Westland Lysander Mk.IIISD, Revell 1/32, Finished!

Phantom2

I´ll play with this one;

IMG_5323

A three-color kit, crappy decals and very old instructions.

This kit is from the Jurassic era of model building, 1978!

IMG_5324

But I won´t build that old, now a collector’s item, but this, much “newer” re-issue from 1998.

IMG_5322

No fancy colours, just Revell´s standard light grey and clear plastic.

IMG_5318

…very nice clear parts…

IMG_5320

…and VERY much better decals and instructions.

IMG_5321

This will be a really fun build!

Let the  darkness falll.... 

Stefan   :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

oh joy!

I'm glad to see a Lysander under construction!

I just finished damning my soul with it, maybe this can give you some ideas:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/91451-westland-lysander-mk-iii-sd-matchbox-revell-132/

in any case if I can be useful, I have accumulated a lot of documentation on this subject.

good work, Paolo

Yes, I remember your magnificent build quite well!  :bow:

I won´t do much extra on this one, It will be more or less an out-of-the-box build as I´m not that skilled in scratchbuilding.

But Your build is a great inspiration and I´ll snatch an idea or two from You, that´s for sure. :D

I do have some questions for you tough;

What color are the inside of the fuselage, interior green or red dope, or something else?

Did the Lizzie use the same engine as the Gloster Gladiator?

Sutton harness for the pilot and lap-belts for the backseater?

I´m sure there will be more questions for you as I go forward in the build.

Stefan :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

Stefan, I'm glad to be of help, somehow!:)

as far as I know, all the interior "living" areas were interior green. Some pictures of aircraft under restoration show a red dope paint on the canvas parts, but these then were painted over interior green also.

other areas (cowling, landing gear) seems to be silver painted.

Engine: yes but actually no... the Lysander adopted a Bristol Mercury XX, the Gladiator a Bristol Mercury IX. These are obviously similar, but not identical. Anyway, having a Gladiator's engine, should be fair easy to adjust it to Lysander.

Affirmative on the seat belts, although it is my deduction: in the photos you do not see any shoulder harness in the rear compartment, nor any strong points where to attach these.

as said, I've quite some pics about it, if you need to see any detail, just ask, we'll dig it out!

cheers, Paolo

Thanks very much, Paolo!

I will go for an all IG interior, aluminium/painted silver (inner) cowling, sutton harness in front and lap belts in the back.

The engine in the ICM Gladdy are on several big sprues so you´ll need almost a whole kit, a bit expensive just for the engine.

I can´t find a AM engine (Vector makes one, but only in 1/48th) and I can´t rob my Gladiator kit either, so I will do with what I got in the kit, maybe I can spiff it up a bit.

Dennis, all these old Matchbox kits are great builds, even tough the detail are very sparse and some kits have fit problems, but they are mostly quite accurate, old as they are.

Many of these are still the only kit in the scale (Spitfire Mk.22/24, Lysander, Sea Venom, SA 330 Puma etc...) and they are still well worth building.

Most of these kits are re-released by Revell, several times, altough many have been superseeded by better kits, ICM have done a great job here!

Let´s say that today these kits are more of "Nostalgia-builds", and they come from a simpler era.

For me the Lizzie is a must in my collection as I loved the old British TV-series "Secret Army",  the Lysander starred in several episodes.

So far the build have been quite fast and easy, no fit issues so far, but all parts have mould-seams that must be dealt with.

I have started painting things now, an update is underway....

Cheers!

Stefan :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

1 hour ago, Phantom2 said:

I can´t find a AM engine (Vector makes one, but only in 1/48th) and I can´t rob my Gladiator kit either, so I will do with what I got in the kit, maybe I can spiff it up a bit.

I know, it's not cheap but Pastor John makes a beautiful resin engine for the Gladiator:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIMS32P18

The cockpit cage is built;

IMG_9529

The fit was quite good after all parts had been cleaned up, there are quite heavy mold-seams on this kit!

IMG_9530

IMG_9531

Please, excuse my bad photos, but now we have this build going!

Stefan

Edited by Phantom2

The Landing lights, integrated in the spats, was up next.

I made the reflector from a piece of house-hold aluminium foil, shiny side up.

I glued the foil to the reflector with CA-glue and polished it with a Q-tip.

IMG_9533

When dry, I trimmed off the excessive foil and glued the reflector to the inside of the wheel well.

Fit was almost non-existent so it took some tries (and a LOT of CA-glue!) before it stayed where it should.

IMG_9573

Looks good though...

IMG_9574

…and then I painted the inside of the pants with British Interior Green (Hu.78)….

IMG_9576

As I usually do, I built as many small subassemblies as I can before I have to paint.

The table was soon filled with small, and some not so small, builds;

IMG_9534

More to come soon!

Stefan   :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

• 2 weeks later...

First I painted the wheels with Alclad Black Microfiller and then with my usual “tyre-mix”, Hu.123 Extra Dark Grey and Hu.33 Matt Black.

IMG_9591

The “pants” glued together, not the best fit, but quite OK after all.

IMG_9592

Then It got worse, much, much worse when I came to the landing light glasses…..

IMG_9593

I glued the landing gear "legs" to the spats, just to relax from the pats, and gled them to the spats, not a stellar fit here either!

This kit is clearly showing It´s age now!

I really hope someone (ICM, do you hear me...) could give us a modern kit of this classic aircraft!

IMG_9594

The glasses should be completely recessed and the glass should follow the shape of the spats!

This will take some hard work!

First step was to apply lots of super glue to be sure they wouldn´t come loose…

IMG_9595

When dry I attacked the glasses and the legs, with a sanding stick until I had a shape that followed the spats as good as I could.

IMG_9596

IMG_9597

Not perfect, but much better then I started with….

After lots of polishing and buffing the lights was as clear as I could get then, the CA-glue had fogged them slightly, but It could have been worse.

When I was satisfied with the clarity of the glasses I started masking them with some help from a Maketar Masking Set, wonderful stuff!

IMG_9598

IMG_9599

…and I filled the rest with my usual tape cut in small pieces.

IMG_9600

Now the spats are as good as done!

IMG_9601

More to come soon….

Stefan

Edited by Phantom2