Mojo Starters

Uncarina

While I’m fortunately not suffering from this right now, there are times when the modeling muse leaves me altogether. Sometimes from getting bogged down in a build that’s not progressing as I’d like, sometimes from perceived errors where I think I should know better, sometimes from a prolonged absence from the bench due to circumstance.

Various things rekindle that interest for me. A new kit of a charismatic subject might do it, like some of ICM’s kits. Sometimes it’s a low-risk high reward kit like the Bandai Star Wars releases. In hopes this might help those of you suffering from a lack of mojo right now, what are some of your ideas for rekindling that interest?

Cheers,  Tom

Gentleman shaming from my club mates. It is true that I have not brought anything to our club meeting in two months.

I will restart a model after seeing a nice build on line or rereading a book out of my library.

I have restarted my Boulton Paul; it is just a cool kit.   The new frameless turret casting pattern is making its way to the vac machine.  I have photos to post

16 minutes ago, chrish said:

My modelling mojo usually re-ignites (forced re-start) when it’s been out a while, after my wife tells me I’m being a pest, don’t I have something I can build, some model to work on? 
Then I’m back to the hobby room and find something to keep me out of her hair

Oh yeah I forgot about encouragement from my wife.  LOL

Hey Rick,

Did I purchase the La-5 from you?  I have a room full of dust to prove it.   I just managed to install the razorback portion to the rear fuselage.  I'll admit, it's like building a balsa wood (resin) kit of mosterious proportions.   The damn thing is as heavy as a boat anchor.   

Resin sniffer with a mask and dust box to prove it.  Grrrr.   

Troy

For my most recent bout of this - which was really more about trying to rekindle the habit than a loss of mojo - the Bandai Star Wars kits absolutely did the trick. As Tom says at the top, they're low-risk, high-reward propositions, and unbelievably fun to build and paint. But they also make you never want to build anything else!

Kev

37 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

For my most recent bout of this - which was really more about trying to rekindle the habit than a loss of mojo - the Bandai Star Wars kits absolutely did the trick. As Tom says at the top, they're low-risk, high-reward propositions, and unbelievably fun to build and paint. But they also make you never want to build anything else!

Having built a few of these, I can't really argue there. I think if I can manage to get back to the bench I might be able to get back into the swing of things.

27 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Of course I have had some time, but it's switching mental gears back to modeling that is my main problem.

That's a big issue for me, too - not just with scale modelling, but anything. I thrive on momentum, and that's driven by a singular focus on a specific endeavour, whereby it consumes all of your productive cycles - whether that be physical, mental, emotional, or whatever. Switching away from that, even to something I love, is very difficult. And of course, once I do make the switch, I find it hard to switch back! From a time management point of view, breaking my time up into discrete chunks, each with a different task focus, would be the way for me to maximise my productivity across the ever-growing number of domains I need to cover. But in reality, my psyche can't deal with this approach, and it almost always fails.

Head for your Bandai kits when you get a chance, Brian!

Kev

4 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Hey Rick,

Did I purchase the La-5 from you?  I have a room full of dust to prove it.   I just managed to install the razorback portion to the rear fuselage.  I'll admit, it's like building a balsa wood (resin) kit of mosterious proportions.   The damn thing is as heavy as a boat anchor.   

Resin sniffer with a mask and dust box to prove it.  Grrrr.   

Troy

Yes you did buy the La-5 from me.  A room full of dust.  What the heck are you doing!  I am very surprised.  Anyway sanding this resin should be done with water.  I hope you are still having fun.  The decal sheet makes it all worthwhile. 

1/72 Airfix kits sometimes do it for me.

Others say that Tamiya motor bikes are good to kick start the mojo. Not tried that yet but may do soon.

My difficulty is lost momentum on builds. I have kits that sit on the bench part completed and don't move for weeks or months. Not sure if this is lack of mojo or just slow building pace.