Thunderbolt Mk II in Burma (Hasegawa 1:32) - FINISHED

MikeC

Thanks to everyone who posted in my thread asking for advice regarding ordnance on US aircraft in RAF service, specifically Thunderbolts in Burma.

So I thought that the least I could do by way of a "thank you" was to post a WIP.   Here's the kit:

20220515-125515-2.jpg

And here are the bits:

20220515-125700-2.jpg

I'll be adding a set of RAF bombs per the advice in due course.  The nondescript square top right is my sheet of home-cut masks, I thought the cuts wouldn't show, but it deserves to be there.

And I decided to start with a bit of "creative destruction" on the panel to fit the Yahu one.  I've only just started here.  It seems a shame somehow, but I had already bought the Yahu panel.  If I do a second one I may not bother, I'll see what I can do with the kit panel.

20220515-134505.jpg

That's it for now, more in due course.

Edited by MikeC

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice choice, Mike! Will be following.

Kev

Thanks Kev, I've uploaded it to the Masks forum, I'll be posting the marking-specific bits of this over there as well.

Many years ago I built a pair of 1/32 scale Revell P-47's as SEAC aircraft, a razor and a bubble top with the help of some Rutman resin parts so it will be nice to see another one built out of a more modern kit, will follow along.

Cheeers

Dennis

Just a small update, I've been working on the panel.  It really was a shame to lose all that detail.  Getting there:

20220516-112013.jpg

Ah, that's more like it.

20220516-155839.jpg

There'll be a bit more when I've got more worth showing, but apart from a little construction of the basic cockpit module, the tailplanes and the tanks, that's as far as I've got.

6 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

I'd like to see that in better focus, if I may.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

[Edited]  Alas Mark @dodgem37 that was the best I could do in a hurry. The autofocus on my phone camera could't really grasp what I was trying to photograph. I had another go today when I had a bit more time:

20220517-140650.jpg

I've been doing a few construction-type bits here and there: on the wings, one needs to remove a strake and drill some holes if fitting the wing pylons.

20220517-143949.jpg

A small start there, and completed here.

20220517-144813.jpg

It needs a bit of fine-sanding to fully restore the surface, and I'd normally tut in horror at that wonky rescribed panel line and sort it out.  But in fact, the pylons will cover it when fitted, so there's not much point.

Thanks for looking folks.

Edited by MikeC

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back, with some progress.  Forewarned by @Ayovan's excellent build thread I decided to follow suit and remove the mounting plug for the engine.  I thought it might be easier to do it before joining the fuselage halves; I then assembled the two halves of the mounting plug, put it somewhere safe, and wrote down where I'd put it.  (Have you ever put something "somewhere safe" that's so safe even you forget where it is? :doh:)

20220520-141051.jpg

I like to build sub-assemblies ready for painting, so put together all the sub-assemblies I could before getting the paint out.

20220523-121936.jpg

The underwing pylons need some poly-caps installed.  I often find these quite fiddly, and in this case they proved particularly so, until (fortunately while still on #1 of 4 caps) I hit upon using a cocktail stick.

Pick up:

20220522-133953.jpg

Position:

20220522-134002.jpg

Withdraw:

20220522-134007.jpg

et voila!

Some cockpit work: there's some still to do, but it's coming along.  Is it the right interior green?  I think it's probably close enough compared to my references.

20220527-140007-1.jpg

20220527-140103.jpg

20220527-140126.jpg

That's about where I am atm, thanks for your interest.  As ever, any comments or feedback welcome.

Heads up Mike. It was easy to overlook opening the holes for the belly tank sway/support struts before joining the fuselage halves (that is if you plan to use the belly tank). Bill and myself both missed that on our builds.

Edited by Ayovan

26 minutes ago, Ayovan said:

Heads up Mike. It was easy to overlook opening the holes for the belly tank sway/support struts before joining the fuselage halves (that is if you plan to use the belly tank). Bill and myself both missed that on our builds.

Yep. I pioneered ignoring or missing that step, and am still struggling with how to not mess up my paint job to grt them in place. 

6 hours ago, Ayovan said:

Thanks for the thought, appreciated: however I'm not using the belly tank as my reference pics for the particular aircraft (and others) show a clean centreline.   Although having said that, I've just had another look and while there's no tank or other store, the sway braces do seem to be there, so thanks again.

You're right, it's easy to miss it in the instructions, but at least it's there.  I can think of at least one kit I've done (not Hasegawa and not an LSP) where the instructions completely fail to point out some holes that need drilling.

Edited by MikeC