Revell 1/32 Me 262 A-1a W.Nr. 110958 'White 17' III./EJG 2 - THE COCKPIT

Hello,

After having worked for a loooong time on the Revell 1/32 Fw 190 A-8 I needed something else to get my mojo back. The Fw 190 A-8 is almost ready for paint, but when I went over the fuselage rivets again to prepare the surface for painting, the glue joints of the cockpit broke and the cockpit got detached. Fortunately not on all sides so that I can push it up again from the bottom, but that incident vaporized my motivation for a while. So hopefully a fresh start will bring the motivation back.

This time it is my favourite WW2 aircraft, the Me 262. I opted for 'White 17' W.Nr. 110958 of III./EJG 2 at Lechfeld for a number of reasons: 1) it is a very well documented bird, 2) there exists a color photo, 3) it had a very interesting camouflage with a nose section that came from a different aircraft (the nose tip appears to be from a 3rd aircraft).

d29b98c996207ac036d25d153b3544ba.jpg

The Revell kit has great details out of the box. I wanted to use the kit parts for the cockpit as I don't like Eduard's color printed P/E approach as it is too flat and it depicts a blind flying panel for a very late production variant that had a single-axis auto pilot and required a large repeater compass. Unfortunately, they don't offer resin parts anymore like they did for the Fw 190. The kit part is very good except that instrument layout is that of a early production model and has a cabin pressure gauge that was never installed in serial production aircraft (only in some prototypes or aircraft for testing):

DSC06273.jpg.6bbd76fdfdbfcdee67235ae5497

Around the end of 1944, there was an effort to simplify the Me 262, the so-called 'Entfeinerung'. It is even mentioned in the cockpit overview of the pilot's manual, but I have also copies of wartime Messerschmitt documents that prove this. Very late production aircraft did not have the two differential pressure and oil pressure indicators anymore, just the fuel gauges and fuel pressure indicators and the two rpm indicator. W.Nr. 110958 was built around January 1945 and still had the differential pressure and oil pressure gauges. There exists immediate postwar footage of the cockpit of W.Nr. 110426 (captured by the Russians) and I own an original immediate postwar photo of the cockpit of W.Nr. 110836 that I use as reference for the required changes:

- Remove the cabin pressure gauge (left of the SZKK2 round counter box)

- Remove the indicators for the MK 108 underneath the SZKK2, the holes were sometimes left open or covered by a sheet of metall or fabric

- Remove the fuel warning indicators (again, the holes were sometimes left open or were covered)

- Remove the Junghans watch on the left side of the cabin pressure gauge as they were very rarely installed (in most cases the opening was left open)

- The casings of the ASI and rate of climb indicator on the backside are too short and needs to be replaced with longer casings

52124989134_05350ecd1f_o_d.jpg

52125198300_eeea1f9377_k_d.jpg

The second thing I wanted to correct was the relatively crude ZSK 244 bomb fusing auxiliary panel that was fitted to almost all the Me 262 As except for the recon versions and the ones (retro)fitted with R4M rockets. The ZSK 244 front plate is quite good, but the panel is flat and doesn't correspond to the original at all. The original had an angle of 15 degrees vs. vertical so that the pilot could better see and operate the instrument.

52125198070_5cc5edf09b_k_d.jpg

52124989154_9b808307b2_b_d.jpg

Here are two photos of the original part:

Zusatzger%C3%A4tebrett-Me-262-A-2-_02.jp

Zusatzger%C3%A4tebrett-Me-262-A-2-_08.jp

I constructed one from scratch using the dimensions of the original and photos as reference. The only part from the kit I used was the front plate of the ZSK 244. I had to carefully sand the kit part to the appropriate thickness. 

52124941509_80f0ae9229_k_d.jpg

52124699306_2bd5a86521_k_d.jpg

52124729083_ab67b952c3_k_d.jpg

52124941829_8ff3f9691f_k_d.jpg

It was a lot of work, but now I am happy with the way the instrument panel looks. Next is painting. 

Roger

Edited by VintageEagle

On 6/5/2022 at 11:11 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Terrific project, Roger! Will be following for sure.

Kev

Thank you Kev!

On 6/6/2022 at 10:12 AM, Fanes said:

That's a good start!

Bookmark is set for future reference (a recon 262A-1a/U3 is in the plans).

Thank you Fanes. The reconnaissance version didn't have the ZSK 244 auxiliary panel as you probably know already, but two indicators for the cameras in the lower center section of the main instrument panel. I'm looking forward to follow your build if you plan to share your progress here.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:21 AM, dodgem37 said:

Nice detailin'.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark!

On 6/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, MARU5137 said:

Roger,

Nice choice for your build.

Lovely start.

:clap2:

Thank you Maru5137!

Just a small update. I have made a small modification to the left console. The cylindrical part on the rear side is the hand pump for the windshield washing system. However, this was only introduced very late towards the end of the war and only few aircraft were fitted with it. One example is Me 262 W.Nr. 501232 'Yellow 5' that today is at the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB:

210922-F-AU145-3127.JPG

However, the majority of Me 262s did not have the windshield washing system and there was no pump installed. Therefore, I removed it from the kit part. The other modification is a hole that I added. In the original, that's where the oxygen hose came out of the console. Here are photos of before and after the modifications (the small black spot is a small hole that I filled with black c/a glue):

52131068901_afff021449_o_d.jpg 

52130047917_cf018c4fc0_o_d.jpg

A small modification is also required on the right console. There was a bracket, two straps and two holes that were possibly used when a portable altitude recorder was installed. All wartime or postwar photos of German Me 262s only show the bracket and straps, but not what device had been installed there. In the Czech Avia S-92 there is a portable altitude recorder installed and it may well be that that was also the purpose of the bracket and straps in the German Me 262s. 

Next is the right console. I have already started painting some of the parts and will then detail the instrument panel.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:33 AM, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Going to follow this, do love a 262, to much interference from top brass kept it from playing havoc with the bombers.

Thank you Nighthawk Calling 1. I have a second Me 262 in my stash that I will build as a bomber interceptor with R4M rockets (most likely Heinz Arnold's 'Yellow 7').

On 6/8/2022 at 4:51 PM, Uncarina said:

Very impressive start!

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you Tom!

On 6/13/2022 at 6:24 PM, MARU5137 said:

SUPER start. 

Like it very much.

:goodjob:

:clap2:

*MY likes ran out *.

Thank you MARU5137!

On 6/13/2022 at 6:36 PM, Thunnus said:

Fantastic!  I can tell that this one is going to be one of those that will be bookmarked as a reference by many.  I love the modifications.

Thank you John! These words coming from you means a lot to me. I have been following your builds of Luftwaffe (and other) aircraft very closely. They are among the best I have ever seen. You are not only talented at detailing, but also at paiinting and weathering. I actually use your Me 262 B build as reference and have bought your ebook 'Building the Revell Me 262B-1/U1 Nachtjäger in 1/32 Scale' published by KLP Publishing (which I can only recommend to anyone building the Revell Me 262A or B). 

On 6/13/2022 at 7:38 PM, D.B. Andrus said:

Excellent work, Roger!

Cheers,

Damian

Thank you Damian! By the way, do you also offer the composite plastic-metal landing gear for the Me 262? If yes, I'd be your happy customer for two sets :-)

OK, some progress to report. I have detailed and painted the main panel and consoles. First, the added details:

1) Left Console:

There was a vertical wooden bar attached to the side wall, which I have added. It added tension to a cord and kept it in the right position. One end was attached to the forward edge of the left sidewall (1 in the drawing below). The other end of the cord was attached to the RATO rocket brackets underneath the fuselage (7 in the drawing below). From the attachment point it led rearwards along the sidewall and behind the seat where it was redirected upwards. It protruded from the rear cockpit cover, but entered the fuselage again after a short distance. The wartime manual provides a good overview of the system:

LETU9Ia.jpg

I will only add the cord after I have applied all decals and throttle, fuel tank selector levers, but you can see the vertical bar used keeping the cord in its right position. And here is how it looks like on the kit part (the hole near the forward edge of the console wall gave access to the push button of the oxygen regulator. By pushing it, the pilot received pure oxygen):

52147497375_654c86ca55_k_d.jpg

52147006251_df0c14e2c0_k_d.jpg

2) Right Console:

As I wrote in my last post, there were some kind of guiding rails and straps attached to the rear console. They were attached to all Me 262s I have examined in detail (photos of all surviving examples and photos taken of some of the captured Me 262s brought to the US for evaluation). Interestingly, they are not mentioned in any wartime manual nor Messerschmitt document I have seen. The post-war Czech Avia S-92 has an altitude recorder installed, which would fit, but I have some doubts that that was indeed the purpose of these rails. An altitude recorder would certainly not have been a standard equipment and hence, why care to install these rails in all aircraft? Anyways, I tried to recreate them. The parts are tiny and it was very fiddly to glue them in place, but finally I managed. However, I am not sure if I would add them again in my next build because they will hardly be visible in the dark rear setion of the cockpit. Here is how the original looks like (taken during the restoration of the NASM Me 262, note that the two switches are unique to the NASM Me 262 and their purpose is unclear):

52147008761_8afb6ea816_c_d.jpg

One thing I noticed while trying to figure out the dimensions of the rails is that the instruments and equipment rearwards of the main electrical switch board are placed too far aft in the kit part, but I am sure nobody would ever notice it. Here is the painted console with the rails and straps:

52147497600_42b262b626_k_d.jpg

52145988627_5a739d4ced_k_d.jpg

3) Cockpit:

No additional detailing other than the one mentioned in the first post, but I painted the instruments. Most of them were made out of brown bakelite, but some were made of metal (fuel gauges) or black bakelite. I also painted the back of the instrument casings (most of it won't be visible at the end, but what will be is at least accurate). Note that I placed the battery behind the panel to support it for the photograph:

52147244379_5592958c25_k_d.jpg

52145988697_61b69128f4_k_d.jpg

Next step is to apply a clear coat before I can add decals for labels and instruments. Then the missing parts like throttle levers, etc. will be added and a flat coat will seal everything off. 

On 6/14/2022 at 2:46 PM, VintageEagle said:

Thank you John! These words coming from you means a lot to me. I have been following your builds of Luftwaffe (and other) aircraft very closely. They are among the best I have ever seen. You are not only talented at detailing, but also at paiinting and weathering. I actually use your Me 262 B build as reference and have bought your ebook 'Building the Revell Me 262B-1/U1 Nachtjäger in 1/32 Scale' published by KLP Publishing (which I can only recommend to anyone building the Revell Me 262A or B). 

Then we have a mutual admiration party, Roger!  Thank you for supporting the Me262B book!  And I love the progress on the cockpit sidewalls!  They are painted excellently with a nice weathering touch.

On 6/15/2022 at 12:08 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice progress, Roger! Glad you found John's book useful, too.

Kev

Thank you Kev. Yes, his book is a great inspriation and help to avoid any pitfalls with this kit. 

On 6/15/2022 at 4:23 AM, Rockie Yarwood said:

Really enjoy following along, Roger. Educational and inspirational.

Thank you Rockie Yarwood!

On 6/15/2022 at 8:41 AM, MARU5137 said:

Superb  progress.

Researched well.

:goodjob:

:thumbsup:

Thank you MARU5137! 

On 6/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, John1 said:

Just stumbled upon this build.  There is some amazing work here, thanks for taking the time to provide all the details of the real thing.  Good stuff indeed! 

Thank you John1. I will try to continue to provide some details of the 1:1 Me 262. 

On 6/16/2022 at 7:56 PM, Thunnus said:

Then we have a mutual admiration party, Roger!  Thank you for supporting the Me262B book!  And I love the progress on the cockpit sidewalls!  They are painted excellently with a nice weathering touch.

Thank you John! I use your book as an inspiration. I am sure my model will not even look half as good in the end, but much bettern than had I not had your book as a guide. 

OK, only a short update as my time was limited in the past few days. Several labels, which in the real thing were actually decals too, were attached to the left console next to the instruments and levers. They were black with white text and a white outline around the edge of the labels. The Revell decal sheet provides some of these, but on my example the white and black colors were completely misaligned so that I could not use any of these. @Thunnus, based on the cockpit photos in your book, your Revell decal sheet appears to have been aligned, so maybe just bad luck for me.

Anyways, I started to cut tiny stripes for the labels from a white decal sheet. The idea is to place a slightly smaller black stripe on top of the white stripe to get the white outline. You can imagine how a fiddly work this is, but I managed to add all white labels and for one also the black (the one on the vertical wall of the console). Next is to add also the black labels on top of the remaining white labels and then with a very pointy brush to imitate the instructions on them. A lot of work that ultimately will hardly be visible, but I just can't help not to add this detail. I tend to lose myself in details at the cost of modelling speed and sometimes it would be better to be faster with less details.

52161781920_71cd84c4c0_k_d.jpg

52161297588_325867faaa_k_d.jpg