1/48 SB2C Helldiver--Attack on Yokosuka and IJN Battleship Nagato, 18 July 1945 (finished)

easixpedro

10 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

The little subs kinda look like Sharks, giant Sharks. :D

True! I was thinking the same thing as I was carving the diving planes. Considering they're about 7mm total length, it was all I could do to get some sort of fin on there. Some look better than others, but you'd need a big magnifying glass to tell B)

• easixpedro changed the title to 1/48 SB2C Helldiver--Attack on Yokosuka and IJN Battleship Nagato, 18 July 1945 (finished)

Ok, calling this one done.

Finished making all the debris in one of the dry docks as well as a transport submarine (that was sunk) and 4 different auxiliary patrol boats. Those were tough as they’re about 5mm.

20220716_173103

20220716_173128

20220716_173156

20220716_173409

20220717_081019

20220717_081259

20220717_081130

20220717_081206

Not a show stopper by any means, but wasn’t intended to be either. Just happy to have an interesting display that is one of those great intersections in life.

See everyone at Nationals!

-Peter

9 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

Dang, that's just to cool! Yokosuka getting a taste of the BEAST!

You know your the war is lost when TF-38 literally anchors outside one of your largest naval bases and launches strikes at will. Still boggles the mind.

I’d originally planned to do this with a 1/32 Beast. Convinced myself otherwise after looking at the trials and tribulations of others. It turned out so good, imagine if the scene supported an LSP Beast?!  That would be pretty slick. Maybe if I see one at Nationals for a reasonable price? Naaaaaah, gotta work one what’s in the stash, don’t need more. Or do I? Would be so cool! Would just need to raise the plane a bit and could reuse the base. maybe go with 1/144 scale Hellcats? That’s how I ended up with that 1/24th Airfix Hellcat - I did it in 1/48th first. To quote Ralph Wiggum, “I’m in Danger”

10 hours ago, easixpedro said:

You know your the war is lost when TF-38 literally anchors outside one of your largest naval bases and launches strikes at will. Still boggles the mind.

I’d originally planned to do this with a 1/32 Beast. Convinced myself otherwise after looking at the trials and tribulations of others. It turned out so good, imagine if the scene supported an LSP Beast?!  That would be pretty slick. Maybe if I see one at Nationals for a reasonable price? Naaaaaah, gotta work one what’s in the stash, don’t need more. Or do I? Would be so cool! Would just need to raise the plane a bit and could reuse the base. maybe go with 1/144 scale Hellcats? That’s how I ended up with that 1/24th Airfix Hellcat - I did it in 1/48th first. To quote Ralph Wiggum, “I’m in Danger”

I think if you were to try this again in 1/32, you’d have to redo the whole thing and would have to build it so that the base sits on the floor.  If you made it table-top, I think you’d lose the perspective and all people would see would be a 1/32 Helldiver hanging in space.  The forced perspective seems to work best if you are looking down on it from the airplane’s point of view.

46 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

I think if you were to try this again in 1/32, you’d have to redo the whole thing and would have to build it so that the base sits on the floor.  If you made it table-top, I think you’d lose the perspective and all people would see would be a 1/32 Helldiver hanging in space.  The forced perspective seems to work best if you are looking down on it from the airplane’s point of view.

You're likely right, and why I decided on this smaller scale after your tipper about it being on sale at Sprue Brothers a couple years back.  Included in that same purchase was a LSP B-24J, which has been patiently waiting.  She's next in the build pile, so maybe I should just simmer down...!

3 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

I was actually thinking it might do really well wall-mounted at head height, so you can get the perspective without having to stare down at it.  Either way, a phenomenal result for a really creative project.

As it happens, yesterday was the anniversary of this attack. I follow the CAF Helldiver on FB and they had posted a picture from it.  They do a good job of posting all sorts of historical Helldiver stuff, so if you like the Beast, I highly recommend it!

20 hours ago, Alex said:

I was actually thinking it might do really well wall-mounted at head height, so you can get the perspective without having to stare down at it.  Either way, a phenomenal result for a really creative project.

This is actually very close to what I have planned.  I have a pretty small curio cabinet, so I'll be propping it up so that when viewed from outside the forced perspective bit is on full display.  As soon as Nats is over several of my models are getting donated to veteran's associations for their upcoming reunions.  Should clear out enough space that it'll be on full display on it's own shelf.

-Peter