Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Late "Brown 4"

Thunnus

2 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Are you going to add tiny little fabric wrinkles to the prop blades? I wouldn’t put it past you.

You’ve probably seen these images already but, if not, there’s some really nice detail in them, and I love how completely over it she looks. 

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-Geschwaderstab-JG6-a

Always fun and educational to watch you do your thing.

Adam

Wow... what a great set of pics!  No I have not seen those and they do have an incredible amount of detail in them.  It looks like WNr. 210194.

1 hour ago, fab said:

Amazing shoots...

Fab

Thanks you Fab!

58 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

Looking excellent, John. I have a brace of those Henri Dahne props for my future builds.  They are beautiful.  

Thanks Bill!  I have a small collection of them as well!  Lovely products!

The detail on the HD prop is mostly hidden by the spinner.  And since there is not enough friction to hold the spinner in place, gluing the spinner on and hiding all of that detail might seem unavoidable.  However, where there is a will, there is usually a way and I found a neat way to make the spinner removable using tiny neodymium magnets. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes with the smaller sizes having a number of potential uses in modeling.  The ones I have are 3mm (1/8") in diameter and 1mm thick... quite tiny but still with a surprising amount of magnetic strength.

This is the prop hub.  Since there was no central cannon firing through the spinner like many other Luftwaffe fighters, this modification is much simpler.
IMG-2000.jpg

After removing the raised bolt detail in the middle, I gouged out a 3mm opening in the hub to accommodate the magnet using a drill bit turned by hand.
IMG-2001.jpg

A magnet is placed in the recess and enclosed into place with black CA glue. The second magnet will be glued into the spinner.
IMG-2002.jpg

The raised detail is replaced with discs punched from sheet plastic.
IMG-2003.jpg

Make sure you get the magnet within the spinner in the correct orientation or it will have the opposite effect and repel any attempt at connection. I used a third magnet taped to the outside tip of the spinner to make placement easy... just placed a drop of CA glue on the inside and threw the magnet in there and it lined up perfectly.
IMG-2005.jpg

The hub has been coated in primer and temporarily attached to the rest of the assembly including the backplate.
IMG-2009.jpg

Now the spinner simply clicks into place and can be removed at any time! The small magnets have enough force to seat the spinner onto the backplate without any visible gaps.
IMG-2010.jpg

IMG-2011.jpg

19 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Wow... what a great set of pics!  No I have not seen those and they do have an incredible amount of detail in them.  It looks like WNr. 210194.

Thanks you Fab!

Thanks Bill!  I have a small collection of them as well!  Lovely products!

The detail on the HD prop is mostly hidden by the spinner.  And since there is not enough friction to hold the spinner in place, gluing the spinner on and hiding all of that detail might seem unavoidable.  However, where there is a will, there is usually a way and I found a neat way to make the spinner removable using tiny neodymium magnets. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes with the smaller sizes having a number of potential uses in modeling.  The ones I have are 3mm (1/8") in diameter and 1mm thick... quite tiny but still with a surprising amount of magnetic strength.

This is the prop hub.  Since there was no central cannon firing through the spinner like many other Luftwaffe fighters, this modification is much simpler.
IMG-2000.jpg

After removing the raised bolt detail in the middle, I gouged out a 3mm opening in the hub to accommodate the magnet using a drill bit turned by hand.
IMG-2001.jpg

A magnet is placed in the recess and enclosed into place with black CA glue. The second magnet will be glued into the spinner.
IMG-2002.jpg

The raised detail is replaced with discs punched from sheet plastic.
IMG-2003.jpg

Make sure you get the magnet within the spinner in the correct orientation or it will have the opposite effect and repel any attempt at connection. I used a third magnet taped to the outside tip of the spinner to make placement easy... just placed a drop of CA glue on the inside and threw the magnet in there and it lined up perfectly.
IMG-2005.jpg

The hub has been coated in primer and temporarily attached to the rest of the assembly including the backplate.
IMG-2009.jpg

Now the spinner simply clicks into place and can be removed at any time! The small magnets have enough force to seat the spinner onto the backplate without any visible gaps.
IMG-2010.jpg

IMG-2011.jpg

EXCELLENT problem solving.  I feel like I am going to school on your dime here, but I will take any advantage I can get in this hobby. I wondered if this would work.  

I can't wait to see this in paint. 

I didn’t know which werknummer it might be, John, just that it was the partial remains of one of several Geschwaderstab planes of JG6, derelict at Frankfurt. The shots are apparently from 1946.

I’d really love to know who the photographer was, because they’re incredible  shots. They had a great eye. The low angle shots are almost unreal. If you know who the woman or man was who took them, I’d love to know.

Here’s the nearly complete wrecked Dora found nearby on the field, documented by other photographers but not nearly this professionally.

Sorry for thread drift, but they are amazing shots and I’d love to know who took them, and I hope they stuck with photography. A lot to look at and real gifts to people like us. Rock on.

Adam

Edited by adameliclem

That photographer knew his/her stuff. Composition, exposure, filtration, developing and printing all indicate a professional level of training and experience. He/she most likely was a professional before the war.  Beautiful work.

Margaret Bourke-White springs to mind.

Cheers,

Damian

1 hour ago, D.B. Andrus said:

That photographer knew his/her stuff. Composition, exposure, filtration, developing and printing all indicate a professional level of training and experience. He/she most likely was a professional before the war.  Beautiful work.

Margaret Bourke-White springs to mind.

You’re right about the Bourke-White feel. She did spend time in post-war Germany. I wondered if the photographer was a colleague or familiar of the woman pictured, maybe someone affiliated with the transport or ferry command. 

46 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Wow. I would have thought those pictures came from last week, not 1945. Absolutely incredible photography for back then, and to still look that clear today.

Yes, I’d love to see physical prints of them. Found online and bookmarked a while ago, it was John’s rivet details on his build that reminded me of them.

Adam

Edited by adameliclem

Thanks guys!  Those photos of the wrecked D-9's are incredibly good!  Thank you for posting those!

The trimming on the inside surfaces of the fuselage to accommodate the resin cockpit has begun by removing the raised stuff first.
IMG-2012.jpg

IMG-2013.jpg

There will be a short pause here because the thinning process is a bit tedious and I sometimes procrastinate when I get to these points in the build.  Also, I am starting on the paint process on the Tempest so this is a good transition to jump over to that build for now.