Academy F/A-18C out of production?

LSP_K2

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I've been looking online for the Academy legacy Hornet, and can find nothing. Is the kit currently OOP? Anybody know?

Thanks a bunch,

Heya Kev ...

As far as I know - the only kit readily available when I went shopping for them a couple of years back was the 'D' model ... and those were the last few available at the end of a production run ... They re-popped the 'A' - 'Red Devils' box with some RAAF markings about 3-6 months after I started looking - so there's quite a few of those still around. I bought 2. 

When I made some enquiries to those 'in the know' about how to go about creating a 'B' ... I was advised emphatically to use a 'D' - as the only real changes were little ones: cockpit (from memory - the parts required are either already in the kit - or readily available as an AM resin cockpit) ... and something to do with nodes on the vertical stabiliser. 'D' variants were already getting thin on the ground when I bought the one I have in the stash.

There are still plenty of 'A' variant kits available ... So I'm wondering if a similar situation is applicable to converting an 'A' to a 'C' - a couple of small tweaks internally and externally and some AM decals??

Rog :)

Kit-wise, the only difference between the A and C kits is the tails on the D sprue.  They use a mold insert on the sprue to mold the proper tails for the version boxed.  The Kinetic A/B/C/D kit got around this by including both versions of the D sprue in their boxing.

3 hours ago, Grizly said:

Isn't the Kinetic kit the same as that from Academy? While it too is no longer in stock, you might be able to find one on line (EBaY?).

I can't find the C version of that either.

9 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Kit-wise, the only difference between the A and C kits is the tails on the D sprue.  They use a mold insert on the sprue to mold the proper tails for the version boxed.  The Kinetic A/B/C/D kit got around this by including both versions of the D sprue in their boxing.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

I can't find the C version of that either.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Agreed, I’ve got a couple of Kinetic kits in my stash and a Academy kit. From all I can see of the kits parts you can build a A,B,C or D with the Kinetic kit, other than the A tails which, if you’re handy with a sanding stick can be back dated from a C or D tail 

there’s a bewildering array of instrument panels in the Kinetic kits as well.

not much help I know but my .02 cents (Canadian so .005 cent US) worth

9 hours ago, chrish said:

Agreed, I’ve got a couple of Kinetic kits in my stash and a Academy kit. From all I can see of the kits parts you can build a A,B,C or D with the Kinetic kit, other than the A tails which, if you’re handy with a sanding stick can be back dated from a C or D tail 

there’s a bewildering array of instrument panels in the Kinetic kits as well.

not much help I know but my .02 cents (Canadian so .005 cent US) worth

If you ever want to part with one of them (Kinetic Boxing) let me know via PM ... Easier to build a 'B' OOB than to muck around changing a 'D' I reckon ...

On 5/23/2022 at 12:38 PM, Artful69 said:

If you ever want to part with one of them (Kinetic Boxing) let me know via PM ... Easier to build a 'B' OOB than to muck around changing a 'D' I reckon ...

if you are interested and have no luck with the Kinetic's I have more than one of two of both the Academy D's and the C's tucked away for a rainy day. It's been a while since I posted out to Australia, so I am unsure of the p&p costs, but if you get stuck drop me a pm and we can sort something out.

Gary.

15 hours ago, Redcap1960 said:

if you are interested and have no luck with the Kinetic's I have more than one of two of both the Academy D's and the C's tucked away for a rainy day. It's been a while since I posted out to Australia, so I am unsure of the p&p costs, but if you get stuck drop me a pm and we can sort something out.

Gary.

Hi Gary ...

Thanks for the offer ... I have 2x Academy 'A's in the stash as well as a 'D' (to be converted to a 'B') ... I'm up for buying a Kinetic Boxing in the right condition at the right price but that's about it ...

16 hours ago, Squizzy said:

ACS brand co have them in stock, $235. Which isn’t cheap, but is now the norm for that kit.

Which, to my way of thinking, is quite insane. My roommate has one that he's considering parting with, and that will probably be my best option. Time will tell.