Ain’t where I used to be….

Oldbaldguy

Just FYI and for no particular reason, I thought I’d share the results of my recent move from one part of the southern United States to another, not that such a thing is particularly newsworthy.  We’d lived in the northwest corner of Georgia in a small town bent on isolation for almost 20 years before realizing we’d probably be better off somewhere else.  Down here, neighbors often will wave and say, “Holler if you need anything!” instead of saying goodbye, see you later or some such as that.  When we were laid low by the great unpleasantness known as Covid last Fall, we hollered in our time of need, but our neighbors had more important things to do - like washing their car, mowing their grass or checking their emails. And so it came to pass that we decided to move closer to family and grand kids.  This would not normally be a topic of interest to anyone on this site except moving house and home also involved hauling my built LSPs from there to here.  It is a sad fact that no one loves your stuff like you do, especially professional movers who tend to pack with an eye toward gross tonnage per box than concern for the survivability of the things being packed.  Enter my pickup truck, several years worth of styrofoam odds and ends and a box of toothpicks.  I first lined the bed with foam sheets cut to fit so they couldn’t move, then skewered bits and bobs of styrofoam blocks strategically here and there with toothpicks to hold them in place on the sheets while they supported my models which were held in place with more toothpicks.  It all looked like a bit like a porcupine trying to mate with a carrier flight deck, but it worked.  The three hundred fifty mile road trip resulted in almost no damage at all:  the canopy popped off one of my Hasegawa Scooters as did one of its canon and the Buckeye lost a main gear door.  That was it.  Not bad at all.  Amazing what you can do these days with a good truck, some ingenuity and stuff your wife has been telling you to get rid of for years.

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Good news!

After years of smallish commission jobs and shipping across the globe, I can say it can be tricky at best and a nightmare ar worst, with broken parts strewn everywhere. 

BTW, OBG Jr is headed your way in July.  Not much of a modeler but a big fan of Mosquitos.

4 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

OBG,

well I am pleased that things went smoothly and all was well with your models, bit and bobs!!

Have a super fantastic MERRY  time in your new place !!

:thumbsup:

Holler if you need anything!

might take a while to get to across the Big Pond But Holler anyway !!

:wicked:  :rolleyes:

I will, M.  I promise.  I have no doubt you are a lot more dependable than my previous neighbors.

Nice to hear you got there without too much broken. Three years ago, we moved ~800 miles, I packed all that stuff myself too and most of it got here in one piece. Now the challenge/fun to set up again. I've been working on that since we moved. Still making changes. :coolio:

Last year I moved 25 miles from our home of 25 years and all my builds.  Fortunately for me this was before retirement and at work we had hundreds of Sony projectors getting installed.  I had the guys saving all the boxes.  They were roughly 20”X20” X 12” tall. Think I used about 15 boxes.  One larger built model per box, small models were doubled up.  I spent almost $100 on packing peanuts from U Haul, but none damaged!  

Edited by ScottsGT

10 hours ago, denders said:

Nice to hear you got there without too much broken. Three years ago, we moved ~800 miles, I packed all that stuff myself too and most of it got here in one piece. Now the challenge/fun to set up again. I've been working on that since we moved. Still making changes. :coolio:

Wow!  Eight hundred miles!  I am a mere piker by comparison.  I’d tip my OBG hat if I could find it.

2 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

Sorry that I missed you OBG. Didn't know that we were neighbors. We probably rubbed shoulders at the Chattanooga or Atlanta shows.

Best of luck to you in your new home. 

Happy modeling, John 

I noticed your avatar ‘way back and wondered about that myself.  I’m thinking there might be a few more modelers here than in Rome, but who knows?  Right now I’d be happy to find all my stuff amid the many unopened boxes that inhabit my house.  We went from carefully noting on the outside the details of what each box contains to marking them with cryptic notes like, “Stuff”, “Various stuff”, and “Misc” to finally nothing at all.  Makes every day an Easter egg hunt.

I had a few boxes labeled “outdoor stuff” which was my code word for gun stuff.  Magazines, holsters, tools, etc.  keeps the movers from getting curious.  But my wife saw that label and put it on real outdoor stuff like small yard tools, outdoor games, etc. 

Made unpacking interesting.