Ukrainian MiG-29

17 minutes ago, Aviacom said:

Who does a kit of this? 
Is it possible to do a Ukrainian aircraft from one of the Trumpeter MiG-29 kits?

I believe the Trumpeter MiG-29C kit is basically a 9-13

I just finished this one.. Pics just taken with my mobile phone..

cAzwrP.jpgeHDptp.jpgaLQXIA.jpgt3Y7it.jpg

Edited by Zola25

4 hours ago, Zola25 said:

I believe the Trumpeter MiG-29C kit is basically a 9-13

I just finished this one.. Pics just taken with my mobile phone..

cAzwrP.jpgeHDptp.jpgaLQXIA.jpgt3Y7it.jpg

Absolutely correct. Trumpeter does the job.
However, for the best tooling out there you have to go smaller for G.W.H. option.

Damn this is fine! How did you make the camo??

2 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Absolutely correct. Trumpeter does the job.
However, for the best tooling out there you have to go smaller for G.W.H. option.

Damn this is fine! How did you make the camo??

With a little help from you ;).. 

I will set up my lightbox this weekend and take some proper picture so I can post the build in the RFI section

I first used the masking set I already had from Foxbot but I screwed up the colors badly so I had to start over.. For the second go I used the freshly released set from DN Models. :) Paint are all MRP

The decals were announced by Foxbot during my build so I wrote Oleg from Foxbot who agreed to send me a sheet straight from the warzone In Kyiv. That just makes the build a little special to me.. 

/Niels 

PS There is No "smaller".. Go big or go home I say :D

Edited by Zola25

10 hours ago, Zola25 said:

Man this does look great!

If you are interested in sharing pictures to be shown on the DN's website, feel free to PM me.

I would prefer 32nd any day of the week, but GWH kit is really great, while Trumpeter is not so much.

You know how to alter this obviously, but not all of us :)

7 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Man this does look great!

If you are interested in sharing pictures to be shown on the DN's website, feel free to PM me.

I would prefer 32nd any day of the week, but GWH kit is really great, while Trumpeter is not so much.

You know how to alter this obviously, but not all of us :)

Thanks! - I will post the pictures one of the coming days. The weekend is getting away from me a bit :huh:

I actually have the GWH kit and it is indeed good. When I got back into the hobby 4-5 years ago I thought I was going to build mainly 1/48 scale kits like I did back in the 80´s and early 90´s... but 1/32 is where I live now. The Trumpeter 1/32 MiG-29C kit is actually not bad at all but it is not one of their best kits. There is also a major difference from the late MiG-29 kits and their earlier models. The latest versions are certainly better

25 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

To be clear, you’re talking late and early in the context of release order.  The early Trumpeter releases were the later Mig-29M and Mig-29K.  The later releases were the earlier Mig-29A, C, UB, and SMT, which were a lot better than the M and K.

Yes.. That is what I meant to say. Thanks ;)

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

To be clear, you’re talking late and early in the context of release order.  The early Trumpeter releases were the later Mig-29M and Mig-29K.  The later releases were the earlier Mig-29A, C, UB, and SMT, which were a lot better than the M and K.

They actually have little in common. Interesting approach from Trumpeter. Although IMHO simplistic, newer toolings are acceptable. 
I have a negative thing with MiG-29 that is why I stayed away from it, but I really liked their SMT option.

1 hour ago, Zola25 said:

Yes.. That is what I meant to say. Thanks ;)

What are the colors you used? I am being constantly asked this over and over. Since we don't advise on colors, would you?

11 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

What are the colors you used? I am being constantly asked this over and over. Since we don't advise on colors, would you?

Yes sure; I basically used the MRP paints released for the Ukrainian Su25 digital camo but with a few differences. Most importantly the Lightest Grey on the MiG-29 looks to be much lighter than the Su25 - almost white, but not quite.. I used a black primer Mr Surfacer 1500 mixed 40/60 with Mr Levelling Thinner

For the Digital Camo I used (Dark to Light):

MRP-034 Tank Grey (MRP-405 seems to be too light for the MiG-29)

MRP-403 Grey

MRP-402 Light Grey

MRP-246 Light Arctic Grey

The underside is painted with MRP 405 Blue Grey

/Niels

That is one beautiful MIG-29!!!! I've thought about buying one to build 

and paint it up like that for Ukraine as well! I'd have  to display it on a different

shelf though. The sidewinder seeker heads on my F-15 would start growling

if they were close proxcimity of each other! LOL!!!

"Let's Go Ukraine"

Cheers...Ron