Top Gun Maverick

Scotsman

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, there is no two-seater F-35... So, it would have been quite difficult to have cockpit scenes with the actors playing pilots...:whistle:

Yes sir! Although they considered it. Maybe shooting in an Extra 300 and then CGI the hell out of the 35 over it. 

36 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

Not as much as the Dark Star, no.

By the way, I saw a lot of comments about the ejection. For whatever reason it looks everyone is questioning -on valid grounds- the possibility to use an ejection seat and survive at such speeds but nobody is considering the use of an ejection module whereas that looks like a far more survivable option when one considers such hypersonic speeds.

1 minute ago, thierry laurent said:

By the way, I saw a lot of comments about the ejection. For whatever reason it looks everyone is questioning -on valid grounds- the possibility to use an ejection seat and survive at such speeds but nobody is considering the use of an ejection module whereas that looks like a far more survivable option when one considers such hypersonic speeds.

Why would Cruise be all over in sooth after it then?

They dropped the ball, there is no doubt about that.

I just wonder how can people tolerate this and still twist the narrative, making that acceptable. Especially in a forum where there was 80+ pages of thread about the accuracy of a plastic model, which belongs to a hobby group.

Well I'll chime in now. Seven of us went to watch it tonight and all of us liked it.

It matches how it's advertised. Entertainment. 

It's a good entertaining movie,  it's a horrible example of reality and I'll take two hours of entertainment over two hours of reality any time these days....

It is what it is.  I liked it. 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:31 AM, Scotsman said:

No Spoilers, No Review no picking holes - just go and see it, you can thank me later!

Been home 2 hours and I'm still grinning

Funny I deliberately put off reading this thread until I saw the movie because you know….spoilers.  Just spent the afternoon at the movies watching said movie (see I won’t even disclose the movie name for fear of, you know…spoilers).

OP says “No Spoilers, No Review no picking holes”.  

Eagle Driver says “Roger that!  Let me tell you about the whole movie step by step and pick every plot hole.”

Hollywood bro…there’s a reason why they put a fiver in a jar if a genuine Topgun bro utters a “TOPGUN” quote.

I've edited a few posts and deleted one which refer to the ongoing and bitterly divisive Culture Wars.  Please, everyone just refrain. It can never lead to a good place.

Remember some wise ancient words-> Divide et impera

Now that's done...fun..

Back on topic I listened to this podcast and found it really interesting. I listened to another podcast  HERE on the Blue Angels pilot who flew many of the scenes and with Cruise. I almost feel a little bit sorry for Cruise not being allowed to stick an F18 around given how much he seems to absolutely love flying. Pilot made some interesting observations about the movie industry and actors. I think his background in safety, experience and character as a person ensured the film could be made which looked incredible but was made safely.

https://www.fighterpilotpodcast.com/episodes/144-filming-top-gun-maverick/

I just read a “theory” that Maverick was actually killed in the attempt to take Darkstar to Mach 9, and the rest of the movie is him dying, sort of a dream sequence. The theory proposes an explanation for some of the inconsistencies and references to the past, like Rooster showing up looking like his father. 

Top Gun: Maverick death theory

Personally I think it’s reading way too much into it…and maybe the reviewer should cut back on whatever they’re smoking.  It’s entertainment, a Hollywood movie, not a documentary on current air combat operations. I’ve seen it again, and it was still fun. As entertainment it succeeded for me.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka