U-510 Late War Type IX C Monsun U-Boat

Uncarina

"The distances to pass between Europe and South East Asia were huge, ranging from 11,200 nmi and 12,500 nmi depending on the point of last departure and first arrival. The duration of the voyages reported from the U-boats ranged from 84 days (U 511) to 171 days (U 188). After the Japanese submarines had carried out already by and large two-way transport missions between the Far East and German bases in occupied France as early as 1942, German U-boats were reassigned for that type of mission in mid-1944 as well, since the voyages of blockade breaking German merchant vessels between Europe and South East Asia and return to had to given up at the end of 1943. Ultimately, U-boats were the last remaining means of direct communication between the war allies Germany and Japan, in particular for shipping war essential material."

--http://dubm.de/en/the-voyage-to-the-far-east/

I've been making some rapid progress lately, and managed to finish adding the all details to the upper fairwater except for the railings and guns. The UZO was particularly challenging, but I love the added details:

aQJR4gx.jpg

Z6naq2A.jpg

JkRebg6.jpg

bA7ZGPF.jpg

g8nW7TR.jpg

And a couple of perspective photos:

H9oHlYI.jpg

jbenYhL.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

11 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Looks great! I like the little steps in the side of the hull. I'm not sure the type VII had those.

Thanks Kevin!

6 minutes ago, themongoose said:

You’re an ace with the PE! That’s a superb looking fairwater

Thank you! I appreciate it. I’ve had a thing for photoetch ever since I started adding Gold Medal Models upgrades to my Navy subjects Back in the ‘90’s.

Cheers,  Tom

WOW Tom! That's some super tidy PE work you have done there mate! Well done - very professional. How do you apply the CA to the parts without (in my case: inevitable) puddles or drips? I've got a small piece of brass wire attached to a piece of brass tubing that I've started using to apply the glue with better results than I used to get but every now and then I still get the prior mentioned issues - mostly with the tiniest pieces of PE. I'm interested to hear how you do it so neatly.

11 hours ago, B-17 said:

Incredible work Tom. I should send another U-boat your way when this one is done to continue your exhibition of skill and talent.

What's your go to adhesive for the photo-etch?

Jeff

Jeff, thank you! That’s very generous, both with your praise and the offer. I have another three kits in the stash and two more on hold, but it was the one you sent me that kick started this whole thing.

4 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

WOW Tom! That's some super tidy PE work you have done there mate! Well done - very professional. How do you apply the CA to the parts without (in my case: inevitable) puddles or drips? I've got a small piece of brass wire attached to a piece of brass tubing that I've started using to apply the glue with better results than I used to get but every now and then I still get the prior mentioned issues - mostly with the tiniest pieces of PE. I'm interested to hear how you do it so neatly.

Thank you Si! For the photoetch I use Future floor polish as adhesive for low stress surfaces, but for this build so far I’ve just been using medium-viscosity CA. I’m applying it with a sharpened toothpick, and for tiny pieces (like the hatch hinges in the fourth photo above) I use the other end wetted to pick up and position. I’m also using two different kinds of optivisors for all this.

Cheers,  Tom