Top Gun Maverick

Scotsman

I just saw it. Absolutely loved the cracking start.

Had a blast from start to finish.

I do wonder about the future of air combat. I suspect the future is less lead and wingman and more about a platform working in tandem with autonomous wingmen.

I thought the Su57 scenes were awesome.

Cheers Matty

1 hour ago, adameliclem said:

I’m gonna wait for the special edition with an extra hour of Cruise clenching his jaw.

Release the jaw cut! 

Adam

Don't forget the "Grin" also ... :D

What about "Slider""..? :coolio:

-Gregg

With the buzz around the movie it's actually following a few conversations which had me thinking about how many lines from the original movie fuse so seamlessly into everyday conversations. Phrases convey entire concepts and simply quoting the movie to another Top Gun fan communicates so much nuance.

TG2 didn't seem to have so many similar lines and I had to explain the Penny Benjamin backstory. Not everyone has watched the original over 20x

Matty

Just got back from the cinema after watching Top Gun and what a great movie it is, even my wife loved it and she normally hates "man movies".

Left my anorack at home and just enjoyed it, some of the music sent the hairs on my arms on edge and a lump in my throat.

Throwbacks to the original movie certainly litter throughout and are a nice touch.

Cheers

Dennis

7 hours ago, discus said:

Ok I give you that : the images are trully awesome. The rest ?

Truly awesome images are enough for me. Guess what, no matter how hard you try to simulate to the audience the feeling of 4-5Gs, YOU CAN'T. This is un-replicable.

About the rest in the French flop? The rest is pretty much like the Dark Star story and the insanely "competent" screen writing and acting - a bunch of idiots waiting on Cruise to arrive at the hangar to be notified that they are to be cancelled. Aligned next to the plane.

Again, I never wanted a documentary, Cruise pumped up idea by repeating how realistic it was. It wasn't me. He tricked me to expect more. Overpromised, underdelivered. 

This is insulting to most of the people involved in aviation.

That is a TEAM EFFORT. Misfits like Maverick do not belong.

As I've said before - the most insulting to one's intellect was the kid who didn't understood why the wings are moving in the same plane that killed his father. The kid is not just a random kid, it is a TG graduate. Please put yourself in Rooster's position for a moment before you judge my post. Give it a minute.

Who sacrifices the look of a TG graduate to make a joke in the movie? That is not a comedy. TOP GUN 1986 was depicted as a Drama.

This flop might be fun for many, but on professional level it is awful. Insulting.

Many others have said that for 1986 TG, but not me. However this one was too much even for me.

Have you seen it? Do you have an opinion about Val Kilmer? That was the worse thing that they did of all else. What Val has, besides enormously larger talent than anybody in this film - is a serios life/death situation in real life. Playing on that tune the way they did it deserved me spitting on the poster and get the hell out of the theater. You - as many others - have seen what cancer can do to people right?? Well they over-exploited that. My wife also watched it and was disappointed by Val's story as much as I am.

It can be treated as art of course or can be watched from the point of ridiculing it. However the first movie got me into flying and I was highly disappointed not only by what I saw, but what will get into flying the next generation of pilots all over the World.

It offends my intellect, it trashed my expectations and I am sorry I waited so patiently for it.

I should've know better - in the MI with the helo stunt, the blabber all over was that it was realistic. It wasn't. It was with increased speed to create dramatic effect. That is not realistic, that is 60s cinematic approach.

I can bet on one thing - if Cruise wasn't in TG 2, it would've probably been better.

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61630131

He made$100 Million in the first opening weekend .without him in the movie, I wonder how much it would have made..

And no I still haven't seen The First movie. 

MY BAD!!

10-ish Marvel movies have higher grossing opening weekends than this.

Does that make them worthy for watching?

Fix that with TG 1986. Fix it and you won't be sorry. 

Tony Scott is written all over the movie. It has a soul. Something hardly traceable in the modern cinema.

54 minutes ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

Well, even with bitter eagle drivers complaining bitterly, I plan to go see it. 

Those rants don't come off as sour grapes at all. No, really! :lol:

I will go again too. But not to see stocky Gaga and her forgettable song. 
By the way I liked your location :)