A-6 Intruder Questions

Going from memory here (mind you, never an Intruder guy but flew the Prowler, which had a lot of similarity concerning the systems).

The flaps and slats could not be extended with the wings folded. 

I think later A-6Es that had been given new wings later in life (like Desert Storm and the few years after before it retired), had electrically driven systems vice hydraulic so they could in fact do that.  But it's been awhile since I've looked at it, so don't quote me on that.

Bottom line is for an A-6A, no dropped flaps/slats with wings folded.

-Peter

• LSP_K2 changed the title to A-6 Intruder Questions

Agree with Peter and Gregg as well, looking at lots of photos for my build.

One thing I have noticed and intend to replicate on my A-6A build (in the WIP forum if you're interested) is that the spoilers/ailerons (spoilerons? I have no idea how they're called!) on the outer wings sometimes can be seen to hang down a bit as is visible on the first photo.

The only (small) drawback is that the Trumpeter kit only offers fully closed and fully opened, not a-little-bit-open so some modification may be needed.

Jeroen

5 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Agree with Peter and Gregg as well, looking at lots of photos for my build.

One thing I have noticed and intend to replicate on my A-6A build (in the WIP forum if you're interested) is that the spoilers/ailerons (spoilerons? I have no idea how they're called!) on the outer wings sometimes can be seen to hang down a bit as is visible on the first photo.

The only (small) drawback is that the Trumpeter kit only offers fully closed and fully opened, not a-little-bit-open so some modification may be needed.

Jeroen

Those were called "Flaperons." Acted somewhat like ailerons, popping up to kill lift on the wing to allow the a/c to roll. With weight on wheels, they both pop up to kill lift and act like speedbrakes.  It was a very Grumman and very 60s design.  And with wings folded they did tend to droop.

-Peter

• 1 month later...

Right-clicked and saved, although they forgot the dark panel accents at Grumman it seems!

I like this photo for showing both the amount of "droop", as well as a nice example of a used and lightly weathered, but not beaten-up looking aircraft which is how I intend to finish my VA-65 build :)

I'l save the other effects and weathering for my TPS A-6E :)