Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Late "Brown 4"

Thunnus

Following with great interest! Just a thought: when masking the metal panels on the underwings and doing the flat cote, the black Balkenkreuze are divided into a flat and a glossy area (as far as I can see). If not planned from the beginning, you might be able to correct this before beginning the weathering. 

As written in the beginning: no critics, just a thought. 

Cheers 

Reimund 

Thanks everyone! 

On 11/5/2022 at 3:05 AM, Isar 30/07 said:

Following with great interest! Just a thought: when masking the metal panels on the underwings and doing the flat cote, the black Balkenkreuze are divided into a flat and a glossy area (as far as I can see). If not planned from the beginning, you might be able to correct this before beginning the weathering. 

As written in the beginning: no critics, just a thought. 

Cheers 

Reimund 

Thanks Reimund!  I noticed that as well and have since given the shiny portion of the black crosses a flat coat.

The build is creeping along.  My mind has been distracted by work and also potential new projects.  I may start a new build and leave the Ki-61 build for a little later as I don't feel like riveting right now.

The cowl gun barrels were painted prior to the post shading but I forgot to post it.  Because the gun barrels hang from the ceiling of the cowling and separated from the troughs, they are easy to mask off and paint.
IMG-3254.jpg

IMG-3255.jpg

Another round of post shading was done and this is what Brown 4 looks like prior to the salt fading stage.
IMG-3269.jpg

IMG-3270.jpg

Thanks Jay!  Appreciate the comments very much!  Ain't gonna lie... I still sometimes take the model in hand and imagine it flying, like I did when I was a kid.

The next weathering step is salt fading.  Sometimes used created chipping effects, this technique utilizes salt crystals to form a mask of random spot patterns.  The salt is affixed to the model using a thin layer of water... when the water dries, the salt is temporarily fused onto the model's surface.
IMG-3281.jpg

Once dry, a highly diluted lighter color such as tan or grey is randomly sprayed onto the model.  This is a tricky technique as it is very difficult to discern how heavy or light the diluted color is being applied.  I like a very subtle, barely noticeable effect but I have a hard time dialing it in.  This time, the effect was a little too strong.  This is a very thin layer so it can be scrubbed back using Micromesh.
IMG-3286.jpg

IMG-3287.jpg

After some adjustments, the salt fading looks a little less pronounced.  I still need to work on it a little bit more.  It's important to let the model sit a few days after salt fading to catch any remnants of salt crust that can collect in cracks and crevices. The exhaust stains were applied during the post shading step.
IMG-3291.jpg

IMG-3293.jpg

IMG-3292.jpg

IMG-3294.jpg

I normally apply the salt fading on the upper surfaces as it seems to mimic the stains left by water drying after rain.  A closer look at some of the streaking effects applied by airbrush during the post shading stage.
IMG-3295.jpg

IMG-3296.jpg

You are building a true work of art John!  I have never been brave enough to try the salt method on aircraft, only armor.  With armor you can weather heavier if you get the salt staining/chipping too heavy.  I am always afraid I'll ruin a build late in the construction phase.

Ernest

Love those wheel wells!  So many modelers ignore them when they are weathering.  In reality, wheel wells are probably the grimiest part of an aircraft.   One humble suggestion on weathering - your subject appears to be a very late war aircraft.   Keep in mind by that time, most Luftwaffe aircraft were hardly ever flown due to fuel shortages, so you probably won't see a high degree of wear and tear on the airframe.   As always though, there were exceptions.   

Keep up the good work! 

All of the work here is just so beautifully rendered, from build to paint to post. Its a real treat to go over the thread multiple times and soak it in. 

Which flat clear have you used and how do you like to apply it?

Edited by Greg W