U-510 Late War Type IX C Monsun U-Boat

Uncarina

The Monsun Gruppe was formed as part of a cooperative effort between Germany and Japan to exchange strategic raw materials and to sink allied shipping. Both German and Japanese submarines operated in the Indian Ocean, and due to difficulties in identification, both forces were not allowed to attack other submarines. Forty one German submarines participated, and U 510 sank six ships of various nationalities before arriving in Penang, the base of operations. She was one of the few submarines that survived to return to Europe. (Wikipedia)

I've reached the milestone of adding almost all of the hull details. I'll be holding off on assembling the 120cm deck gun until I've reached the stage of addressing the Wintergarten armament. Despite all of the effort, the build has gone relatively fast to this point (though it didn't seem like it, it's been less than three weeks), and the engineering and fit of the Pontos set has been amazing. Even without the set the kit is a pleasure to put together!

sP1A7Ty.jpg

SiUGyyX.jpg

ptpfmcU.jpeg

PsytTPn.jpg

Here you can see where I've addressed the seam between the fore and aft hull sections, and once I have a primer coat applied I'll be restoring the rivet detail using Archer's Rivets.

Cps2sRG.jpg

DB5KlMu.jpg

On to the fairwater next. New territory at last!

Cheers,  Tom

2 hours ago, B-17 said:

Tom,

That is stunning progress in both speed and quality. I can't wait to see what you can do to the wintergarten.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I’m a bit surprised at how fast it’s gone as well. I’m looking forward to the next stage.

1 hour ago, The Madhatter said:

I've often pondered getting this sub but its just too big for my shelves at the moment. Great job on this so far Tom!

Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement. As big as it is, it definitely takes up less overall room than some large scale aircraft, but I know what you mean.

Cheers,  Tom

That is awesome work! The Pontos set is really amazing as well.

Can't wait to see it finished and weathered up! I have the GATO

class US submarine started but there isn't a lot of things to detail it 

up like the U-boat. Working on building it as the USS Barb in the overall

black paint.  Great job so far!

Cheers...Ron

Ron,

Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement, and it’s great to have you aboard. I too have the USS Barb as a long term build I started years ago. I replanked her deck with styrene, but you might be interested in this if your build hasn’t gotten too far:  https://www.rcsubs.cz/index.php/photo-etched-sets/35-sets-for-kit-gato-1-72-revell-05047

Cheers,  Tom

18 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Ron,

Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement, and it’s great to have you aboard. I too have the USS Barb as a long term build I started years ago. I replanked her deck with styrene, but you might be interested in this if your build hasn’t gotten too far:  https://www.rcsubs.cz/index.php/photo-etched-sets/35-sets-for-kit-gato-1-72-revell-05047

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom! 

On 5/21/2022 at 12:41 PM, aircommando130 said:

That is awesome work! The Pontos set is really amazing as well.

Can't wait to see it finished and weathered up! I have the GATO

class US submarine started but there isn't a lot of things to detail it 

up like the U-boat. Working on building it as the USS Barb in the overall

black paint.  Great job so far!

Cheers...Ron

Eduard did some P.E. sets for it. Eduard Gato "stuff"

There were also a few 1:72 deck guns and propellers, but I don't recall the manufacturers.

3 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

I think it looks spectacular!

Ron

Thank you Ron! I’m looking forward to adding more of the Pontos magic, and I hope I do it justice.

Cheers,  Tom

55 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Eduard did some P.E. sets for it. Eduard Gato "stuff"

There were also a few 1:72 deck guns and propellers, but I don't recall the manufacturers.

I added some of the Nautilus Modelworks armament, and White Ensign and Eduard photoetch to my Barb build. I’ll need to finish her at some point!

Cheers,  Tom