1/32 Tamiya P-51D - The Millie G

Hoss FL

• 2 weeks later...

That is really superb. Congratulations on the win. :goodjob:x many.

The photos are great as well: I don't know where they are taken, but the countryside means it could plausibly be Nuthampstead or Wormingford.  (Sorry to be picky @JayW , but not Wormington.  That's in Gloucestershire which is on the edge of 9th AF territory.)

Edited by MikeC

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

The photos are great as well: I don't know where they are taken, but the countryside means it could plausibly be Nuthampstead or Wormingford.  (Sorry to be picky @JayW , but not Wormington.  That's in Gloucestershire which is on the edge of 9th AF territory.)

This from USAAF.com (stations of 55th FG, WW2):  

Stations

NUTHAMPSTEAD 16 Sep. 1943 - 16 Apr. 1944.
WORMINGFORD 16 Apr. 1944 - 21 Jul. 1945.

That, plus the fact that 55th FG converted to Mustangs mid July 1944, means No Mustangs in Nuthampstead.  P-38's - yes.   

59 minutes ago, JayW said:

This from USAAF.com (stations of 55th FG, WW2):  

Stations

NUTHAMPSTEAD 16 Sep. 1943 - 16 Apr. 1944.
WORMINGFORD 16 Apr. 1944 - 21 Jul. 1945.

That, plus the fact that 55th FG converted to Mustangs mid July 1944, means No Mustangs in Nuthampstead.  P-38's - yes.   

Deuce. :)

just came across this - so very inspirational - in part because I am just finishing a RCAF version of the same kite (Mustang). i'm amazed you got the magnet panels to work - i just ignored these and glued in place. I had some issues with the alignment of the engine once mounted (given the solidity of the kit otherwise the mounting of the engine block was a bit of a concern) - but I'm guessing all engine mountings are fraught with risk (i'm kind of new to the hobby after the absence of decades it seems). But the Tamiya kit is without parallel even if you don't need all the bling. A solid kit - literally (the main wheel strut attachment is brilliant and very robust).

I love the balanced weathering you've done- not too much not too little (I do too much). I used the Barracuda radio set too which is awesome. I had to get a Sutton harness for the seat (commonwealth) and used the Quinta dash etc. i had some trouble fitting the front canopy for some reason but the rear sliding canopy is a work of art. 

I came across the same issue with the Eduard gun bays - i wanted at least one bay to be open ... so i toyed with the same idea - to make flanges so it would stay open otherwise one would just look at it and - boing - it would pop off. In the end i used the kit panel but with the Eduard hardware and placard. I used the other Eduard panels as they aren't hinged in real life. 

Thanks again for posting. I realize i have a bit off refinement to do still !!