A-6C

12 hours ago, easixpedro said:

That’s the 70s Navy. As CNO, Zumwalt made a lot of changes that didn’t sit so well with the old breed. 

Ha!  Tell me about it.  My dad was a Chief with 27 years in beginning with WW2.  He ranted about about Zumwalt nonstop for years.  He was most pissed about the switch from Dixie cups and sailor suits in the lower ranks to uniforms more closely resembling a CPO’s uniform.  He was very jealous of his chief’s hat.  Tony McPeak did similar things to the Air Force and nobody much liked that either.  

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Ha!  Tell me about it.  My dad was a Chief with 27 years in beginning with WW2.  He ranted about about Zumwalt nonstop for years.  He was most pissed about the switch from Dixie cups and sailor suits in the lower ranks to uniforms more closely resembling a CPO’s uniform.  He was very jealous of his chief’s hat.  Tony McPeak did similar things to the Air Force and nobody much liked that either.  

Ha! True!  You can read all of Zumwalt's initiatives here: List of Z-grams (navy.mil)  Looking through the list, a lot of it seems common sense (like letting people take leave after deployment).  But one thing is certain--people don't like change and there was a lot of change under the leadership of both individuals. 

13 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

I was in the Air Force and lived through Tony McPeak......:BANGHEAD2:

I was part of the wear test for his stupid navy-style uniforms.  Was stopped repeatedly on bases around the country for being a “foreign” officer.  And then there was his obsession with Total Quality Management.  Unbelievable.

But back to Finn’s photo:  Did the ordies on the boat load everything by hand?  You see an awful lot of photos of them wrestling bombs and such around and onto the airplanes using nothing but muscle power.

2 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

But back to Finn’s photo:  Did the ordies on the boat load everything by hand?  You see an awful lot of photos of them wrestling bombs and such around and onto the airplanes using nothing but muscle power.

For the most part things were loaded by manpower:

76b273606fe9ab6a_large

although heavier and specialty items they had help:

4VQQ7WVUHRGLRENQRRHBQFWMNQ.JPG

74ba03a1c59ca8d6_large

Jari