A question about my Future

ScottsGT

Got an old bottle from probably 15 years ago or longer.  It’s a little cloudy looking now.  I want to dip a resin canopy on a Fisher Cougar I’ve just started. Should I go search for a new bottle that I can take to the grave with me? Or will this one be fine? 

Also, should I paint the canopy framework before dipping or after?  I’ve never dipped a canopy and since this one is irreplaceable, I’ve got to get it right the first time.  Finish on the Cougar will be a gloss blue anyway. 

Great thing about dipping in Future is that you can remove it with Ammonia based glass cleaner like Windex.  I'd be willing to try the old bottle, knowing that you can strip it if needed.  And I'd dip it prior to painting, that way if you mess up the paint, the entire assembly can be stripped and reattempted.

-Peter

• 1 month later...

I've had a number of instances where I've had to strip Future, then re-dip. I dunk it in household ammonia for a couple of seconds, then rinse well. I'd give the old bottle a go before I bought new stuff. BTW, what does a bottle of Future look like these days?

6 hours ago, Bill_S said:

I've had a number of instances where I've had to strip Future, then re-dip. I dunk it in household ammonia for a couple of seconds, then rinse well. I'd give the old bottle a go before I bought new stuff. BTW, what does a bottle of Future look like these days?

In the states, it looks like this now:

71GepJa8jrL._AC_SL1500___67931.163434873

My UK version (Klear) was getting a bit dodgy, my dipping efforts were not coming out very well, so I took a chance and thinned it with water and the magic effect was restored.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear, Scott.  I have two bottles, both have to be 20+ years old.  One I've been pulling from, the other basically unopened.  A little cloudy, but still works like a charm.  Posting pics of your Cougar?  :popcorn: