P-47D 25 MX-S 42-27339

Hi 

Yes again a P-47 question.

Hope that I am not boring you with my p-47 questions, but be sure that each question actually strengthens the foundation of my projects in the near future.

This D-25 42-27339 coded MX-S from Duxford has a bizarre figure on the fuselage. Is this a paint damage or a kind of nose art?(red )

And it has a kill markings also under the canopy (yellow)

Thanks in advance.

republic-p-47-hank-clark-Kopya.jpg

Hi, Tolga

I'm just spitballing here, but to me it looks like wording of some kind, possibly the names of the pilot/crew chief/armorer? There were a number of Jugs that used that inspection panel for that purpose, here's an example:

TIea1IZ.jpg

The only way to be sure what's on 42-27339 is to find a copy of that photo in higher resolution so we can blow up the area in question, I'm afraid.

- Thomaz

9 minutes ago, TAG said:

Hi, Tolga

I'm just spitballing here, but to me it looks like wording of some kind, possibly the names of the pilot/crew chief/armorer? There were a number of Jugs that used that inspection panel for that purpose, here's an example:

TIea1IZ.jpg

The only way to be sure what's on 42-27339 is to find a copy of that photo in higher resolution so we can blow up the area in question, I'm afraid.

- Thomaz

I am totally agree with you.

I've just been starting to think it might be a white wording too. The location of the panel in question is almost the same.

Thanks a lot Thomas, much appreciated indeed.

Cheers