Hobby 2000 Messerschmitt BF-109E-3

Ripped all the supporting tape off it this morning and took a few shots.  Happily, there's only a little clean up needed and everything aligns OK.

dSrZFs.jpg

g9FIOb.jpg

ChkaeQ.jpg

With the engine cowl fitted.  This fits on nicely, so I've got all the alignment right in the end.  In this closer shot, you can see a slight gap between the fuselage and lower engine cowl, but a little carefully applied filler should fix that.

D1zmQu.jpg

Is3ADg.jpg

I can't fit the cowl behind, as that is the part I'm missing.  I'll be chasing this up later on today.

That's it for the moment.

Cheers,

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to the still missing gun cowling, this project has stalled.  I'm not yet ready to consign it to the shelf of doom, but the delay in obtaining the missing part is very frustrating.  I'm presently waiting on a delivery from Hannants and I'm hopeful that they've included said missing part which they say they've received from H2K with that delivery.  If not, we shall be having words........

I have made a tiny bit of progress, however, and the machine guns have now been installed, with a little extra wiring added.

QwAviq.jpg

I used the engine cowl to set the appropriate alignment, and both can be seen directly through the apertures.

vNL8q3.jpg

As I've mentioned before, I have an old Hasegawa 109E and had visions of using the gun cowl from that.  But there's an issue or three.

c4L60m.jpg

Thankfully, I've had a very generous offer from a member here to cast a resin part, but I'd rather wait until I see what arrives from Hannants either this week or next.  If someone is gracious enough to make such an offer, I'd rather not waste their time until all other avenues are exhausted. 

There's still a few more parts to add to the model before I can begin painting, too, but one way or another, I intend on finishing this.  It's just a question of when.  In the meantime, I'm starting a model for the Nocturnal Activities GB.

Cheers,

Michael

On 8/7/2022 at 3:32 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Yep, the old Hasegawa Emil is too long in that area. Basically, the cockpit is in the wrong spot, being too far aft.

Kev

Another reason to wreck this old build.  I've had the idea of fitting the engine into a Ki-61.  But that's a while off at the moment.

Cheers,

Michael

On 8/13/2022 at 1:29 AM, Thunnus said:

Keep us updated on the cowl part, Michael!  I'd love to see this build continue.

Me too.  Other than a couple of silly things in the instructions, and a missing part :angry2:, I think it's the best Emil on the market.

Cheers,

Michael

• 1 month later...

Look what I got yesterday!!  :m0152:

MqFSjR.jpg

The downside is that the part fits as badly as reports have suggested...  :(

sTWNjb.jpg

As the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it. :hmmm:

I'll worry about this later and investigate a fix once I've finished my present Hurricane build.  But at least I can see how I'm going to finish this model.

Cheers,

Michael