Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Late "Brown 4"

Thunnus

On 5/23/2022 at 8:26 PM, adameliclem said:

I didn’t know which werknummer it might be, John, just that it was the partial remains of one of several Geschwaderstab planes of JG6, derelict at Frankfurt. The shots are apparently from 1946.

I’d really love to know who the photographer was, because they’re incredible  shots. They had a great eye. The low angle shots are almost unreal. If you know who the woman or man was who took them, I’d love to know.

Here’s the nearly complete wrecked Dora found nearby on the field, documented by other photographers but not nearly this professionally.

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-Geschwaderstab-JG6-a

Sorry for thread drift, but they are amazing shots and I’d love to know who took them, and I hope they stuck with photography. A lot to look at and real gifts to people like us. Rock on.

Adam

Stunning photos. Wow!

Guest Vincent
On 5/24/2022 at 3:26 AM, adameliclem said:

I didn’t know which werknummer it might be, John, just that it was the partial remains of one of several Geschwaderstab planes of JG6, derelict at Frankfurt. The shots are apparently from 1946.

Shows the plywood molded fincap with antenna wire quite well, nice !

Quite strange that the MG131 are still in place in 1946

Edited by Vincent

45 minutes ago, Vincent said:

Shows the plywood molded fincap with antenna wire quite well, nice !

Quite strange that the MG131 are still in place in 1946

Hi Vincent,

Good observation about those guns. It looks like the aircraft was partially burned: big hole where the tank beneath the cockpit used to be, adjacent wing root fairings disintegrated, and the windscreen and canopy glazing gone. Fire in the center fuselage would also explain why most of the fuselage paint is gone but the wing and power egg finish is mostly intact. If the fire burned hot enough into the upper gun bay, the MGs might have been put beyond use by the flames. Just a guess.

Cheers,

Adam

On 5/24/2022 at 8:26 AM, adameliclem said:

I’d really love to know who the photographer was, because they’re incredible  shots. They had a great eye. The low angle shots are almost unreal. If you know who the woman or man was who took them, I’d love to know.

Here’s the nearly complete wrecked Dora found nearby on the field, documented by other photographers but not nearly this professionally.

Sorry for thread drift, but they are amazing shots and I’d love to know who took them, and I hope they stuck with photography. A lot to look at and real gifts to people like us. Rock on.

Adam

It's not my intention to highjack this built thread but there are a number of extra photos and a profile documented for this machine in JaPo's Fw 190D camouflage & markings Part II on the pages 334 - 337.  According to the authors it belongs the second series Fieseler W.Nr. 600xxx.

Stefan 

Thanks guys!

I've gone through a few iterations of heavy sanding on the fuselage sides, each time cleaning the sanding dust off at the kitchen sink, taping the fuselage together and dry-fitting the cockpit tub into place.  The cockpit tub itself is being temporarily held together using masking tape. Have you guys ever noticed that the yellow Tamiya tape doesn't stick well to resin?
IMG-2051.jpg

The inside of the instrument panel hood is nicely detailed but you won't get to see much of it once it is installed.
IMG-2050.jpg

I'm very close to having the fuselage sides thin enough to accommodate the resin cockpit tub without having to forced the fuselage sides closed. Taking into account the thickness of the masking tape, I'm probably just about there.
IMG-2042.jpg

IMG-2043.jpg

Checking to see if the instrument panel hood fits ok. Forget my previous work on the armor decking behind the seat.  For some reason, I forgot that it does NOT seat on the original rails on the fuselage but within the resin rails, which are spaced narrower.  After using this resin set twice before, that I would remember this. I pulled the armor decking from a second cockpit set and used the kit hatch on it.  I'll have to salvage the erroneously modified deck later.
IMG-2044.jpg

IMG-2045.jpg

With the windscreen and canopy in place.
IMG-2046.jpg

IMG-2049.jpg

I am toying with the idea of posing the canopy open on this build.
IMG-2047.jpg

Here is the Eagle Editions resin tail wheel.  All of the parts have been removed from the casting blocks. Unfortunately, the wrong type of tire was included in my set.  It will be corrected soon, thanks to Judy at Eagle Editions.
IMG-2039.jpg

The locating ribs on the inner surface of the tail halves need to be removed.  Also, the edges of the tail wheel opening can be thinned down.
IMG-2062.jpg

IMG-2073.jpg

IMG-2074.jpg

3 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Here is the Eagle Editions resin tail wheel.  All of the parts have been removed from the casting blocks. Unfortunately, the wrong type of tire was included in my set.  It will be corrected soon, thanks to Judy at Eagle Editions.
IMG-2039.jpg

The locating ribs on the inner surface of the tail halves need to be removed.  Also, the edges of the tail wheel opening can be thinned down.
IMG-2062.jpg

IMG-2073.jpg

IMG-2074.jpg

hi John,  just wonderful work

i have a question about what you mentioned ..

i have two sets of the Eagle Editions D9 tail wheel, and both have the same type of tire as yours. Is not the right one or is not right for this specific aircraft?

9 hours ago, Scale32 said:

Great detail on the EE tail wheel assembly but got to wonder how strong it actually is.... good tip on thinning the opening. 

Cheers Bevan 

Thanks Bevan!  There is an additional support strut that gives the assembly additional strength.  I usually modify the parts with brass tubing to make assembly easier/stronger as you will see.

8 hours ago, duke_ said:

hi John,  just wonderful work

i have a question about what you mentioned ..

i have two sets of the Eagle Editions D9 tail wheel, and both have the same type of tire as yours. Is not the right one or is not right for this specific aircraft?

Hi Spyros... Eagle Editions sells two tail wheel assemblies that could be appropriate for the D-9.

EE# 52-32 190A Tail Wheel

ep52-32tailwheel-assy-a_1.gif

EE # 44-32 190 D-9 Tail Wheel

dora_tail_wheel__4f7c90e747e94_1.gif

The only difference between the two sets is the tire.  44-32 should have the balloon-style tire applicable to most D-9s and 52-32 has a different tire that is suitable for 190A's and early D-9's.  You should also check the "L"  shaped base part.  It should have TWO small posts on the short side connect to the support strut.  See the photo below from a older D-9 build in 2018. Mine was missing one of those posts.

IMG-3192.jpg

Continuing on with the tail wheel assembly... the Ta152H tail is slightly different from the D-9.  The tail wheel assembly will definitely work but some minor adjustments need to be made to the L-shaped base part like chamfering the corner to accommodate the horizontal tail plane tab and thinning the aft end.
IMG-2081.jpg

To make the connections more solid and to ease the construction process, I usually modify the kit parts with brass tubing.  A very fine brass tube is used to make an axle for the tail wheel.  This will allow attachment of the wheel at the end of the build and the flat spot can be dialed in exactly as well. A larger diameter brass tube is used to help positively connect the tail wheel yoke to the strut.
IMG-2082.jpg

Like the kit part, the EE tail wheel's unmodified position is very extended.  Too much so for my tastes, based on photos of aircraft in service.
IMG-2075.jpg

This height is easily adjusted by simply shortening the oleo.
IMG-2084.jpg

No thinning of the walls was necessary to accommodate the tail wheel unit into the Ta152H tail.
IMG-2085.jpg

IMG-2086.jpg

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks Bevan!  There is an additional support strut that gives the assembly additional strength.  I usually modify the parts with brass tubing to make assembly easier/stronger as you will see.

Hi Spyros... Eagle Editions sells two tail wheel assemblies that could be appropriate for the D-9.

EE# 52-32 190A Tail Wheel

ep52-32tailwheel-assy-a_1.gif

EE # 44-32 190 D-9 Tail Wheel

dora_tail_wheel__4f7c90e747e94_1.gif

The only difference between the two sets is the tire.  44-32 should have the balloon-style tire applicable to most D-9s and 52-32 has a different tire that is suitable for 190A's and early D-9's.  You should also check the "L"  shaped base part.  It should have TWO small posts on the short side connect to the support strut.  See the photo below from a older D-9 build in 2018. Mine was missing one of those posts.

IMG-3192.jpg

just checked again .. i have two 44-32 with the ballon style tire, so ...i am good!

thank you John for taking the time to reply!

Not really doing much on the Dora during the Tempest painting stage so these pics will look eerily similar to my last update.  Did some more fuselage thinning and washed the parts with a toothbrush and dish soap to get rid as much of the pastel wash as I could.
IMG-2161.jpg

Despite the little niggling issues here and there, the Eagle Editions cockpit is nicely detailed and should look the part after painting.  The instrument panel bevels are crisply cast and they will be populated with Airscale instrument decals since Eagle Editions does not supply any. You can glimpse the detail provided in the compartment behind the pilot seat.  This area could be viewed if one were to pose the hatch on the starboard side open.  I'm gonna leave it closed and not spend too much time painting back there.
IMG-2162.jpg

IMG-2163.jpg

I feel pretty good about the fit of the cockpit into the fuselage so once I start this build up again, I can work on assembling the cockpit components and painting.  
IMG-2164.jpg

IMG-2166.jpg

Another preliminary check of the windshield and canopy fit... no issues here.
IMG-2167.jpg

Thanks Bevan!  Cockpit painting is coming up but it'll probably wait until I'm further along in the painting process on the Tempest build.

But here is a very minor update on the Dora... I got the replacement tail wheel from Eagle Editions. You can see the difference in tire styles.
IMG-2186.jpg

The photoetch foot pedals have been folded up and mounted.  I cut off the very thin straps and replaced them with a little wider strip of thin brass sheeting.
IMG-2188.jpg

The Eagle Edition resin set comes with a PE/resin replacement for the canopy crank wheel.
IMG-2189.jpg

Instead of gluing the tail assembly, as a whole, into the fuselage, I thought it would make for a better joint if the tail was attached to the fuselage while the fuselage is still separated.  Fit was very good and no putty was required... just some sanding, re-scribing and riveting.
IMG-2229.jpg

IMG-2228.jpg