Top Gun Maverick

Scotsman

I went with the better half to see it last Thursday. Since we have been together she has been subjected to aviation crap in one form or another, in fact we discussed the original Top Gun as one of our first nervous "look we've got something in common" chats. 

Fully taking on board the fact that TG has more than its share of Hollywood licence (Final Countdown anyone) the relase of Maverick with all its enhanced graphics was much anticipated. 

Fast Forward to last Thursday without issuing a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it, in one scene my good lady curled up in her cinema seat into what could only be described as a foetal position and at the top of her voice screamed "EJECT!" I must admit I half expected all of the seats around me to disappear through the roof! 

Possibly an indicator as to how immersive it can be, and that was in "normal" mode. Next up Imax! 

Edited by Phartycr0c

5 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

I went with the better half to see it last Thursday. Since we have been together she has been subjected to aviation crap in one form or another, in fact we discussed the original Top Gun as one of our first nervous "look we've got something in common" chats. 

Fully taking on board the fact that TG has more than its share of Hollywood licence (Final Countdown anyone) the relase of Maverick with all its enhanced graphics was much anticipated. 

Fast Forward to last Thursday without issuing a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it, in one scene my good lady curled up in her cinema seat into what could only be described as a foetal position and at the top of her voice screamed "EJECT!" I must admit I half expected all of the seats around me to disappear through the roof! 

Possibly an indicator as to how immersive it can be, and that was in "normal" mode. Next up Imax! 

What's your take on Ice's story?

On 5/29/2022 at 3:30 AM, thierry laurent said:

I'm also wondering if someone else considered the SuperHornet attack to be very similar to the Star Wars episode 4 final attack...?

That is the first thing I thought of!

"Why that underground bunker vent couldn't be any bigger than a wamp rat"

Only thing missing was Porkins. :)

1 hour ago, Eagle Driver said:

What's your take on Ice's story?

More than a little convoluted in that i'm not sure why the storyline had to be written as it was. I suppose in the greater scheme of things it was just there to allow Maverick to continue doing what he does. 

(written so as not put out spoilers) 

13 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

More than a little convoluted in that i'm not sure why the storyline had to be written as it was. I suppose in the greater scheme of things it was just there to allow Maverick to continue doing what he does. 

(written so as not put out spoilers) 

IMHO, they exploited real-life condition of Val to make more money and to create nuance in the general movie feeling.
I find that to be extremely greedy move, lacking any honor, kindness and human approach.

Besides, we all know Ice is the best pilot.

Yeah. I thought there were various obvious nods to the original movie but they weren't overplayed too much. The plot line with ICE made sense to me and to why Mav had reached his terminal rank but wasn't grounded.

On a human level I thought including him in the latest movie paid homage to his original appearance. After all, it was the original movie which made him a superstar, pop culture icon.  I also thought his current health issues were woven into the plot line of what will probably be the last Top Gun movie and that the compassionate interaction with Kilmer and Cruise didn't need to be acted. It felt genuinely organic and authentic.

From what I can gather Kilmer himself was also thrilled to be once again part of this iconic story.

I reckon if I can get over F5's being MiG28's then the plot, mission, etc in the new movie didn't need to 100%.

Matty

3 hours ago, LSP_Matt said:

On a human level I thought including him in the latest movie paid homage to his original appearance. After all, it was the original movie which made him a superstar, pop culture icon.  I also thought his current health issues were woven into the plot line of what will probably be the last Top Gun movie and that the compassionate interaction with Kilmer and Cruise didn't need to be acted. It felt genuinely organic and authentic.

Matty

From what I hear, TC really wanted Val in the movie, one way or another.