Any serious car modelers here?

LSP_Mike

8 hours ago, Lee White said:

Car model dilettante here, but I looked up the kit in question- the price for that thing is VERY serious. Wow.

8 hours ago, Lee White said:

Car model dilettante here, but I looked up the kit in question- the price for that thing is VERY serious. Wow.

yea, I had to look that one up.  Either eBay seller is hoping to score a home run or it’s really a serious collectors item. 

It's the only boxing of the kit from Entex, and I think it's the only 1/8 scale Carrera RSR.  Now, if it's worth that kind of money, I don't know. But I can definitely see the rarity factor.

Matt 

12 hours ago, nmayhew said:

you have to raise your hand (or should that be furrow your brow?) to signal just how serious you are before you are allowed to know the question lol

Actually I do have several car kits (unbuilt) kinda looking forward to doing one ... or 2.

I guess I'm not that serious about them.   :shrug:

I am with Mike, I have 4 car models including a big scale car. But not very serious actually I could be considered a silly and nostalgic car kit owner.  I bought a large scale VW camper van to make a hippy love party bug.    I lost interest when my wife said no legs and feet sticking out through the windows.  Nor anything else…

11 hours ago, Pascal said:

Well, it's a BIG kit. Fit and details aren't great.

Nice base for super detailling.

IMHO, the 1/12 Tamiya Porsches are better and a LOT cheaper.

Sincerely

Pascal

This is more or less my opinion as well.  Huge kit, but not very good, and very expensive.

Tamiya 1/12 is the way to go with this sort of subject matter.

Unfortunately, I would go into any old car kit with great trepidation unless you have serious 3d printing or other related skills as parts like the rubber tires may be useless.  Decals for gauges on such are likely useless.  I am a Porsche enthusiast and fairly into car modleing although I rarely finish one, but old car kits are likely to be very frustrating unless you have serous scratch and related skills.  Also you expect no aftermarket for the kit except for anything that would relate from existing 1/8 kits coming out in the world of parts work kits.  There is a 1/8 911 Carera from the early 1970s on the market DeAgostini has marketed it so you might be able to get new decals that would be pertinent to what you want.

Scalemates has a little information on the kit, some variations may have been motorized only, if you just search 1/8 911 rsr on ebay you get some more options and I found one with some photos of the kit parts.  Not withstanding huge prices it looks like some boxings had engine detail and front compartment detail while otherwise might have just been a big motorized toy.  Prices for all the ones I found were collector world numbers.  

Edited by cbk57