Back when they were new

Not that I would ever build any at all (Yuck, phooie, no hook, etc), but was wondering this morning if there are reliable sources with decent photos of German, Italian and Japanese airplanes fresh off the assembly line during WW2.  I’m curious about the level of fit and finish when these airplanes were new as opposed to how they looked after a couple of months in combat.

I can't comment on the German aircraft production in general, but I remember watching a documentary about the FW-190,where they discussed the limitations on production caused by the people who made the control surfaces... folks who made furniture before the war. Apparently, the German need for perfection is not easily subdued, and quantity was secondary to quality. So at least the tail feathers were ace, even if the rest of the plane was crap.

Hey, OBG

Had a quick look thru my files, here's what I found, it's possible I have more but a little pressed for time this morning. Hope these help, in any case!

v7kAmnh.jpg

RBF9wx2.jpg

ga4dov5.jpg

WQJdIlU.jpg

Later, once things started getting more desperate and aircraft manufacturing had to be moved into caves or fortified buildings, things got a little claustrophobic...

47DbMAd.jpg

I'm sure there's plenty more if you keep searching, hope that helped.

- Thomaz