AIMS Spitfire PR1G using Revell Mk II kit

Pastor John

AIMS 1/32 Spitfire PR 1G conversion (using Revell Mk II kit) with Barracuda details update.
For sure this update is of little interest but everything now is really just trying to do the groundwork for a nice paint job on the airframe latter on. The Barracuda parts were blended in and started to be sprayed, black Mr Paint undercoat confirmed remaining sink hole issues as well as showing me that i am happy with my more accurately shaped wheel clearance blisters and other things were done to the wings and ailerons and landing flap interiors to make everything fit as well as possible - as I say all just groundwork! A few other things that are perhaps more interesting to you - I am so happy that my wooden camera box paid off - not only is the alignment perfect without any adjustments but it can be seen when looking into the radio hatch. I hate flash photography but it helps show you what I can see. Finally I had purchased the Quickboost De Havilland spinner for the Hobby Boss Mk V kit as I could see the Revell kit's spinner shape was odd - being too short by 0.7mm so that the point curves in dramatically. Sadly however the Quickboost part is 1mm too narrow as well as being 1mm too long so almost looks like a Mk IX spinner. I have applied some Milliput onto the end of the Revell spinner in the hope of getting a better shape.
20220630-150610.jpg20220630-151940.jpg20220630-152123.jpg20220630-152257.jpg20220630-154651.jpg20220630-154718.jpg20220630-152425.jpg
Edited by Pastor John

Thanks everyone - really appreciated! Matt the paints are Mr Paint range on the whole and the I almost drown everything in Tamiya smoke and let it pool. It is only my second time using Tamiya smoke and I am struggling to control it as I am not a smoker lol, but enjoying doing something still very new to me - in the same way I have never detailed a Spitfire cockpit and have loved it - doing news things is very good for the modeller brain haha - good to not do Ju 88s all the time!

AIMS 1/32 Spitfire PR 1G conversion (using Revell Mk II kit) with Barracuda details update.
Just a little update - I have not really been able to really capture in photos the massive improvement the Barracuda oil cooler and radiator units make to the Revell kit - the ramps for the radiator are amazing and make a massive difference and the faces of the radiator have correct vertical vanes rather than the horizontal vanes provided by Eduard for the Revell kit parts - so if you were ever sitting on the fence regarding if to spend extra money on your build or not - get off the fence for this product! The Barracuda radiator faces can only be improved upon by adding triangular braces to the corners (spotted after the upper housing was in place sadly) and the flap obviously needs its actuators and bracing rods which I will do latter. Finally with the fuselage buttoned up it was possible to add the final triangular bracing to the pilots bulkhead. Thanks and hope this helps somewhat. J
20220701-090711.jpg20220701-090815.jpg20220701-102431.jpg20220701-102517.jpg20220701-100802.jpg
Edited by Pastor John

Very glad I held off putting the upper cowl into production as I spotted that the forward propeller pitch oil filler hatch detail and location provided on the Revell kit is perhaps wrong - it is certainly wrong for a Merlin 45 installation but I have not been able to confirm the location and style for a Merlin XII installation - please sing out if you know? Thanks. I have changed my own cast as my PR1G has a Merlin 45 but cannot go ahead with production of the part until I know for sure the situation for the Merlin XII used with the Spitfire Mk II. Please also note that Revell have placed 4 fasteners aft of the exhausts as per the Mk IX - the centre one needs removed and a new one added between the two remaining to be correct. Thanks, J
20220701-130043.jpg20220701-130002.jpg
Edited by Pastor John

Reshaped kits de Havilland spinner (second layer of filler) and prop blade (on the left) - what do you think? Maybe another product haha! J
20220701-175530.jpg
Edited by Pastor John