Brief airshow report

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

Nice video Gregg.

Did your  Father ever work on these aircrafts when he was at McDonnell  Douglas?

Thank you. 

:yahoo:  :piliot:

Maru, Dad had retired well before the Super Hornets came along both in fleet and Blues service but back in the 80s, his department did make the oil tanks for the smoke system on the Blues' OG Hornets ... The tanks are installed where the normal placement of the gun system is ...

~Gregg

34 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

Maru, Dad had retired well before the Super Hornets came along both in fleet and Blues service but back in the 80s, his department did make the oil tanks for the smoke system on the Blues' OG Hornets ... The tanks are installed where the normal placement of the gun system is ...

~Gregg

My dad too retired from Mac. Over his time there, he worked on various design areas of the Harrier, F-4 and F-15. He loved working there.

16 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

My dad too retired from Mac. Over his time there, he worked on various design areas of the Harrier, F-4 and F-15. He loved working there.

That's cool Kevin, 

my dad worked from the Douglas side of the company.

Worked as a Machinist in Fabrication at El Sugundo, Long Beach and Torrance, CA on everything from DC-8, -9, MD-80, DC -10, MD-11 to military on A-4, F-4, F-15, F/A-18, T-45, YC-15, KC-10, C-17 ...

He retired as the C-17 and T-45 programs were ramping up ...

-Gregg

25 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

The Corsair, is it the same one Joe crashed? Rebuilt?  Somewhere I have a pic of my son standing under it the day before it went down.   

I have no idea.

On 6/20/2022 at 10:01 PM, LSP_K2 said:

I have no idea.

I just looked up the N number.  That’s it. I also forgot that I went and took photos of it back around 1995 before it was restored when I was building a 1/4 scale ziroli RC Corsair. 

Excellent photos. Who owns that Mosquito? My heart aches to k now we will never see these down here in South Africa. Heck, not even our own Air Force really flies anymore. 

Edited by Gerhard

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Awesome photos!  The B-29 is great.  And for some reason, I had no idea that the F-35 canopy hinged at the front!?!  Now I know...

The canopy is hinged like that due to the F-35B model's lift fan cover being so close to the canopy and to maintain as much commonality between the three models, all are hinged that way ...

-Gregg

11 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Excellent photos. Who owns that Mosquito? My heart aches to k now we will never see these down here in South Africa. Heck, not even our own Air Force really flies anymore. 

The airshow web site doesn't really say. There were apparently a lot of aircraft that were either supposed to be there and weren't, or they never left the ground. The show itself (static display area) was about a quarter mile west of where I was sitting, so I have no idea what was really there at all.