where do you draw the line?

Lightspeed

1 hour ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Not tinted-That is a museum piece. A common thing for aircraft on permanent static display is to paint the interior of the canopy. 

Usually Blue however-

cheerz

P

Thanks mate for clarifying that one for me

I'm not a huge aftermarket person, but when I do buy that stuff I try to buy things that add significantly to the build. Decals, weapons and for ships, railings and turned barrels. I gave up long ago buying up cockpit sets and wheel wells etc, I can usually live with what's inside these days.

2 minutes ago, BradG said:

I'm not a huge aftermarket person, but when I do buy that stuff I try to buy things that add significantly to the build. Decals, weapons and for ships, railings and turned barrels. I gave up long ago buying up cockpit sets and wheel wells etc, I can usually live with what's inside these days.

Yeah @BradG am realising that unless iuts in your face, i will not be passing my model for competition voting so if its unseen i will just add scratch built detail.

Nice to see a fellow Aussie on deck:clap2:

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

It will as others already did it.

@thierry laurent can you help me out i cannot find a build thread where it has been adapted to fit, the only one i have seen was a person who wanted to fit it and was replied to and recommended to sell it or use it in a Tamiya build.

8 hours ago, Lightspeed said:

So none of this sort of kit in your stash then. Wow price tag versus the Trumpeter 1/32

https://www.primeportal.net/models/thomas_voigt_reviews/zm_skyraider/index.php?Page=1

I only build WW2 subjects in 1/32 scale and I am pretty picky about what I buy, for example WW2 Lufwaffe subjects are not of much interest to me though I do build the odd one just for fun as I don't get too tied up in the details, a perfect example was the Revell He 219, cheap as chips, I was not too fussed about it being accurate, it was a fun build and the paint job was good for me as it was a bit challenging (mottles).

I buy more expensive kits at shows where they are cheaper, I got a Tamiya Mosquito for less than £100 at the Cosford show, then at Telford I unleashed my wife on the kit dealers and she got me several Uber Tamiya kits for a lot less than the £100 limit, it always works.

Cheers

Dennis

18 hours ago, Lightspeed said:

Not having much luck on Decals at this stage to suit but am trying to source a DACO book here in Aus so i can do further research , found one but its $100, lol i am so stingy.

I haven't looked at the DACO website for a month or two, but their website had the Tomcat book in stock, IIRC. Even with shipping from Europe, I would have thought that ordering direct will be cheaper than 100 Buckeroos. 

Cheers.

Chris.  

55 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I haven't looked at the DACO website for a month or two, but their website had the Tomcat book in stock, IIRC. Even with shipping from Europe, I would have thought that ordering direct will be cheaper than 100 Buckeroos. 

Cheers.

Chris.  

it is even with postage, and yes it is in stock and they give you a DVD for a few more dollars too.

Trouble is if you visit the site you can add it to your cart and thats it, there is no checkout, no contact email, nothing, i have tried several times now and the site was updated in Jan or Feb this year, but like i said you can add items to your cart but you cannot even view your cart let alone find an icon to click on for checkout, go figure.

23 minutes ago, Lightspeed said:

it is even with postage, and yes it is in stock and they give you a DVD for a few more dollars too.

Trouble is if you visit the site you can add it to your cart and thats it, there is no checkout, no contact email, nothing, i have tried several times now and the site was updated in Jan or Feb this year, but like i said you can add items to your cart but you cannot even view your cart let alone find an icon to click on for checkout, go figure.

Send him an email. He's reacting rather quickly.

3 hours ago, Lightspeed said:

@thierry laurent can you help me out i cannot find a build thread where it has been adapted to fit, the only one i have seen was a person who wanted to fit it and was replied to and recommended to sell it or use it in a Tamiya build.

I need to check where I saw that. For sure this is not a drop fit as both kits are different. However, even when the resin pit is allegely tailored for a specific kit, it is not uncommon to be forced to spend some elbow grease to make it fit! In that case Dremel or Proxxon is your best friend!

Send him an email. He's reacting rather quickly.

Got it sorted, i searched  DACO products and it lit me up a different page so my order is in and paid for.

I need to check where I saw that. For sure this is not a drop fit as both kits are different. However, even when the resin pit is allegely tailored for a specific kit, it is not uncommon to be forced to spend some elbow grease to make it fit! In that case Dremel or Proxxon is your best friend!

No problem, appreciate it, i do not expect a drop fit, i have read it is not a drop fit into the Tamiya kit so i am sure i can work with it and remove  and add where necessary.

I also do jewelry as a hobby so most of my gear i can use for my kits too, Jewelers gravrs, drill, tungsten carbide drills and burr of all descriptions etc for scratch building, even casting in metal if i need to so so long as its close i can make it work. Was just interested to see the process and work of others and their finished pit. 

Appreciate your responses Thierry, awesome!!!

One thing I'm also beginning to consider is don't get so bogged down you don't finish your model or end up satisfied before you actually die.

I'm pretty sure many of us are guilty of getting a little fed up with a super detail build and opening another kit box with the best of intentions. Before long...umpteen unbuilt kits.

Have fun.

Matty

14 minutes ago, LSP_Matt said:

One thing I'm also beginning to consider is don't get so bogged down you don't finish your model or end up satisfied before you actually die.

I'm pretty sure many of us are guilty of getting a little fed up with a super detail build and opening another kit box with the best of intentions. Before long...umpteen unbuilt kits.

Have fun.

Matty

Matty, yep for sure mate. I already have a Korbanth SSD resin kit which i started optic fibre lights on and it kind of died there, sick of drilling hundreds and hundreds of .25mm holes:BANGHEAD2:

so the metre long model ended up back in its box, same thing happened when i was doing the optic fibre on my Fine Molds Millenium Falcon, back in its box too.

Not feeling the Star Wars vibe, thinking of selling the Kits, the Korbanth SSD is not being made anymore as far as i know and i have two of the Falcons, just been feeling the F-14 rush since watching TG2.

Hoping i will get the love back for the Swars kits after i complete the Cat. Either that or i will just move the Swars kits on.

Where do I draw the line indeed?
The answer is simple: where my physical capabilities allow me. I don’t care for high-tech nano technologies details that one can only see with the help of a microscope under the light of a UV proctologist lamp!
There’s a current trend of 3-D ‘scratch-builders’ on Facebook trying their hands on details ( real or imaginary) one would never see, trying to ‘improve’ the latest super kits. :rolleyes:
Imagine hearing aid -equipped, 80 year-old rockers discussing the intricacies of the sound made by a hand-wound, lower-magnetic pick-up on a 1952 Telecaster :BANGHEAD2:

Who said life is just a sea of illusions?