Hasegawa

Grizly

On the LSP home page it is great to see the pictures of completed models all of which are done to a very high standard. Conversely, it is frustrating to see that a high percentage are 1/32 scale Hasegawa kits most of which can now only be found on the likes of EBay at inflated prices. It completely escapes me why the company doesn't re-release those kits such as their P-40 series or 109F-4 or P-47 that are obviously appreciated and undoubtedly wanted by the modelling community. Am I missing something?

Missing something?  Not at all.  IIRC there was a similar thread a while back (pre-pandemic?)  based on a similar question.  My angle on this is about ROI for repop of kits that are 10 years old or so is too scary. Despite the high prices on eBay these are not rare kits.  I expect we will see a few here and there.  Join a club.  This a good way to find out when kits and stashes become available.  

Regarding the ROI (return of investment) in re-releasing kits, I would have thought that posed minimal risk given the bulk of the cost is in design and mould making which would have been absorbed in the initial release. As for competing kits, given a choice between a Hasegawa P-40 or a Trumpeter P-40, I'd pick the Hasegawa kit. The same is true for the 109F-4 or P-47. Then again, maybe I'm missing something.

1 hour ago, KUROK said:

Eduard has re-popped the P-40 a couple years ago.
Hope they do it again.

They do a great job with that....great decals, resin, photoetch...

Did not Eduard offer the P-47 sprues only rebox of the Haswgawa kit?

4 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Did not Eduard offer the P-47 sprues only rebox of the Haswgawa kit?

Yep!  That was another nice Hasegawa sprue boxing from Eduard!

• 2 weeks later...

Isn’t the lack of a new-design 1/32 WW2 kit from Hasegawa more troubling? As others have pointed out, the out-of-production kits will be available on eBay for a while, but where’s a new Hellcat? Hurricane? Etc.? If it is true that Hasegawa has abandoned LSPs, it is a tragedy.

23 minutes ago, AdamR said:

If it is true that Hasegawa has abandoned LSPs, it is a tragedy.

A pity yes, a tragedy no. No more uber kits from Tamiya, get the GWH P-40! No more WnW kits, get CSM ones! No more Hasegawa kits, get ICM or the soon to be released Kotare kits! Things change but the offer is still there...hopefully!

Hasegawa have been repopping the Ki-43 Nakajima Hayabusa regularly since the early 1970s when it first came out. I know, I have two in the stash, including the Manchukuo edition. It really deserves a new tool. 

Hasegawa recently — a long time ago in dog years but recently in human terms — put out a complerely new tool Type 52 Zero to supersede the 1970s moulds of that. It's lovely. I don't see them as having given up 1/32 prop planes the way Tamiya appear to have done. The level of detail and complexity is really totally right, so I hope we get a newie before long. A bubbletop low back Ki-61, new Ki-43, Griffon Spitfire or F6F Hellcat done akin to their Zero would be inspiring.

The GWH P-40 is overkill IMHO. The Z-M Bf 109 G-14 ditto, with unnecessary gizzards. I used to build WW2 single engine types to "relax" after the stress of doing a jet and its complex paintwork. That option is disappearing, but I do hope to see the Z-M Ki-100 and Kotare Spitfires which latter I believe does away with the unnecessary in-line engine.

Tony 

I am kind of the opposite of Tony, I am happy to get all the extra parts and choose to use what I want or don:t want.  Often someone wants those parts.  I am looking foreword to a GWH P-40, I will do the engine as a separate kit detached from the model.  

As to the ZM 109 it has a number of parts again I might not use but it also has a whole lot of visible detail.  I don:t know if I am getting this release or not, looking foreword to their 190 though.

I did not love some of the Hasegawa 1/32 releases because they were more like big 1/48 kits without the finesse of detail I want in 1/32.  Take Kotare their surface and cockpit detail promise to be world class.  I expect that if I am buying a 1/32 kit with no engine etc.  New nice kits are coming out all the time, so I am not often inclined to buy an older release with less detail or more basic detail.  It is much easier for me to omit than create what is missing for my personal skill set.

Edited by cbk57

we are wonderfully diverse but with a unified love of LSP's :D 

Over the past year I've picked up nearly all of the Hasegawa 1/32 Japanese aircraft as I'd never previously built them (amazing really as I've been sticking and painting since the late 60's) and have enjoyed building each one - bit like Tony said, they are certainly a relaxing build. 

I would like to see hasegawa expand the line. I like the approach......very good out of the box and relatively easy to build. Perhaps spin off into early jets. Retool the F-86, add the panther/ cougar (I know the Fishers kits are out there but sadly they are gone/ very pricey), throw in some banshees, and add a new tool (hasegawa level) f-80/ t-33/ F-94 line........that would keep me busy for a while lol.