ICM Fiat CR.42 CN from 377 squadriliga - completed

Fanes

Big thanks to Tom, Jeroen, Andreas and of course everyone who's watching this build!

I had been absent from the bench for work reasons, then family reasons and finally because of a short vacation in northern Italy.

The last two days were used to gloss coat the little Fiat with my trusted Tamiya X-20 and levelling thinner.

Photos will follow as soon, as I have the decals on.

Stickers applied

Now with Quang on my heels, I had the motivation (and also time) to apply the decals.

I read quite some horror stories about ICM decals being too thin, sometimes they shatter and most of the time they're supposed to fold over.

Well, I didn't have any similar problems.

They were put on with quite a lot of water, then the backing paper was pulled away in situ.

Even without decal softer, they levelled themself smoothly. With some Daco medium applied, the panel lines and the little domes on the cowl were no issue.

1299474-34859-14-1440.jpg

The ungrateful macro reveals more imperfections in the gloss coat and black, than with the carrier films..

Even without a protective clear coat above, the edges aren't that visible.

1299473-34859-37-1440.jpg

Overall standing so far:

1299475-34859-44-1440.jpg

The last clear coat is drying as I type these lines. The next steps will be weathering with some filters, a black panel line wash and maybe some oils to tone down the bright decals.

If been postponing this post (ha :D) like forever.

I'm talking about applying filters over the black to enhance the contrast I laid down with the mottle.

Quang's advice with the clear red and blue proved to be an excellent idea but was almost impossible to capture in a photograph.

Well, here's as good as it got.

A4LqLSt.jpg

The Red gave not only a slight orange sheen, but also made the brown mottle more visible. Both disappeared in the photo above...

The upper parts and their blue filter worked a little more obvious, since they simply needed the blueish mottle to pop a little more.

cVFb8Zd.jpg

I hope, you get the idea.

The high gloss black really was an annoying dust magnet and way too refelctive for the camera - reminds me: I need a better lighting setup!

The flat coat was applied today and I'm hoping for some better light conditions tomorrow to take some pictures for you mates.

Edited by Fanes
Switch to imgur

To oil filter, or not to filter

I'll start with two black on black photos:

A4JuVq6.jpg

8Nrqtzu.jpg

That's where I'm at with a black panel line wash (barely visible, as it should be) and with a flat coat (Gunze UV cut - great stuff) applied. I plan on applying a dead flat acrylic coat to the cowling and all the panels in front of the windscreen.

Before that, I'd usually put on an oil filter to get some varaition and to pull the camo colours together.
Right now the decals seem a tad too bright to my eye.

What do you think?

In fact, it’s mostly the blue that hurts. :P 
A readily improvement would be to replace the ‘pure’ true blue with a ‘greyed’ variety (greyed meaning adding a bit of contrasting colour like brown to dirty up the blue and make it less vibrant). It would be easier to paint the triangle and the disc with the greyed blue before applying the decal motifs.

HTH

Quang

Fair point Quang, it's definitely the blue.

If I only had any spare decals to cut accordingly and replace the ones already applied :unsure:

My best idea so far: dabble grey and brown oils over the blue regions to make them less vibrant.

A thin transparent black/brown layer like Tamiya Smoke over the decals should do.

Or else Payne’s Grey or Umber oils thinned with Liquin or another type of medium.
As long as it’s thin and transparent because it’s a filter you need.

Edited by quang

Filters it is

Because an acyrcilc filter couldn't be wiped of, I decided to use oils.

I mixed up neutral grey, umber and burnt umber with Liquin medium und some thinner.

mZQhhGK.jpg

And here we have them applied to the fuselage decals. I started with the darker tones and finished with the Grey.

sqd7JNJ.jpg

You can see some beach marks from the oils. They were supposed to diasppear under another flat coat.

Guess what: Everything worked fine except for one part: the flat coatr frosted like hell and I now have to repair that as well :BANGHEAD2:

Hi Joachim,

Looks like you need to know how to work with Liquin. :coolio:
HERE

@03:50 Study the part where the instructor talks about ‘glaze’ (‘filter’ in our hobby).

See how you can increase or lower the transparency of the paint by varying the amount of Liquin.

Two more things:

Don’t mix thinner with Liquin because it would defeat the purpose of Liquin.

Also in our hobby, the Liquin layer is supposed to be the very last coat on the model. So don’t varnish over Liquin.

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

On 9/19/2022 at 10:36 PM, quang said:

Hi Joachim,

Looks like you need to know how to work with Liquin. :coolio:
HERE

@03:50 Study the part where the instructor talks about ‘glaze’ (‘filter’ in our hobby).

See how you can increase or lower the transparency of the paint by varying the amount of Liquin.

Two more things:

Don’t mix thinner with Liquin because it would defeat the purpose of Liquin.

Also in our hobby, the Liquin layer is supposed to be the very last coat on the model. So don’t varnish over Liquin.

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

Oh well, I've been (obviously) using it wrong for quite some time now :hmmm:

Thanks for the help - I'll try again once I have repaired the clear coat!