AIMS Spitfire PR1G using Revell Mk II kit

Pastor John

I can see what you mean, I've just had a quick scan of some of my Spitfire photos and a google search, the hatch seems to be quite elusive, it is evident on some but not all Mk.V's but it does not appear to be present on wartime Mk I and II.

It does however seem to be present on restored aircraft, and is there on the Science museum Mk.1a so it could be a later modification.

Not very helpful I'm afraid.

l5BfYt.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis great photo - not the Science Museum but the Imperial War Museum actually but amazing photo thanks this is a Mk Ia with hatch that matches style and position os the clearest Mk I wartime photos - and in every case no panel line. But the question remains - what  style and location was represented on the Mk II? If the Bof B Memorial flight cowl is original and from a production Mk II then the problem is solved - i.e the same as Mk V but if the said aircraft's cowl is fabricated then the question remains open but I think it is correct as the Mk II standardised the different features of the Mk I and those standards were passed onto the Mk V and so it was make perfect sense that the style and position of the hatch on the MK II and V is the same. So far it also appears that no Mk I or II had this panel line and so I think it is safe to delete it regardless of some warbirds having it now 

Just looked through my Spitfire Mark I/II Aces 1939 - 1941 and there is a photo on Page 59 of Presentation Mark II P8098/PR-Z and its pilot Flt Lt Johnnie Curchin, you can just see the hatch. Googled it and the same photo is here but not as clear as the one in the book.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LUXDCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT124&lpg=PT124&dq=JOHNNIE+CURCHIN&source=bl&ots=yLuDv14vVP&sig=ACfU3U2NoiXF9eTBn8MejqocXezZZB2rvA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjKjK3qpN_4AhXIk4kEHYRMCAcQ6AF6BAgdEAM#v=onepage&q=JOHNNIE CURCHIN&f=false

Cheers

Dennis

5 hours ago, Pastor John said:

Dennis I need to know first of all if it should be there at all as I can not see it on any war time photo of a Mk II that the part will be sold for

The top cowling panel line appears late in Mk.II production and on other CBAF made Spitfires Mk.Vb etc (but not all). 

Edited by rsanz

AIMS 1/32 Spitfire PR 1G conversion (using Revell Mk II kit) with Barracuda details update.
Spinner reshaping coming along (third layer of thinner) still lots to do. A layer of Mr Paint Fine white surface primer confirmed that I had deleted the kits sink marks well enough and helped me to see that I was very happy with my reshaped wheel clearance blisters. Thanks for looking, J
20220704-145915.jpg20220704-150207.jpg20220704-150237.jpg

AIMS 1/32 Spitfire PR 1G conversion (using Revell Mk II kit) with Barracuda details update.
Well it has been a terrible week for my hands and I have hardly been able to do a thing and but I was able to cut the clear acetate - cutting it much bigger than just the 6mm circle that I needed - then flex it and then superglue it at the edges to avoid any fogging closer to the centre. The wooded camera box once again came to my rescue as I simply needed to cut a piece wide enough for the rear portal so that the acetate could not un-flex and was trapped in place and in shape. I added some future floor varnish to the outside windows so that it will creep into the join. Thanks
John
20220709-083116.jpg20220709-083215.jpg20220709-083416.jpg
Edited by Pastor John

Well things are slow because of mistakes I have made as well as my hands. Tomorrow I see a professor of neurology in Budapest. i have waited a year to see this person. Anyway I had been concentrating so hard on my PR 1G being a conversion from a Mk I airframe that I forgot to double check the correct oil cooler and of course it is supposed to be the Mk V style one for the Merlin 45 that the PR 1G had and so it was carefully popped out and Roy Sutherland is kindly sending me the replacement part I need, thanks Roy. I have finished the kits spinner and prop corrections as best I can and I hope you like. I will let you know when available. I also will have available at approx the same time the Mk I upper Cowl and the Mk II upper cowl. The differences are slight but it is up to you. Thanks for looking
J
20220712-112135.jpg20220712-112303.jpgIMGP7090.jpgIMGP7104.jpg

On 7/4/2022 at 8:08 AM, Pastor John said:

Dennis great photo - not the Science Museum but the Imperial War Museum actually but amazing photo thanks this is a Mk Ia with hatch that matches style and position os the clearest Mk I wartime photos - and in every case no panel line. But the question remains - what  style and location was represented on the Mk II? If the Bof B Memorial flight cowl is original and from a production Mk II then the problem is solved - i.e the same as Mk V but if the said aircraft's cowl is fabricated then the question remains open but I think it is correct as the Mk II standardised the different features of the Mk I and those standards were passed onto the Mk V and so it was make perfect sense that the style and position of the hatch on the MK II and V is the same. So far it also appears that no Mk I or II had this panel line and so I think it is safe to delete it regardless of some warbirds having it now 

Hey, John

Had a look thru my files, these are the clearest Mk II period pics I could find, seems to me that the wraparound panel line at the first exhaust stack was definitely there, at least on some (later?) birds. As you mentioned earlier, it definitely wasn't present on any wartime Mk I's but I've found it on a number of different Mk II's.

First up, here's the clearest shot I've got and the panel line seems quite evident, at least to me. It's a good look at the coolant hatch as well, which seems closer to the Mk V than the Mk I in shape. Also, note the screw (as opposed to a Dzus fastner) that @rsanz pointed out, directly above that first exhaust stack.

uE1VJ9Z.jpg

Here's another, this one takes a little more work to see the panel line, but my Mk I eyeball can definitely spot it on this Mk II Spit.

gRmsk2R.jpg

This is a well-known period color photo of a well-worn 72 Squadron Spittie over the northeast coast of Britain in April, 1941.

nbuHeKu.jpg

A little indistinct, let's pull in a little closer.

9WJeOsb.jpg

Yep, that panel line is still there, at least to my eye. Also, another look at the coolant hatch, and again it seems closer to the Mk V design to me.

Voilà, I'll keep an eye out for any other Mk II cowling pics I can find and make sure to post them here if I find anything worthwhile.

Hope that helped, cheers

- Thomaz

• 5 weeks later...