1/32nd scale Short Sunderland MkII - ID Models (Tigger) vacform

On 6/19/2022 at 10:36 PM, Jack said:

I saw the kit in Dough Feeney's house, when he had ID models, and i was impressed by the amount of styrene plastic involved, and never thought it would be possible to create a Sunderland with what you had to play with, but this is amazing, a real gem, absolutely a winner!!!

Jack.....

Thanks, Jack. I met Doug at a model show many years ago and he was working on one of his 1/32nd B-17 vacs. He'd scratch built all of the interior from plastic card and the like and I was blown away by what he'd done. I distinctly remember him saying that he gave the modeller the blank canvass and it then it is up to them make their masterpiece. I still quote him regularly to this day and it holds so true for this type of model. It was indeed Doug himself who inspired me to get into vacforms, and shortly after I bought one of his 1/32nd B-25s. I made a bit of a fist of it, but it certainly was a first step into a dark and mysterious world :)

On 6/21/2022 at 4:29 AM, LSP_Mike said:

Fantastic work. Quite a journey, and a very nice result.

Thank you. And, yes - a journey indeed. Made a little longer by the unscheduled first flight from the kitchen table, but it was certainly a couple of years well spent in modelling terms. 

Tom

OMG this is insane. The Sunderland has always been one of my favourites like allot of flying boats but i never thought anything bigger than... well like 1/72 was possible. i'd need to upgrade to a 4 bedroom house for that baby. very satisfying for sure to work from the basic vac kit to this. 

On 6/24/2022 at 10:46 PM, Phartycr0c said:

Tom to add to the positive comments of the collective, this build is superlative. To take a blank canvas in such a way and turn it into this beautiful build is beyond amazing. 

Congratulations on completing this, a showstopper for sure. 

On 6/25/2022 at 3:48 AM, Jboldt007 said:

OMG this is insane. The Sunderland has always been one of my favourites like allot of flying boats but i never thought anything bigger than... well like 1/72 was possible. i'd need to upgrade to a 4 bedroom house for that baby. very satisfying for sure to work from the basic vac kit to this. 

Thank you, gentlemen - your kind words are appreciated! 

Congrats with such a spektacular result of this project !!

Every  vac project of yours is a 'must see', 'must follow' and a 'must admire' thing for me. And this is just as fantastic as the others - I know cause I've been on a ID (tigger) quest some years ago with a result less stellar than yours (but never the less very rewarding).

Remarkable !

Thomas 

Edited by Thomas Lund

• 3 months later...
On 6/10/2022 at 2:30 AM, tomprobert said:

Thanks - and yes I’d be honoured. 

Tom

Article is posted

Sorry for the delay! I lost my computer and it has taken awhile to find the material I had planned on posting to the website.

Anyway, an amazing build of a vac; well done!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

On 6/27/2022 at 1:57 PM, Thomas Lund said:

Congrats with such a spektacular result of this project !!

Every  vac project of yours is a 'must see', 'must follow' and a 'must admire' thing for me. And this is just as fantastic as the others - I know cause I've been on a ID (tigger) quest some years ago with a result less stellar than yours (but never the less very rewarding).

Remarkable !

Thomas 

Thank you, Thomas! Was it you who did the Ka-45 Nick a few years back??

On 6/28/2022 at 6:54 PM, Cicciuzzo said:

Does it fly? :lol: ✈️

Haven’t tried, but no doubt my wife was tempted to test it on occasions when I’d taken over the kitchen whilst building it!

9 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Article is posted

Sorry for the delay! I lost my computer and it has taken awhile to find the material I had planned on posting to the website.

Anyway, an amazing build of a vac; well done!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thanks, Ray - I’m honoured. 

• 5 weeks later...

As I was scrolling through the photographs, I thought "beautiful model" and "nice photography" but I was getting ready to ask you to provide us with something that shows the SIZE and SCALE of the aircraft! 

Then I got to the last one with you holding it.  HOLY MOLY, that airplane is BIG!

I knew it would be huge but that is....huge! 

Anyway, looks awesome!  Display with pride!