Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Late "Brown 4"

Thunnus

Spectacular job John! Such a great build to follow.

Its nice to see how some of the Eduard exterior set integrates into the model. The delicate cowl flap actuators look tricky but very much worth the effort and you did a impressive job installing those. 

17 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Back with another update on the D-9!  I finally worked up enough motivation to finish the engine plug.  After adding some wiring to the engine body itself, I drilled out some holes in both the forward and rear engine bulkheads for additional wiring runs and then painted the engine parts while the parts were still separated.
IMG-2601.jpg

I then started gluing the engine components together and adding wiring along the way to further complicate/populate this area. The wiring work is not accurate but is intended to simply give the impression of complexity.
IMG-2609.jpg

IMG-2610.jpg

The ammo cannisters and chutes were chipped using hairspray to represent a bit of wear and tear in this area.
IMG-2611.jpg

The last component of the engine plug to be attached is the rear bulkhead. I've added some yellow electrical wiring bundles.
IMG-2613.jpg

IMG-2614.jpg

The wheel well insert was also painted and chipped with hairspray.
IMG-2617.jpg

Now that the engine plug has been completed, I can dry-fit it into the fuselage to see what it looks like with the wheel well insert in place.
IMG-2618.jpg

IMG-2619.jpg

IMG-2620.jpg

Lots of this work gets hidden once the central wing part is in place but there is enough visible to make the previous work worthwhile.
IMG-2623.jpg

IMG-2621.jpg

IMG-2622.jpg

impressive work John!  you really captured that ''busy'' engine look,

i will use it as a reference for mine..

23 hours ago, Greg W said:

Spectacular job John! Such a great build to follow.

Its nice to see how some of the Eduard exterior set integrates into the model. The delicate cowl flap actuators look tricky but very much worth the effort and you did a impressive job installing those. 

The actuators ARE a bit tricky in that they are meant to span a specific distance and there are no references or markings on the cowl flaps for placement.  I had to adjust quite a few of them when they got bent out of shape being too close to the fuselage.

7 hours ago, duke_ said:

impressive work John!  you really captured that ''busy'' engine look,

i will use it as a reference for mine..

Thank you so much, Spyros.  Looking at photo references for this area always gives me a headache... don't know which way is up or down! Glad to have passed this stage of the build!

3 hours ago, themongoose said:

Thunnus when i 1st opened the post i thought those pics were the real thing you were showing for reference. Awesome job man!

Thank you sir!

Pushing forward a little bit more on this Dora.  Here are the Eduard brass ammo chutes glued into place and painted.
IMG-2625.jpg

With the engine plug complete and temporarily in place, I can also dry-fit the cockpit tub.
IMG-2626.jpg

IMG-2629.jpg

I'm now ready to glue the fuselage halves together.  There are three sub-assemblies that go inside the fuselage. The cockpit slides into place after the fuselage is together so that will be last.
IMG-2631.jpg

I'm not sure if I showed the painted Eagle Editions resin tail wheel strut so here it is...
IMG-2632.jpg

The tail wheel is glued into place with CA glue.  I had to trim the corner of the tail wheel base to allow the tabs of the horizontal tail planes to fit.
IMG-2633.jpg

The engine plug is glued into the starboard fuselage side first.
IMG-2635.jpg

The joint along the base of the supercharger intake was treated with multiple applications of Mr Surfacer 1000.
IMG-2636.jpg

The little scoop on top of the gun cowling is not ready for attachment but I've hollowed out the end using an x-acto blade.
IMG-2637.jpg

The fuselage halves are now fused together using Tamiya Extra Thin cement.
IMG-2638.jpg

Double checking to see if the engine plug is seated correctly.
IMG-2639.jpg

IMG-2640.jpg

On 7/21/2022 at 4:30 AM, Troy Molitor said:

The last picture really shows off all your hard efforts.  Like you mentioned already, the wheel well fairing will hide a lot but you know it all in there.  Brilliant efforts going on here John.

Regards from Lithuania!  

T

Thanks Troy!  I like that last picture too as a visual summary of the work done so far before it gets covered up.

On 7/21/2022 at 10:38 AM, nmayhew said:

Beautiful work as always

It’s a constant source of puzzlement for me why no aftermarket manufacturer has ever made a resin plug / some add-on bits for the engine / what you can see up through the wheel well

Thank you, as always!

A small detail to attend to... earlier, I had placed a section of brass tubing in the wheel well to accept a piece of wiring so that the wiring run doesn't just end at the edge of the plastic part.  I've cut and bent small pieces of copper wiring so that they will continue the wiring run into the engine compartment.  These parts can be painted dark grey and added afterwards.
IMG-2641.jpg

The interior of the radiator cowling pieces have been painted.  RLM02 Green Grey  (Mr Hobby Aqueous) and Black (Tamiya) are the primary colors used here.  The radiator face has been dry-brushed with Testors Silver to highlight the mesh.  You can see that the hole for the prop is a bit wonky... the result of trying to enlarge an existing hole to accept the Henri Daehne prop shaft.  No worries though... there is a plug glued to the rear with hole that is perfectly centered.
IMG-2642.jpg

While the fuselage seams are being cleaned, this is a good time to check out the fit of the external fuselage components, including the re-shaped gun cowling and the large, Ta-152H-style tail unit.
IMG-2643.jpg

IMG-2644.jpg

IMG-2645.jpg

IMG-2647.jpg

The Fw190D-9 canopy, made of flexible plexiglass, narrows as it slides open to the rear.  In order to replicate this effect, I've glued some tabs to the inside edge of the canopy.  These tabs are simply pieces of photoetch sprue that I found in my spares box and glued into place with CA glue.
IMG-2649.jpg

You can see how the tabs catch the fuselage sides, mimicking the pinching effect of the real canopy.
IMG-2650.jpg

IMG-2651.jpg

IMG-2652.jpg

Next, I'll be doing some work on the landing gear parts.  Mostly kit parts augmented with a pair resin/metal composite legs by Strategic Ordnance Works.
IMG-2654.jpg

Working on the landing gear components, I've added a spring to the actuator arm using lead wire.  I've also added a small junction box and electrical wiring.  The black stem is the post from which the tail landing gear retraction cable will be attached later.  
IMG-2655.jpg

IMG-2656.jpg

Brake lines have been added to the main landing gear legs, made of copper wiring and held in place by small sections of brass tubing.  The last length the brake lines were fashioned with a slightly thicker gauge of wiring and will be added after the gear legs have been painted.
IMG-2657.jpg

These components will be primed with Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 before painting.

4 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks Troy!  I like that last picture too as a visual summary of the work done so far before it gets covered up.

Thank you, as always!

A small detail to attend to... earlier, I had placed a section of brass tubing in the wheel well to accept a piece of wiring so that the wiring run doesn't just end at the edge of the plastic part.  I've cut and bent small pieces of copper wiring so that they will continue the wiring run into the engine compartment.  These parts can be painted dark grey and added afterwards.
IMG-2641.jpg

The interior of the radiator cowling pieces have been painted.  RLM02 Green Grey  (Mr Hobby Aqueous) and Black (Tamiya) are the primary colors used here.  The radiator face has been dry-brushed with Testors Silver to highlight the mesh.  You can see that the hole for the prop is a bit wonky... the result of trying to enlarge an existing hole to accept the Henri Daehne prop shaft.  No worries though... there is a plug glued to the rear with hole that is perfectly centered.
IMG-2642.jpg

While the fuselage seams are being cleaned, this is a good time to check out the fit of the external fuselage components, including the re-shaped gun cowling and the large, Ta-152H-style tail unit.
IMG-2643.jpg

IMG-2644.jpg

IMG-2645.jpg

IMG-2647.jpg

The Fw190D-9 canopy, made of flexible plexiglass, narrows as it slides open to the rear.  In order to replicate this effect, I've glued some tabs to the inside edge of the canopy.  These tabs are simply pieces of photoetch sprue that I found in my spares box and glued into place with CA glue.
IMG-2649.jpg

You can see how the tabs catch the fuselage sides, mimicking the pinching effect of the real canopy.
IMG-2650.jpg

IMG-2651.jpg

IMG-2652.jpg

Next, I'll be doing some work on the landing gear parts.  Mostly kit parts augmented with a pair resin/metal composite legs by Strategic Ordnance Works.
IMG-2654.jpg

Can I ask what CA glue did you use to glue the tabs on please.

12 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Looking great John,  here's a shot of how the pinch happens ...

Thanks for the pic, Mike!  I was previously aware of the hinge along the top front edge of the canopy but had no intention of trying to replicate this effect.  I have zero confidence in trying to manipulate the plastic canopy without putting stress marks or snapping the plastic.  This is the best that I can manage for now.

11 hours ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Can I ask what CA glue did you use to glue the tabs on please.

I used VMS Flexy 5k CA glue to attach the brass tabs to the canopy.

7 hours ago, Sasha As said:

Great construction!!!

Thank you!

I've started painting the landing gear components.  Base color of RLM02 (Mr Hobby Aqueous) over a coat of Mr Primer Surfacer 1000.
IMG-2658.jpg

While that paint dries, I am going to modify/improve the various external antennae including (from top to bottom): the FuG16ZY loop antenna,  FuG16ZY morane antenna, pitot tube and FuG25a IFF antenna.
IMG-2660.jpg

Generally speaking, the kit representations for these parts are too thick and can be easily replaced with other materials.  For the IFF antenna, I simply drill a small hole in the bottom of the base and glue a piece of stretched sprue.  I like stretched sprue in this instance since it is not as easily bent as thin wire.  Note that I have kept the molded antenna intact to make the base easier to hold.
IMG-2661.jpg

The molded antenna is then snipped off.
IMG-2663.jpg

The modified antenna is now more to scale.
IMG-2664.jpg

The FuG16ZY morane antenna tip is snipped off and replaced with a piece of copper wire.
IMG-2665.jpg

IMG-2666.jpg

The tip of the pitot tube is similarly replace with a section of brass tubing.
IMG-2667.jpg

IMG-2668.jpg

The loop antenna is snipped off of its base.  I like to use the thin aluminum from a soda can for this replacement.
IMG-2669.jpg

IMG-2671.jpg

A pin vise is used to hold the small base.  Two holes are drilled out using the tip of an x-acto blade for the new loop.
IMG-2673.jpg

The thin strip of soda can material is wrapped around the shaft of an appropriately-sized paint brush to get the circular shape.
IMG-2672.jpg

One end is attached first with CA glue.  Since there is a bit of springiness in the loop, it's best to let the glue cure before attaching the other side.
IMG-2674.jpg

After attaching the other side, you can gently adjust and re-shape the loop to your satisfaction.
IMG-2675.jpg

Four quick and easy modifications!
IMG-2677.jpg