ZM Henschel Hs.129B-3 pics

Kagemusha

3 hours ago, nmayhew said:

...the fact that aftermarket didn’t pick up the slack tells you it’s not seen as a ‘seller’...

Well, the first Hs 129 boxing might have been a better seller if there had been more decal options included in the first place. 

Vicious cycle of "stupid is as stupid does". 

D

I think it’s good that ZM honored expectations and is releasing this Henschel variant. Given everything else they’re working on, it would have been understandable if they’d put it on indefinite hold, had the first release been a poor-seller. I’ve heard it sold well. It must have justified keeping the line going. I’m glad people are going to get what they hoped for.

Cheers,

Adam

I built the B2 version last year and I have to say it's a great kit.  I can see the appeal of the B3 version with it's bigger gun as from a modelling perspective, it's more interesting.  However, reading the history of the plane, the bigger gun added to the only added to the poor flying characteristics of the plane.  Only a handful were built before production was shut down in September 1944.  As I've already built an HS-129, I won't be getting another.

I'm much more interested in the FW-190 in the background.  Hopefully that gets released before years end as I don't have one in LSP.

Cheers,

Michael

Indeed, the lack of any Eastern front scheme in the first release was puzzling. It is a hard fact the Hs129 did not show tons of scheme variations but a Romanian one and one with a winter camo could have been easily added. This would have slightly increased the attractivity of what was already an excellent kit. Personally I did not care that much as I love the North Africa scheme and intended to get later the big gun version to have one Hs129 in winter scheme.

I can attest to the COVID delays emanating from Japan ... I'm told that practically all model manufacturers and retailers throughout Japan got a fair kick in the supply chain during the last 2 years ... Shipping in - or out - of the country has been a nightmare.

Hard to get Tamiya 1/32 at one point ... from within Japan!

It would have been a Herculean effort to get the G-14 to market by mid year this year ... ZM is to be commended!

Rog :)

6 hours ago, Radub said:

The ZM Hs 129 is far from a “poor seller”. The first run of the kit sold out and is relatively hard to find. The delay in issuing other versions was due to the multiple production and distribution issues caused by COVID.
Radu

I thought so. I wanted to buy an additional runner so I could build an engine on the stand that is included with the kit.  No go, no parts, and this was only two weeks after the release. 

17 hours ago, D Bellis said:

I just hope it has more than ONE decal option like the first kit idiotically did... 

D

For the Hs 129 B-3, it's going to be difficult to do more than one decal option that is historically supported. Only around 20 production aircraft were built, and just one of those (W.Nr 162052) is documented in three photographs after its capture by the Soviets at Tonndorf on 22 January 1945. However, in the photographs, the aircraft is very heavily covered with snow, making it impossible to see any markings.

The only other photographically documented option is W.Nr. 140494, Stkz. DO+XG, which was a test aircraft converted from a B-2. These are the markings shown in the built model, and are pretty much the only option that is not speculative.

Another B-2 test machine associated with B-3 development that is recorded photographically is W.Nr 141258. However, this aircraft did not have a real BK 7.5, but carried a wooden mock-up of the gun and its fairing for aerodynamic testing. 

6 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

By the way, does anybody know if the new release of Pegg's book has additional information about the B-3 operational use (I have the original release)?

Strictly regarding the operational use of the B-3, there isn't really much new in the revised edition. What is of interest are the addition of the three photographs of W.Nr 162052, and the revelation that the heavily retouched image of a supposedly operational B-3 in flight was actually a creation of Gert Heumann, based on the mirrored photograph of a standard B-2. 

While there is obviously quite a significant overlap between the 1997 and 2019 books, the new edition is significantly reworked, and although I do have the original 1997 book, I don't at all regret buying the new edition.

13 hours ago, pvanroy said:

While there is obviously quite a significant overlap between the 1997 and 2019 books, the new edition is significantly reworked, and although I do have the original 1997 book, I don't at all regret buying the new edition.

I like books as much as kits so thought I would look up this book as I don't know anything about the aircraft. Searched google and the first shopping advert for the book popped up with a price tag of £507.09 !!!!!  Stuff that, I will remain ignorant of said aircraft, that's about a weeks work of the gas bill :D