U-510 Late War Type IX C Monsun U-Boat

Uncarina

3 hours ago, ringleheim said:

The model looks great; all that P/E on the deck really adds a nice detail.

Did you know they have an ENTIRE Mk. IX C U-boat in CHICAGO of all places?!

https://www.msichicago.org/press/press-releases/u-505-submarine/

I've been meaning to get up there and check it out, but haven't,... yet.

7 hours ago, ringleheim said:

The model looks great; all that P/E on the deck really adds a nice detail.

Did you know they have an ENTIRE Mk. IX C U-boat in CHICAGO of all places?!

https://www.msichicago.org/press/press-releases/u-505-submarine/

Thanks you! I almost don’t want to paint it. At least I can record it with pictures before it gets covered up. That’s U-505, which was captured by the USS Guadalcanal battle group. Here’s a pretty comprehensive reference: https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/U505.pdf

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I've been meaning to get up there and check it out, but haven't,... yet.

I’d love to see it as well, and love looking at the reference photos.  The Revell kit is a very nice representation.

Cheers,  Tom

10 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

I’d love to see it as well, and love looking at the reference photos.  The Revell kit is a very nice representation.

Cheers,  Tom

A few years back, Lewis Pruneau, a local chap, since passed on, depicted the 505 as it was being recovered. He did a wonderful job, as he always did.

I've been following this from the start and I must say, I'm amazed at the level of detail and also the work you are putting into this beauty. Cutting out all those drainage holes mut have taken forever, but as with any good model, there are periods of sheer boredom to contend with.  Looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you! I’m glad you like it so far. Yes cutting out those drainage holes was a lot of work but it went faster with my Dremel. Cutting all of the wood slots has actually taken more effort, but I’m almost done with them. Through it all I am still having a lot of fun with this build, and continuously marvel at the fit and engineering of the Pontos set. I’ve made almost enough progress to post another update!

Cheers,  Tom

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Thank you! I’m glad you like it so far. Yes cutting out those drainage holes was a lot of work but it went faster with my Dremel. Cutting all of the wood slots has actually taken more effort, but I’m almost done with them. Through it all I am still having a lot of fun with this build, and continuously marvel at the fit and engineering of the Pontos set. I’ve made almost enough progress to post another update!

Cheers,  Tom

I would have thought that laser cut deck would already have the openings,... open. On my VIIC and VIIC/41, the deck is painted such a dark color, that the molded-in drain slots are very adequate, Opening them would reveal nothing, as there is no pressure hull to see.

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I would have thought that laser cut deck would already have the openings,... open. On my VIIC and VIIC/41, the deck is painted such a dark color, that the molded-in drain slots are very adequate, Opening them would reveal nothing, as there is no pressure hull to see.

I thought the same thing, but these wood decks are like the Tamiya canopy masks: they are only etched partway, and you have to cut them out. The Revell molded decks are very presentable, but this is sort of an experiment to see if I these wood decks are more realistic if I lightly sand them in places once painted--we'll see! At this point in planning future builds I would only opt for an aftermarket deck if the subject I chose had a planked vs. slotted deck, like in the late VIIC's.

Cheers,  Tom

U-510 sailed from Lorient to Penang on November 3rd, 1943 for her fifth patrol, rounding the Cape of Good Hope into the Indian Ocean then operating off the Arabian Peninsula, sinking two ships. From there she sailed to Penang, sinking three more ships along the way. When she arrived she had been at sea for 155 days. --Uboat.net

I've been slowly but steadily working on the fairwater details. First up was the hatch, an exercise in extreme photoetch. The design allows you to theoretically be able to open and close the hatch, but the interior details are incredibly fragile. I added them (just because), then glued the hatch shut since there is no interior anyway:

nzE315w.jpg

After adding more details to this section I moved aft to the wooden sections, which I applied after once again cutting out each slot:

BRz3oKu.jpg

UeQdt7s.jpg

s1utvn7.jpg

Still a ways to go, but I'm anticipating things should move faster as I actually add parts from the original kit!

Cheers,  Tom