I hope Meng releases more 1/24 WWI kits to go along with the Dr.1

oyoy5

12 hours ago, DonH said:

I suspect this is a similar situation to the Border Models Lancaster. They acquired the tooling for a price and released the kit. This is a long way from the investment required to design and develop a completely new kit (or so I am led to believe).

So, don't hold your breath.

The WNW Lanc project was acquired in an incomplete state - incomplete tooling and design -  and required further R&D work by Border to make it ready for release. The 1/24th WNW fighter projects acquired by Meng were in a less-advanced state and required more in-house design work by Meng. The road to finished kits wasn’t smooth or cheap.

If Meng’s kits sell well, they could certainly expand the range on their own. They don’t need other authors to start projects for them. They (like Border) are probably tired of seeing their own specific labors credited to WNW. For that reason alone, they might give new 1/24th WWI subjects a permanent rest. That would be too bad, because Meng’s 1/24th Dr1 is a real beauty. 

Cheers,

Adam

23 hours ago, oyoy5 said:

I hope their sales are going well and the release a D.VII in 1/24

I think it remains a long shot but it could happen, you never know.

I was extremely excited over Hasegawa's 1/16 "skeleton" kit of the Sopwith Camel.

That came out in 2013.  At the time, I commented that I hope we see more in a new series of kits, as I love that "skeleton" look particularly for WWI aircraft.

Here it is 9 years later and we never got a second, and I doubt we'll see another one.  We probably would have seen it by now.

Stuff of this type is just too "out there" for manufacturers to take a chance on.

Instead, we'll get 10 million Tiger tank kits, Spitfires, Yamato battleships, and so on.

It never changes.

30 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

I was extremely excited over Hasegawa's 1/16 "skeleton" kit of the Sopwith Camel.

That came out in 2013.  At the time, I commented that I hope we see more in a new series of kits, as I love that "skeleton" look particularly for WWI aircraft.

Here it is 9 years later and we never got a second, and I doubt we'll see another one.  We probably would have seen it by now.

Well, we did get more skeletal superkits, but not by Hasegawa. Artesania Latina of Spain has produced a Bf-109G and Fokker Dr.1 in 1/16th, as well as a Camel of their own. Cool stuff.

Cheers,

Adam

On 5/16/2022 at 4:08 AM, adameliclem said:

The WNW Lanc project was acquired in an incomplete state - incomplete tooling and design -  and required further R&D work by Border to make it ready for release. The 1/24th WNW fighter projects acquired by Meng were in a less-advanced state and required more in-house design work by Meng. The road to finished kits wasn’t smooth or cheap

They (like Border) are probably tired of seeing their own specific labors credited to WNW. For that reason alone

Are you so sure about this? I would like to know where you got your information on what Meng had to do... They only tooled a clone of the 32nd engine sprue. They didn't correct or make any fine tuning that the kit required. 

Edited by Dave J

If you want to know precisely what was or was not done when WnW stopped working on the two Fokker projects, simply get the last Windsock Dr.I special issue. It is co-authored by Richard Alexander who explains in detail all the design changes and the final modifications made or not made by Meng. No assumption, just basic facts that clearly show that very limited fine-tuning was still foreseen (such as lengthening the cooling time before removing the wing sprue from the casting machine, filling a small line in the rudder and two or three similar trivial things). It is also interesting to see that some slight changes further made by Meng are actually useless and/or confusing!