Flew on a 737 MAX yesterday

John1

I've been flying back and forth between Providence, RI and Baltimore Washington for a month or so now.   It's always on Southwest because they have multiple non-stops to choose from.   To date, it's always been on -700 jets, which honestly, are getting somewhat beat on the inside.   A few days ago, to my surprise, I see a shiny, new 737MAX-8 at the gate.  Although the flight was only an hour, it was enough time to really impress me with the jet.    

The cabin is completely done over.   New LED "mood" lighting, larger, redesigned overhead bins and passenger utility housings make the cabin look much more open and brighter.  They also added larger windows that appear to be located higher than the old shoulder-level windows on the legacy jets.   

The decrease in sound levels from those new engines is very noticeable during all phases of flight.  The last observation I'm not 100% sure on.   It seems to me that the aircraft maneuvers more "fluidly".   It's really hard to explain but just feels different from the older jets.

Bottom line - I will be going out of my way to book flights on the MAX if I get a chance in the future.   It's really a game changer from a passenger standpoint.   As far as the flight crew's opinion - on the way out, I asked one of them how he liked the MAX, he said he loved flying it. 

I would think honestly after all the issues its had and the severity of those crashes, that they would they would never put them BIS if there was even a single chance in hell if anything like what caused the initial issues would re-occur again. I would say it would be nearly catastrophically detrimental to their reputation and may kill the company if a repeat happened.   

7 hours ago, Lee White said:

Yeah, well, there are 346 people out there who loved flying on the Max, until they didn't.  It's getting to the point where "If it's a Boeing, I ain't going" might become a thing.

And there are 270 people who probably loved flying on the A330, until they didn’t.   No manufacturer is infallible, the only difference was BA’s ruthless and unethical obsession to rush this plane into service and maintain the all important “shareholder value”.    

This issue is a case study on failed leadership.  

2 hours ago, John1 said:

And there are 270 people who probably loved flying on the A330, until they didn’t.   No manufacturer is infallible, the only difference was BA’s ruthless and unethical obsession to rush this plane into service and maintain the all important “shareholder value”.    

The whole leadership food chain should be banded from the aviation industry.

I've flew on them several times, twice the day before they were grounded. That was an odd day coming home after they did, flying on 767's almost completely empty except for stranded 737Max flight crews trying to get home.

The airlines are not without fault either, they pressure the manufacturers that they need the new type "yesterday" and they'll cancel their orders and take their business to "Brand X" if their demands are not met.

And who's decision at the FAA was it to give Boeing the power to certify their own aircraft?

Heads should roll their also ...

-Gregg

2 hours ago, John1 said:

No manufacturer is infallible, the only difference was BA’s ruthless and unethical obsession to rush this plane into service and maintain the all important “shareholder value”.    

Tell me about it, I was there over the years it took place.  However ...  those crashes were by foreign airlines whose pilot trainging was

insufficient. It's a long and complicated story best explained by this guy over several videos ... this is a list of all the videos he's done

on the Max crashes.  I recommend 7, 8 and 9 but many of them are interesting. If you're really interested in what happened , these are

a must.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6SYmp3qb3uPp1DS7fDy7I6y11MIMgnbO