Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Late "Brown 4"

Thunnus

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Sad to continue with the Dora build after the recent passing of Mr. Jerry Crandall, who was such a great authority on Luftwaffe aircraft and had a great love for the Dora in particular.  I'm dedicating this build to his memory.
de1ec1a4-5f6e-49be-957e-7b5c8c6c0254.jpg

D-13_markings_029.jpg

I started painting the instrument panel on the Dora.  The body is RLM 66 Dark Grey and I've highlighted the bezels in black.  Some of the instrument bezels were made of brownish bakelite and so I've painted the largest bezel in brown.
IMG-2288.jpg

Each instrument will be populated individually using decals from Airscale.  The trickiest thing about this operation is centering the small circular decals in the punch... kinda like peering down an anthole. I got this far when I noticed that I was missing some of the needed instruments and had to put in a Sprue Brothers order.
IMG-2290.jpg

IMG-2291.jpg

Looking at my instrument panel references, I noticed a discrepancy.  The photo below is of the D-9 that belongs to the National Air and Space Museum.  The largest instrument is the artificial horizon.  To the right of that, appears to be the compass, with the variometer next to it.
061114-F-1234P-001.JPG

The Vintage Eagle website has two vintage D-9 main panels which show the compass and variometer positions switched.
Fw190D9-InstrumentPanel-GI-Souvenir_12_2

Fw190D9-InstrumentPanel-GI-Souvenir_1_29

Which one is correct? Or were they interchangeable?

Staying busy with the two builds, which are coincidentally at about the same stage.  While I wait for the interior color paint for the Hien to arrive, I was able to finish the Revi 16B gun sight, which was provided as part of the Eagle Editions cockpit.  I added my own reflector glass, tinting one with Tamiya Smoke and painting the edges of the other with clear green/blue.
IMG-2357.jpg

IMG-2358.jpg

The main components of the cockpit have been painted as well. Nothing added... just careful detail painting of the resin pieces.
IMG-2355.jpg

These pieces were then scuffed up a bit by drybrushing Testors Silver in strategic areas.  A dark pastel wash to highlight some of the recessed detail and then a flat coat to seal it off.
IMG-2360.jpg

IMG-2361.jpg

IMG-2362.jpg

16 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Staying busy with the two builds, which are coincidentally at about the same stage.  While I wait for the interior color paint for the Hien to arrive, I was able to finish the Revi 16B gun sight, which was provided as part of the Eagle Editions cockpit.  I added my own reflector glass, tinting one with Tamiya Smoke and painting the edges of the other with clear green/blue.
IMG-2357.jpg

IMG-2358.jpg

The main components of the cockpit have been painted as well. Nothing added... just careful detail painting of the resin pieces.
IMG-2355.jpg

These pieces were then scuffed up a bit by drybrushing Testors Silver in strategic areas.  A dark pastel wash to highlight some of the recessed detail and then a flat coat to seal it off.
IMG-2360.jpg

IMG-2361.jpg

IMG-2362.jpg

excellent painting and presentation John!

that revi gunsight...just perfect

Spyros

Thanks guys!

More views of the cockpit with some additional components that have been painted such as the seat, control stick and foot pedals.
IMG-2369.jpg

IMG-2371.jpg

IMG-2367.jpg

IMG-2368.jpg

I received a couple of additional sets of Luftwaffe instrument panel decals by Airscale so I finished up the instrument panels.  Here is the main instrument panel fresh after applying the punched decals and soaking in Microsol.
IMG-2372.jpg

Since the resin instrument bevels are deep enough to accommodate this, I like to punch out discs of clear acetate to place over each instrument.
IMG-2373.jpg

I even did this for the lower instrument panel with the instrument dials as small as 1.0mm
IMG-2376.jpg

The instrument panels are done!
IMG-2377.jpg

IMG-2379.jpg

The cockpit tub and sidewalls have been given additional weathering treatment.  I applied a brown pastel wash over a flat finish to purposefully leave some stains.  Similar to working with oils except I don't have to wait hours for it to dry.
IMG-2380.jpg

IMG-2381.jpg

6 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks guys!

More views of the cockpit with some additional components that have been painted such as the seat, control stick and foot pedals.
IMG-2369.jpg

IMG-2371.jpg

IMG-2367.jpg

IMG-2368.jpg

I received a couple of additional sets of Luftwaffe instrument panel decals by Airscale so I finished up the instrument panels.  Here is the main instrument panel fresh after applying the punched decals and soaking in Microsol.
IMG-2372.jpg

Since the resin instrument bevels are deep enough to accommodate this, I like to punch out discs of clear acetate to place over each instrument.
IMG-2373.jpg

I even did this for the lower instrument panel with the instrument dials as small as 1.0mm
IMG-2376.jpg

The instrument panels are done!
IMG-2377.jpg

IMG-2379.jpg

The cockpit tub and sidewalls have been given additional weathering treatment.  I applied a brown pastel wash over a flat finish to purposefully leave some stains.  Similar to working with oils except I don't have to wait hours for it to dry.
IMG-2380.jpg

IMG-2381.jpg

Looks great, coming together nicely.