removal of paint

oldjohn

If you wish to remove all paint without too much damage to the plastiic, i would suggest leaving it overnight in a closed container in a puddle of Dettol (alos brushing the Dettol on all parts).  The following day rinse off all paint with running water & brush.

Been doing this on those figurines where I mess up....

Last time a paint job went bad, i used Mr. Levelling Thinner and paper towels to remove the paint, did a great job. Didn't soak the build, just put some on a paper towel and wiped the paint away. This made the stripper easier to control, so the wheelwells and pit escaped undamaged.

Don

14 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Another vote for Mr. Color Thinner. Just be aware that whatever method you use, it will be messy!

Kev

Also, use in well ventilated area. Have to mention, strips lacquer paints but doesn't harm the plastic.

Don

ive used spray oven cleaner successfully many times, i only use laquer and enamel paint , so might not work if you have acrylic 

spay on in the kitchen sink, wear gloves, brush with old toothbrush , rince, repeat where necessary 

Edited by Neo

Another vote for Me Color lacquer thinner. I've used it many times to strip paint even on clear parts without any damage to the  plastic. 

Here's when I had to strip my Tamiya Mossie.

IMG_20160915_235035-600x450.jpg

And as Don mentioned, definitely have good ventilation when you do. 

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Mr levelling thinner for stripping paint well many times, the retarder in it helps I think. I did try Mr Rapid thinner and this started attacking the plastic on the Tamiya F-16 I was working on so I would not recommend that type! I guess it is a few notches hotter. 

Edited by Marine104

I used oven cleaner on a 109 k4 that had eaglecals decals on it. The most stubborn areas were where the main markings were, it basically wouldn't remove them...... in the bin she went!

Cheers Bevan 

• 2 weeks later...

Brake fluid Dot 4. I've used it on brandnew diecast and resin models. Works great if you have no idea what type of paint was used.

The parts need to soak for a few days, but it safely removes multiple layers of paint in 1 go.

• 2 weeks later...

If possible, put the entire model in a plastic "food leftover" container with a sealable lid.  Spray Oven cleaner on it (the good old fashioned kind with LYE....the more environmentally friendly stuff will NOT work).

Give it a good blast and seal the lid.  The fumes are what really do the job.  Leave it along for a few days, and see how its coming along.  If the paint isn't ready to almost wash off the plastic with hot water, give it another blast.

You might have to lightly scrub a few problem areas with an old toothbrush where the paint just won't come off.  

I've tried 10 million different solutions and this is what works best for me.