Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Late "Brown 4"

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  Jumping back onto the D-9 build for a bit... I thought I'd get the upper wing riveting out of the way.  Riveting takes some time effort and I need to be motivated to actually put in the hours so when the inclination bubbled up this afternoon, I took advantage of it.  The first and most tedious step is to draw the rivet patterns on the model parts. Lots of rivets on the upper wings!
IMG-2531.jpg

Once the rivet patterns are drawn, a wheeled rivet tool is used to punch tiny holes in a linear row.  
IMG-2532.jpg

IMG-2534.jpg

The wings are then sanded to get rid of the raised plastic around each rivet hole.  A temporary pastel wash is used to check the results.
IMG-2535.jpg

You can see that the wing surface is nice and smooth now compared to the pic prior to sanding.
IMG-2539.jpg

Both upper wings have been riveted.
IMG-2540.jpg

Circular fasteners along the leading edge of the wing that are added using a beading tool.
IMG-2541.jpg

17 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks guys!  Jumping back onto the D-9 build for a bit... I thought I'd get the upper wing riveting out of the way.  Riveting takes some time effort and I need to be motivated to actually put in the hours so when the inclination bubbled up this afternoon, I took advantage of it.  The first and most tedious step is to draw the rivet patterns on the model parts. Lots of rivets on the upper wings!
IMG-2531.jpg

Once the rivet patterns are drawn, a wheeled rivet tool is used to punch tiny holes in a linear row.  
IMG-2532.jpg

IMG-2534.jpg

The wings are then sanded to get rid of the raised plastic around each rivet hole.  A temporary pastel wash is used to check the results.
IMG-2535.jpg

You can see that the wing surface is nice and smooth now compared to the pic prior to sanding.
IMG-2539.jpg

Both upper wings have been riveted.
IMG-2540.jpg

Circular fasteners along the leading edge of the wing that are added using a beading tool.
IMG-2541.jpg

just beautiful John!

when i am looking at this i think  this has become a second nature for you , i bet  you can do it without even looking at the drawings.

you making it look so easy.. Amazing

today i tried to test riveting the port FW D9 wing ... needless to say  i spent almost an hour for about 10 lines and  i ended up with a damaged wing...

but its ok i have 2 more kits

The landing gear covers have been riveted.  Check out the stress marks that were caused by me pushing down on the rivet wheel.
IMG-2542.jpg

In terms of riveting, I've saved the most intense for last.  The wing bottom took a long time at the drawing stage.  I had to wipe one side off completely and start over because it wasn't matching the other side.  Once drawn, the actual riveting doesn't take too much time.
IMG-2543.jpg

Again, the wing bottom are sanded smooth and then given a pastel wash to check the work.
IMG-2547.jpg

IMG-2545.jpg

Just to compare, here is the wing bottom without any riveting work.
IMG-2550.jpg

The added detail is significant and I consider it standard practice for my 1/32 builds.  And I much prefer the effect of the manually applied rivets compared to rivets that are molded into a kit.  They are smaller, sharper and hold a wash better than molded rivets.
IMG-2551.jpg

10 hours ago, Thunnus said:

And I much prefer the effect of the manually applied rivets compared to rivets that are molded into a kit.  They are smaller, sharper and hold a wash better than molded rivets.

I think we can all agree on this statement.  Looks fantastic John.  Wow.  

One of these days, I'm going to have to rivet a kit.  Your work always makes them look better, and more authentic to my eye at least.  I know it's not for everybody, but I like the way it looks on your builds.

Does doing the pastel wash at this point cause any issues down the line when it comes to paint? Does the detail ever get filled in?

Matt 

Edited by scvrobeson

11 hours ago, Rick K said:

Just found this build string.

Your detail is incredible and the pit is beyond colorful positive metaphors.

Thank you very much Rick!

53 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

I think we can all agree on this statement.  Looks fantastic John.  Wow.  

Thanks Troy!  First bass trip of the season coming up this weekend! :coolio:

11 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

One of these days, I'm going to have to rivet a kit.  Your work always makes them look better, and more authentic to my eye at least.  I know it's not for everybody, but I like the way it looks on your builds.

Does doing the pastel wash at this point cause any issues down the line when it comes to paint? Does the detail ever get filled in?

Matt 

Thanks Matt!  I personally like the effect produced by the rivet wheel.  It's quite subtle, especially once the camo colors go on. At this scale, my goal is to present the rivets as flat dots and the panel lines as flat lines.  I don't want them to look like physical holes and grooves.  So the pastel wash accomplishes two things: highlights the recessed detail and effectively "flattens" the rivets and panel lines.

The detail does get filled in at times so I'm conscious of my paint/weathering layers that go on.  This initial pastel wash gets scrubbed in the kitchen sink with a soft toothbrush prior to assembly just to keep the rivets and panel lines as clean as possible.

38 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

The detail does get filled in at times so I'm conscious of my paint/weathering layers that go on.  This initial pastel wash gets scrubbed in the kitchen sink with a soft toothbrush prior to assembly just to keep the rivets and panel lines as clean as possible.

Ah, that answers my questions then. Thank you

Matt 

46 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

John, are you using the GoPro again?  (Fishing trip).  I'm still smirking over the bullfrog catch from last year.  Frog on!  

Yeah, I'll have my GoPro strapped on.  Reports have fishing being slow right now so it might be one of those "grind it out" kind of days. Hopefully, I'll get enough footage for my youtube channel.

• 2 weeks later...

Since fishing season has started so I've not been as hyper-focused on modeling as I have been.  Jumped back onto the D-9 build for a few updates.  The tail stabilizers have been riveted.
IMG-2591.jpg

The cowling flap actuating rods were added from the Eduard Exterior set.
IMG-2592.jpg

IMG-2593.jpg

The rear engine assembly has been giving me the most pause, as usual.  You'd think that after building this kit for the fifth time, that I'd have some sort of system or at least good idea of how to approach this area but I took a slightly different approach this time.  Guided by photos of the Jumo 213 engine, I added some wire junctions on either side of the engine body instead of just spreading random wires around the periphery of the visible engine as I've done in the past.  I'll still add the peripheral wiring but I thought working from the inside out might get me a more realistically cluttered look to this area.
IMG-2596.jpg

IMG-2597.jpg

Here are the majority of the engine components ready for painting.
IMG-2598.jpg

The components with metal wiring are primed with Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 first.
IMG-2599.jpg

More engine work to come!

• 2 weeks later...

Back with another update on the D-9!  I finally worked up enough motivation to finish the engine plug.  After adding some wiring to the engine body itself, I drilled out some holes in both the forward and rear engine bulkheads for additional wiring runs and then painted the engine parts while the parts were still separated.
IMG-2601.jpg

I then started gluing the engine components together and adding wiring along the way to further complicate/populate this area. The wiring work is not accurate but is intended to simply give the impression of complexity.
IMG-2609.jpg

IMG-2610.jpg

The ammo cannisters and chutes were chipped using hairspray to represent a bit of wear and tear in this area.
IMG-2611.jpg

The last component of the engine plug to be attached is the rear bulkhead. I've added some yellow electrical wiring bundles.
IMG-2613.jpg

IMG-2614.jpg

The wheel well insert was also painted and chipped with hairspray.
IMG-2617.jpg

Now that the engine plug has been completed, I can dry-fit it into the fuselage to see what it looks like with the wheel well insert in place.
IMG-2618.jpg

IMG-2619.jpg

IMG-2620.jpg

Lots of this work gets hidden once the central wing part is in place but there is enough visible to make the previous work worthwhile.
IMG-2623.jpg

IMG-2621.jpg

IMG-2622.jpg