ZM Henschel Hs.129B-3 pics

Kagemusha

23 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

You could always buy the additional runner and decal sheet..?

Dont really need the decals, i would probably do mask. but not a bad idea about the runner, if they sell it

I guess ZM gave up on the MK-103 version, even though it was listed in the original info on the model versions of the plane.  In fact it was supposed to be available with the first kit, (it was supposed to have both the MK-101 and MK103 cannons).  I base this on the original screen prints I have from ZM's website when they first showed the HS-129     

It seems that they originally planned to release a MK-103 version as the upgrade set for the cannon's (sold separately) has upgrades for both the MK101 and MK103. 

Wasn't the MK103 version by far the most common version, as the use of the MK-101 quickly showed it did not have enough muzzle velocity to penetrate Russian tanks.  The 75mm gun version (which seems to be the version most people want) from what I have read was not made in very many copies, around 23 in total (?). 

Simple enough to place a MK-103 full gun in the current kit.  MDC has a nice MK-103, as does ZM (from the HE-219 upgrade sets.  But not sure if the actual gun mount, and gondula were the same.  Also the MK-103 had a barrel stabilizer external to the gun housing, which the MK-101 version did not have. 

Paul 

43 minutes ago, Paul2660 said:

I guess ZM gave up on the MK-103 version, even though it was listed in the original info on the model versions of the plane.  In fact it was supposed to be available with the first kit, (it was supposed to have both the MK-101 and MK103 cannons).  I base this on the original screen prints I have from ZM's website when they first showed the HS-129     

It seems that they originally planned to release a MK-103 version as the upgrade set for the cannon's (sold separately) has upgrades for both the MK101 and MK103. 

Wasn't the MK103 version by far the most common version, as the use of the MK-101 quickly showed it did not have enough muzzle velocity to penetrate Russian tanks.  The 75mm gun version (which seems to be the version most people want) from what I have read was not made in very many copies, around 23 in total (?). 

Simple enough to place a MK-103 full gun in the current kit.  MDC has a nice MK-103, as does ZM (from the HE-219 upgrade sets.  But not sure if the actual gun mount, and gondula were the same.  Also the MK-103 had a barrel stabilizer external to the gun housing, which the MK-101 version did not have. 

Paul 

The MK 103 version was not abandoned, it will be issued later. There was never any plan to issue a kit with both Mk 101 and MK 103 in one box, there must have been some confusing wording on that announcement that led some to conclude that there will be a kit with multiple gun types. As explained in other threads, COVID slowed down a lot of releases from ZM. One must keep in mind that the Hs 129 was officially launched in November 2019 in Telford. Three months later the world was shut down and Japan is still not fully back to normal. Also, a lot of the ZM products are manufactured in China, and, also, China is not fully back to normal. Were it not for COVID, all versions of the Hs 129 should have been issued by now. In as far as I know, three more versions will be issued, "B-3" (the subject of this thread), "B-2 with Mk 103" and "B-1". 

HTH 

Radu 

Thanks for the clarification. I wish I still had the screen prints from the zm website. They clearly showed two release paths. One had both the 103 and 101 in what seemed as one kit with either option.  They other showed only the 7.5cm cannon. I can’t remember if they showed the B1 also. 

Glad to see it’s still (MK-103) in the plans. 

Paul

sws  Hs 129 Zoukei Mura (11)

Found the page I was referring to.  I read this as two kits were to be released.  First kit would have options 1,2,3 and 2nd would have option 4. 

Note the total parts at the top of each.  It very clearly states option B2, (you can build 1 of three different armament options).  B3 is the 75mm gun. 

Not trying to hurt ZM or anyone associated with them.  Just wanted to point this out.  This is from their website. SWS.  I feel it would have been much simpler to offer the MK-103 version as a external upgrade as really all that was needed was the MK-103, and cover, possibly a different gunsight, and decals.  All of this type of stuff has been offered by ZM for other kits in the past as optional accessories.  

Paul 

25 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

B-2/RIII. Oh joy!   Thanks for sharing this.  :clap2:

???  That was the version that was already released.  The issue is that prior to the release of the kit, Z-M was saying the B-2 kit would cover three subvariants, instead of the one subvariant boxing the we ended up with.

1 hour ago, Paul2660 said:

sws  Hs 129 Zoukei Mura (11)

Found the page I was referring to.  I read this as two kits were to be released.  First kit would have options 1,2,3 and 2nd would have option 4. 

Note the total parts at the top of each.  It very clearly states option B2, (you can build 1 of three different armament options).  B3 is the 75mm gun. 

Not trying to hurt ZM or anyone associated with them.  Just wanted to point this out.  This is from their website. SWS.  I feel it would have been much simpler to offer the MK-103 version as a external upgrade as really all that was needed was the MK-103, and cover, possibly a different gunsight, and decals.  All of this type of stuff has been offered by ZM for other kits in the past as optional accessories.  

Paul 

Hi Paul ...

I remember these pages ... released at the same time as the Ki-45 ... and going by the release chart there, I would tend to agree with you ... I thought we were getting a B-2 kit (with options) and then a B-3 ... Just as we were to get a Ki-45 "short nose" and a "long nose" (both with options) - which actually eventuated ... In fact here are the original 2 plates from the Old Man Blog No.97 ...

NVjU9u3.jpg   ErkahOJ.jpg

As you can see - the original box art designs at the top don't specifically show variant numbers yet ... but from the way the design flow charts read, each coloured 'area' seems to represent one boxing ... The B-3 kit being the only one without 'in kit' options ... So clearly, there WAS a plan to issue a kit with both the Mk.101 and the Mk.103 (and bombs!) at some point. Following Radu's point - we should be seeing 6 boxings of the Ki-45!!! (a little ambitious, I think - considering ALL options listed in the tile are held inside the 2 boxings we have currently). Certainly, typical previous ZM philosophy suggests releasing one particular variant per boxing - with different sub-variant or weapon load out options. The Do.335, Ho.229, P.51 and Douglas A-1 are examples of this.

Obviously during production SOMETHING has changed. Whether the other 'parts' of the B-2 were not complete in their design to final tooling stage when the B-2 was scheduled for release - or the company just figured it would make more money by releasing separate boxings, who can say? - except for the company! ... However - conspicuous in its absence from the above tile - is the B-1 ...

When the Fw-190 'series' was first announced, the company indicated that they were to be taking two separate routes in design ... an SWS standard format, along with the introduction of a 'Basic' series - select variants would be given the full SWS detail, while others would have a significant parts count reduction ... and although there has been no official announcement of a deviation from this idea, it hasn't been at the forefront of 'mentions' in more recent updates ... I wonder if they've changed their minds on this idea? I like the concept formula that ZM have had since market introduction and I think that fiddling around with a point of difference that has won you a solid fan-base is not the best option ... I understand its not everyones cup of tea - but the overwhelming positive reviews and sales figures would suggest that they're on the right track.

Rog :)

21 minutes ago, Radub said:

Out of curiosity, WHY would anyone want a model with BOTH cannons? You can only use one. It only makes sense to issue separate kits with separate weapons, which is the way that every other manufacturer did it. 

Radu 

Very frankly Radu your comment is somewhat far fetched! There are hundreds of examples of kits with optional parts! The ZM Ki-45 kit being just one of those examples!

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Very frankly Radu your comment is somewhat far fetched! There are hundreds of examples of kits with optional parts! The ZM Ki-45 kit being just one of those examples!

Maybe "multiple options in one kit" makes sense when all parts are on common runners. In the Hs 129 kit, the various cannons are on separate runners, one separate runner for the MK 101, one separate runner for MK 103 and one separate runner for BK 7,5. You only need one runner for each model. Why would anyone want to have an extra runner that they cannot possibly need and will only end up in the bin? 

Radu

39 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed ...

I see nothing wrong with Issuing a straight "B2" kit with variant / weapon options on one or 2 separate sprues ... You go buy a kit ... and then decide which variant you wish to build ... If you want to build all three - buy 3 kits ... seems like a straight forward option to me ... Again - following the other logic we are expecting 6 separate Ki-45 kits all with separate decal options, instructions and weapons load out?? - I strongly doubt it.

I haven't looked through my Hs.129 kit in detail yet - but I'm guessing the decision was made (If, in fact, it has been?!?!) - after the initial boxing designations shown in that Old Man Blog ... Perhaps the B-2 bomb package will be boxed as an option alongside the variant with the MK.103?? ...

I thought the story was that ... The B-1 was the first production model with bombs ... ... and then the MK.101 was introduced as one of the Rüstsatz options ... 50 or so of the B1's made it into frontline combat before the B-2 arrived on the scene with a rationalisation of the Rüstsatz options, a summary of all modifications and upgrades to that point - one being the MK.103 (because it produced a higher rate of fire while being more reliable) ... but I'm confused on the variations illustrated though anyway, because the RIII (or R3) package was supposed to be a BK3.7 upgrade on the 30mm package :huh: ...

Rog :) ...