Top Gun Maverick

Scotsman

Unless the movie trailers completely misrepresent the movie, then I'd say it looks absolute garbage. But that wouldn't be a surprise since the original was too. But maybe that misses the point: if you want something creative and original, go see a Wes Anderson or Coen Brothers release. Top Gun will be chewing gum for the eyeballs, but people like chewing gum! Me? - it makes my jaw ache.

Edited by Sabrejet

I always thought movies were intended to be escapist fun.  Willing suspension of disbelief and all that.  We pay our $$$ and go  along for the ride, whether it is to fight Godzilla or save the world from a rogue asteroid or watch our own fantasies (and you know who you are) or do crazy crap in a Navy jet.  Methinks the world is too much with us these days if we are insulted by inaccuracies from Hollywood - it’s what they do for a living.  Anyway, I’ll definitely see the movie because it is about flying and definitely more fun than watching something about the Air Force.

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm also wondering if someone else considered the SuperHornet attack to be very similar to the Star Wars episode 4 final attack...?

Absolutely. Stolen from Star Wars 100%

In your face Disney!

By the way Hollywood produced some realistic movies that actually worth watching. Even Jaws was better than this.

But if I had to choose, my pick would be this for an aviation movie: Sky Fighters or Knights of the Sky depending on the translation

The movie has relatively stupid script of course, as expected - but the scenes /most of them/ were realistic /only few were speeded up/ and most importantly made with real jets. A pleasure to watch! Especially the ending.

Cruise tortured the cast members to show G forces, but the actual scenes from the outside were absurd. 
Wait till you see it. The macho competition dive with Rooster and Tomcat takeoff or dogfights. Many more too.

Besides, it wasn't me who was seeking for realism. Tom Cruise put that in my face with 4 years of blabbering. Hard to miss the inferiority complex. He made a bunch of actors take a ride in a fighter jet to prove himself worthy.

Compare with the real NAVY guys, tough guy!

Edited by Eagle Driver

Been to see it , it's freakin' great; -  cheesy , nostalgic, overblown . If you don't come out without a big grin you're dead inside IMHO . 

@Maru5137 - it's good as a standalone movie even if you've avoided TG1 for 40 years :)

It's Hollywood peeps , entertainment , enjoy it for what it is ,or move on with your life. They even managed to get some shots of all the young bucks frolicking in the surf a la original . You get the original was very homo erotic yeah ? 

Edited by Panzerwomble

There is more!

Search in YouTube "Top Gun Instructors" and there is a video from Fighter Pilot Podcast where couple TG instructors discuss the movie, stating that flying is 90% realistic.

Not only that, one of them says he pulled 11Gs in a Tomcat.

This is like a kindergarten festival.

By REALISTIC flying they include - M > 10 crash survived, 15 feet apart /canopy to canopy/ Super Hornets one of them inverted, F14 Taking off of a taxiway that is destroyed and so on and so forth. Most surprisingly - the Rooster-Maverick spiral is quoted as REAL and they claim they did it to the hard deck.

Not only that wasn't real nor realistic, even the CGI of the plane dynamics was messed up beyond recognition in the movie. 

Oh yeah. I forgot Mav's favorite push the throttle pull the stick move from the 1st movie.

That, according to those "Top Gun Instructors" probably is realistic too.

By the way Vincent - the owner of Fighter Pilot Podcast had troubles recognizing F-14 being a CGI about which he got a lot of grief back in the day when the first trailer came out. Top Gun Instructor or not, if you cannot tell CGI plane from a real one, then why would you bother commenting on the rest?? 

It might be Hollywood, and it is a movie after all. With that I agree.

What is absurdly annoying is the fact that people considered serious and experts in that specific area are caught spewing enormous bull$hi7 all over.

That is called PROPAGANDA. No wonder they needed it to boost recruitment. 

Edited by Eagle Driver

11 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'd have to agree, with these types of movies you have to take these for what they are; some enjoying entertainment for a few hours.

Right. I recall a WWI movie a couple of years back that depicted those old bi-wing aircraft maneuvering like A-4 Skyhawks, totally bogus, but a good opportunity to kick back and be brainless for a while.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:50 PM, LSP_K2 said:

And no Kelly McGillis, thank goodness. Though I suppose she could have played some fighter pilots' grandmother.

Cruise is 59 and is a product of (good) plastic surgery and keeps his appearance up to continue his film career. Kelly McGillis is 64 and doesn't do many movies anymore - I believe she lives privately and teaches acting. I'm no feminist but even I had to shake my head at your comment. To each their own.

John

On 5/29/2022 at 4:46 PM, Eagle Driver said:

But if I had to choose, my pick would be this for an aviation movie: Sky Fighters or Knights of the Sky depending on the translation

hahahah really ? that load of crap ? a reference ?

Ok I give you that : the images are trully awesome. The rest ? it's all crap (to say the least): poor scenario (typical of french cinema), very poor acting...

Let's talk about realism : the guy seating in the rear cockpit of a M2000D without canopy nor ejection seat ?

You may not like TOPGUN 2 it is your right, but man, please... Skyfighters as a reference... that's not credible.

In the end, you rant a lot about it; but that's just a hollywood movie made for entertainment (and earning a lot of $$$).

If you want realism, go watch a documentary.

Edited by discus