U-510 Late War Type IX C Monsun U-Boat

Uncarina

• 2 weeks later...

Winston Churchill once wrote that, "the only thing that ever really frightened me during the war was the U-boat peril".

It has been a few weeks, but I have been plugging away, albeit slowly since I am glad to write that I have a new job keeping me busy. I've added the jackstaff and the  2 cm Flak C30 twin guns. The latter has been by far the trickiest part of the entire build so far, with a myriad of pieces that could hold a rave on the head of a pin!

HxahiYD.jpg

kFovRCE.jpg

xfVlGHI.jpg

Almost done with the upper wintergarten, and then I'll focus on the lower level. Until next time,

Cheers,  Tom

Tom,

Coming in late to your build, and I have the same kit taking up (a huge amount of) space in my closet.  You are doing amazing work, and love your comments and efforts using the Pontos kit.  Keep up the terrific work and pictures!  (BTW, how are you planning on painting this beast??).

Chris

4 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Tom,

Coming in late to your build, and I have the same kit taking up (a huge amount of) space in my closet.  You are doing amazing work, and love your comments and efforts using the Pontos kit.  Keep up the terrific work and pictures!  (BTW, how are you planning on painting this beast??).

Chris

Thank you! I'm really glad you are enjoying the build, and welcome aboard. For painting, I will be keeping as many subassemblies separate as possible to color each individually.  Otherwise, there will be a lot of ultrafine applications with my airbrush. It's the weathering that I really want to focus on to make realistic.

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

All of that brass work is beautiful!

Thank you Gazzas!

Cheers,  Tom

14 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

Boy this looks like fun! Great job! 

Jim, thank you! It has been fun so far except for assembling the guns, which are so very very fragile.

9 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Great stuff, like other have commented almost a shame to paint it...

I didn't know those U-Boats ventured out so far!

Thank you! I know what you mean. I've learned a lot about these boats after starting this build.

Cheers,  Tom

• 3 months later...

Hi Tom, I just looked through the entire thread; outstanding work as always my friend!  Cutting out the free flooding vents really adds to the realism; the Pontos set looks like it is comprehensive indeed, and you are doing it justice.  I have this kit in the stash and will get to it someday.  In the past, I have built Revell's Type VIIc and VII 41 kits and still have them in the vitrine; maybe I'll take some photos of them to share them on the site. 

Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing your next steps with this build.

Ernest   

Edited by Greif8