Top Gun Maverick

Scotsman

I watched it with my wife last weekend. She told me on the way to the theater, not to pick it apart (like I do every time she put the original TOPGUN video on). I sat there quietly, while she enjoyed the movie. There were a few too many "Miracles" for me to just sit back and enjoy the show. Not that I ever expected the movie to be 100% accurate, but I was hoping for something a little more plausible.

1 hour ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

Here is the Jocko and Dave Berke take. Berke was a Topgun instructor.  (Contains spoilers)

I already had my fare share of Top Gun instructors saying the movie was 90% real.

It wasn't. I don't care if they are Top Gun inventors. 
A lie is a lie.
What's Jocko take on that? When he was ever in a plane flying? Was he? I don't know, that why I'm asking. I will watch that.

By the way Jocko as well as Mike Baker are Joe Rogan guests more often than not. Baker is such a bag of cr@p, talking like he knows sh1t. Last time I listened to him he was explaining how in Korea US had props, Soviets had MiG-15, but they had no ejection seats, because the professor, CIA "expert" flew in one and he wore a butt parachute. What a joke.

P.S. I watched it and it was really nicely done. I was surprised to learn that Jocko actually flew a mission in a Hornet. 
I guess if you shut your knowledge down and you watch it for the sake of having fun time, it will cut it.
Jocko rulz though.

Edited by Eagle Driver

36 minutes ago, Ayovan said:

I watched it with my wife last weekend. She told me on the way to the theater, not to pick it apart (like I do every time she put the original TOPGUN video on). I sat there quietly, while she enjoyed the movie. There were a few too many "Miracles" for me to just sit back and enjoy the show. Not that I ever expected the movie to be 100% accurate, but I was hoping for something a little more plausible.

Thank you! Your take on Iceman/Val depiction, considering real life?
That pissed me off beyond belief.

5 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Your take on Iceman/Val depiction, considering real life?
That pissed me off beyond belief.

I don’t get what your issue is with the Val Kilmer/Ice Man part. Kilmer would obviously have seen the script beforehand, and if he’d had any issue himself with the script or role, he wouldn’t have taken it - and I imagine the writers/producers would not have included a part as a result.

Have you not considered that Kilmer actually wanted to be part of the movie and was absolutely happy with his portrayal? Or did Cruise hold him at gun point? Get a grip, man!

Actually, Tom Cruise said years ago he wouldn't do another Top Gun without Iceman. Val Kilmer really wanted to be part of the project but this finally asked for a disproportionate effort because he had lost his voice. The voice you are hearing for some dozens of seconds was rebuilt by an IA from old recordings. It looks the scenario was rebuilt to integrate his intervention in what was considered to be an acceptable approach for all parties. It seems obvious both guys kept a friendly relationship when you look at the movie.

Seen with my kids, first "men" movie...

"Ok dad, 'was fun<_<" with a little touch of compassion to not to say dismissive commisseration broke my leap to the past...

Few later, the second one, 7 years old, let his dish in a flat spin...and in english in the text said..."splatch one"....

The worm is in the fruit..:innocent:

7 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I don’t get what your issue is with the Val Kilmer/Ice Man part.

Maybe you don't know that Val's real life was threatened of premature end.

Making that choice Cruise probably put his money on the realistic movie that he made with Hornets doing Cobras.

The movie was offensive to many things: Columbia being torn to pieces, cancer exploitation, macho behaviour of the characters, fifth gen NAVY fighter* 

* I don't like F-35C nor any other 35. But I am not dumb enough to deliberately erase its existence, erasing the enormously hard work of tens of thousands of people involved in the 5th gen NAVY project. They did it. Maybe I have more respect to aviation than the average Joe.

Edited by LSP_Matt

We're going to have to come to some hard and fast conclusions here gents.

SOME love this movie and will go to see mitultiple times......

SOME hate this movie and will not be seeing it again.......

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but no ones opinion is  going to be changed  by someone else's opinion of the movie. We are all going to have to accept that sometimes others have opinions that are 180 deg from our own and move on.

1 minute ago, Out2gtcha said:

We're going to have to come to some hard and fast conclusions here gents.

SOME love this movie and will go to see mitultiple times......

SOME hate this movie and will not be seeing it again.......

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but no ones opinion is  going to be changed  by someone else's opinion of the movie. We are all going to have to accept that sometimes others have opinions that are 180 deg from our own.

I hated it and I am going to see it again. :)

I haven’t seen “Maverick” but I wonder if Iceman’s role was a nod to Jean Renoir’s Great War classic “The Grand Illusion.” Erich von Stroheim plays a German ace crippled by a crash and put in charge of a POW fortress (ala Colditz) where he befriends and tries to protect an ungovernable French officer determined to break the rules. At the ends of their respective lines, they understand each other. Renoir had been a combat pilot during the Great War and his understanding of the species shows. 

Cheers,

Adam

Ice's character - Tom Kazansky is tailored after Lawrence 'Music' Muczynski. Slavic name resemblance, probably with Polish roots. He was one of the key figures in 1981 Gulf of Sidra which generally inspired the first movie, altogether with an article in a magazine. By the way it was a magazine again inspired the first Fast and Furious. FnF being on par with TG Maverick in terms of realism...

Aslo, obviously directors love to read magazines!

In TG M, The Grand Illusion idea seem probable too, especially knowing that Cruise watches plenty of movies to educate himself about the history of cinema and - of course - to get various tips from other movie makers. If that's the case it would be a cocktail of characters, which kinda ruins the initial idea.

The intro with the Dark Star and the Right Stuff makes me thing you are more right than wrong on this.

By the way TG sequel was considered  in late 80s early 90s based on the success of the first one and as the rumor has it - on the second Sidra incident in 1989. They missed the opportunity, but that was fixed with the televised Desert Storm action being a great motivation for younger generations of pilots.

Unfortunately, we missed to see black MiG-32s too.

By the way just this morning I saw a central canopy frame of the Felon's canopy in TG M. 

It was SUPERB experience! :D

Edited by Eagle Driver

3 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

* I don't like F-35C nor any other 35. But I am not dumb enough to deliberately erase its existence, erasing the enormously hard work of tens of thousands of people involved in the 5th gen NAVY project. They did it. Maybe I have more respect to aviation than the average Joe.

Well, there is no two-seater F-35... So, it would have been quite difficult to have cockpit scenes with the actors playing pilots...:whistle: