Top Gun Maverick

Scotsman

Does anyone know the squadron markings on the Super Hornets used on the actual mission?  I know some of the carrier scenes were filmed on the USS Abraham Lincoln, but don’t know if the aircraft used any of the resident squadron markings for the in flight scenes.  TIA.

ETA, I was able to do a freeze frame from the trailer showing one of the mission aircraft pulling up sharply, and don’t see any markings at all.  Assuming it’s real, they may have digitally erased the squadron markings.

Edited by Dave Williams

On 6/13/2022 at 6:20 AM, Jack said:

must have been costly to have real Hornets participate in it, but then again great PR for the navy :punk:

yup. Saw figures of $11,000/hr for the Hornets.

Movie had made 883 million at Box office alone in 2weeks.  They reckon it might make a billion USD.  More if you factor in merch and release to streaming services.  Spend money to make money but I think you're right. It'll inspire a lot of young people towards aviation, even if a lot of it was fantasy.

Finally saw it, loved it, great movie. This is the best you could ever expect out of Hollywood. 

I just don't understand complaining about a movie not being realistic, even the most realistic productions are filled with flaws these types always cry about! From patches and not going up the cliff in Saving Private Ryan, even Band of Brothers got things wrong. Be happy this movie was not another pile of crap like Fury. 

Anyway, as a big fan of the first movie, I have to say, the day you can buy it on any streaming service, I will buy it.  Hell, it even had Tom Cruise's Personal P-51 Mustang in it!  5/5 Stars, no reasonable person can expect anything better from Hollywood. 

8 minutes ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

It really is a must see on the big screen. First movie I've seen at a theater since Django.  It was nice, the place had big seats with motorized foot rests, no one talked, it was great. My only complaint was the 30 minutes of previews for movies I will not be seeing.  

+1

First movie I've seen in a theater since Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade! :unsure:

-though I admit it was only a couple of years ago with the local theater was playing old classics again on the big screen! :P

17 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

It really is a must see on the big screen. First movie I've seen at a theater since Django.  It was nice, the place had big seats with motorized foot rests, no one talked, it was great. My only complaint was the 30 minutes of previews for movies I will not be seeing.  

I thought Django really sucked. It was the first Tarantino movie that I ever felt that way about though.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:55 AM, Hawkwrench said:

The only beef I have is the 2 scenes of the Navy MH-60S with the dubbed sound of a Huey.

come to think of it, it was indeed a weird "sound" impression, don't know why they assumed it was a proper Sea/Black hawk sound.......

Impossible not to enjoy a movie with so much aviation stuff. That being said, I would not compare it to the original one, which had an original feeling to it. It still had a light scenario, but it had everything to make it a cult movie: Great shots of aircraft, great music that goes all along with the movie, some good jokes, more charismatic superiors like Viper and Jester, not to mention a very attractive civil instructor we then all adored. 

The second movie has so many things borrowed from the first one, which is expected to a certain point, and in spite of some high moments a better scenario and acting would make a more remarkable sequel. 

On 6/24/2022 at 1:31 PM, LSP_K2 said:

I thought Django really sucked. It was the first Tarantino movie that I ever felt that way about though.

I thought it was ok, not his best for sure though. I really think the most recent, "Once upon a Time in Hollywood", is really his best.  I didn't really like the Hateful 8 either.   Jackie Brown is one of my favorite movies though.  Oddly the time before the last time I went to the Movies was Inglorious Bastards. I did not see Hate8 or Once upon a time in the theatre. It took Topgun, to get me back out! 

We went to the movie tonight, I was trying to skim a few of the comments in the last 11 pages, we really enjoyed the movie.  It was fun, realistic, ah well its a movie.  I was not looking for realism.  They made an effort at a story that had some connection to the original without taking off at random 30 some years later.  I was fine with what they did.  I watched the movie, The Northmen for free on Peacock network, I wanted to see it in the theater, it was so bad my wife and I said at the end we were glad we did not pay for that experience.  We love historical movies, this one my wife son and I all loved the movie and were happy we paid to see it.

Edited by cbk57