1/32 Bf109E-4 with PeilG IV (Done)

IainM

Lovely! I think I can play in this GB!!!! I've been contemplating my next build, and this GB has kicked its start time a wee bit earlier than planned
I don't have any pics to put up at the moment, as I'm busy re-arranging my garage workshop, but as soon as I'm done, I'll post some images

Kit will be the Dragon 1/32 Bf109E-4/B kit with the AML (ex-Owl) PeilG IV conversion set to replicate a bird from .10/NJG1 in 1941. I have some extra stuff to throw at it as well....

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Made a quick start on this project, using some of the HGW interior detail set to replace some of the kit parts. Honestly, they're not really needed as the kit details are so good, but I wasn't going to waste the opportunity. I have elected to leave some PE details out as I thought the kit offerings were better.

7Dt0fK.jpg

Cockpit floor, ammo bins and engine assembled. Excellent fit - although that's the last time the engine will be intact, I know I'll have to cut some of the pipes off and trim the rocker covers in the front to get the engines cowls to fit. If it's anything like the Bf110's I've built, getting the cowls on properly will require some diligent hacking of the engine!

TLTzv7.jpg

Seat, gun deck, Revi sight, rudder pedals and rear cockpit wall.

rMyecV.jpg

I had originally bought a Yahu IP for my Eduard 109E-4 (horrible moulding issues, will become spares), and was hoping that it would fit this Dragon kit. No such luck!!
So instead of painting the kit IP face/instruments, I decided to replace the dials with colour PE from an Eduard set I have. So details have been sanded off, the dials assembled.

JPwyzf.jpg

After hacking engine to pieces and some judicious sanding, I've managed to get it to go together quite well. Just had to be careful what I took off, as there is still quite a bit visible through the cowl openings, and you do actually need the engine in there to be able to build the nose!!!

Once again, the Dragon instruction manual left me scratching my head!! More of the very rough guide sometimes :lol:

6PVBf9.jpg

The AML conversion detail set contains an enlarged resin rudder for the E-4. However, it wasn't going to be a simple drop-fit.....and the 1/2 teardrop-shaped trim tab at the trailing edge of the rudder is missing....

HHm1TY.jpg

But a bit of plastic card, Milliput, Mr Surfacer and some very thinly sanded resin left-overs gets the job done! Little more sanding to do on the trailing edge...

fCIqNl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic. I started a similar combination some years ago to make Ihlefeld bird but stayed stuck as I did not find a good solution to glue the radar antenna clear fairing. The full scale one had a flange to secure it under the fuselage. The Vac part has none. They should have included a lower fuselage resin section with that flange or another vacform part to be cut to add over the edge of the clear part. I finally found another option. I'm considering using UV glue and adding that flange with plastic or adhesive aluminium tape strips. I have yet to find an easier/time-saving option.

20 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Iain....

Super clean start. 

:clap2:

:goodjob:  keep it up.

@MARU5137 Thanks!

16 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Interesting topic. I started a similar combination some years ago to make Ihlefeld bird but stayed stuck as I did not find a good solution to glue the radar antenna clear fairing. The full scale one had a flange to secure it under the fuselage. The Vac part has none. They should have included a lower fuselage resin section with that flange or another vacform part to be cut to add over the edge of the clear part. I finally found another option. I'm considering using UV glue and adding that flange with plastic or adhesive aluminium tape strips. I have yet to find an easier/time-saving option.

I've been pondering the same issue as well....
I do like that solution of yours with the clear UV and the aluminum strips. I've also thought of perhaps once the clear cover is cut out, is to (and very carefully) cut a groove on the fuselage underside and then glue the cover in place, with the aluminum flange. Not sure as yet, luckily I've got some way to go before I get to worrying about that! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Some more work done on the E-4. It's been too wet to do any large volume painting on the Hurri I've got going as well, so I've had some good time for the 109.
Below is the kit panel with the detail mostly sanded off and Eduard color PE faces added, plus a bit of detail painting, etc

bGU6g7.jpg

A lot of detail on the gun deck has been cut and sanded off already, there was more that came off. The Dragon kit is really good in terms of detail, etc, but IMO it wasn't designed to be built with the cowls and covers on. Even with thinning down all the covers, there were still bits of the guns, ammo feeds, etc that needed to be removed/sanded to get the covers on.

1Kxv0v.jpg

HGW belts. Easier to do the more you do them:thumbsup:.
Nicely moulded kit detail.

Hxy9dp.jpg

You can see where I've cut the front portions of the barrels off to make way for the Master brass barrels, to be fitted at the end of the build. The canvas cover detail just forward of the IP has had to be sanded right off, and the top of the ammo bins have been lowered slightly in order that the gundeck/IP had enough clearance below the gundeck cover.

A8AoYy.jpg

Port view of the cockpit

WSZaAX.jpg

All buttoned up, and as is the case, not much to see once done. Looks busy enough. The gap on top of the IP will be concealed by the front canopy. Dragon had moulded the windscreen portion along a panel line, so that is a sensible win!

uXMvpk.jpg

Very little remains of all the lovely engine detail below those cowls. Engine support bearers, headers, pipes, etc etc are gone, in order to close the engine cowls up. Plently of sanding, testing, sanding, etc. I'm happy with the result in the end. The area between the engine cowls and the gundeck cover had a gap, but I used some white round styrene rod to fill it and simulate the rubber seal. I know the G's had those seals, not too sure if the E's had them, but that's what it is now....

YJMTt7.jpg

Last image is with the canopies just sitting in place. I need to sand off the slightest bit off the bottom of the windscreen portion (and subsequently the rest as well) in order to get a flush join between the windscreen and gundeck cover - looks like less than 1/2mm...

VmdYIx.jpg

Wings next.....

So I did make a start on the wings last night, but then decided I wanted to get the AML PeilG IV set sorted out first. 
So cut out the transparent vacform dome, then using a piece of elastic sanding film wrapped around the fuselage, sanded the dome (filled with Blu-Tack to hold the shape) down so it fitted the contours of the underside perfectly! I then formed the PE bits over the outside of the dome, so when it's time to fit it, it'll press-form nicely to the inside
of the cover. The electronic bit has had a pin fitted to it, corresponding hole drilled on the underside.

rxPi72.jpg

Although the dome fitted well on the underside, I was earlier in this thread, made aware that there was a flange on the real deal used to affix the dome.
So I marked out the edge of the dome on the underside with pencil, then used a Tamiya awl/needle type thing to carve/scribe out the outline. That was then filled in with a piece of styrene strip to simulate the flange

2Rx2TY.jpg

After a bit of clean-up and reducing the height of the strip a tad.....the dome is a nice press fit into the flange. Slightly off-centre, but not enough to cry about it!;)

Pk5T7t.jpg

7aDYyl.jpg

Might reduce the height of the styrene flange a little more, but quite happy with the result!

tIW8vf.jpg

Stunning build again Iain. :clap2::clap2:

BTW how are you going to attach the PE piece? On my Ju 88 I made a mask and painted the antenna on the inside as the real strips were quite thin.

Cheers

Nick

2 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Stunning build again Iain. :clap2::clap2:

BTW how are you going to attach the PE piece? On my Ju 88 I made a mask and painted the antenna on the inside as the real strips were quite thin.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick! So I've formed it over the outside of the cover, therefore it is slightly bigger than the final size it'll have to be on the inside. My hope is that once I press-fit it the to inside of the cover, it'll form to the interior shape......hopefully! The PE part is really thin, so I'm hoping to get away with that, but that thinness also comes with downfalls..easy to mangle...
Otherwise I might (not really sure if I want to though) is use white glue in some strategic places to hold it there. Not sure about that though....

Iain