1/32 HK Lancaster Dambuster....with Additions

CraigH

Reachout for a bit of help please. I'm really sruggling as to the electronics layout for the MkIII both under the nav table and around the back of the pilot's seat. Any help for an early mkIII greatly appreciated 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, it's been a while since I last posted but, holiday on the Amalfi coast aside, I've been beavering away so this is liable to be a bit of a long one :sorry:

So, last time the main IP was almost done. I added some 24 tiny slivers of fuse wire to represent the switches top and left of the IP and dotted the tips with white to try and make them stand out a little from the black of the IP. Works to the naked eye but hardly at all to the camera so you'll have to take my word they're there. All the throttle and supercharger levers are fitted. The throttle ones' are a real bugger to get symmetrical but I finally managed it. Again, as they're so thin it's hard to get a good photo. The blck knobs on the end of each one were dipped in black gloss paint around 5 or 6 times to form the bulb of the lever. Airscale's IP is simply the best so many thanks to Peter for producing such a great product. I've still got to add the two extra dials that sit on the top as well as the extra altimeter only the 464s had. I've got a perfectly sized dial left over from my Hellcat build (not surprisingly from Airscales' IP for that plane too)so will fit all that when the IP is firmly in place and the canopy is ready to go on. Any earlier and it's a certainty it'll get knocked and hit the deck several times

NxEqodo.jpg

Update on the navigator's table. That's been extended and painted. I added back the lip around the edge with 0.5mm rod and painted the morse key on the RO side as well as adding a thin wire to allow me to attach it to the transmitter when the bulkhead is in place. On the navigator's side, the Gee will not be going in the kit position on the wall of the bulkhead to the navigator's left as on the early Lancasters, before H2S came along,  it sat to the right of the navigator on a little stand, as per this shot from the early Wingnut Wings Lancaster:

Z3f8DoAm.jpg

So, I've added a map pocket to add a little something to the bulkhead wall. I have seen such on archive photos. I've got a Bomber Command colour map of the Midlands area that I'll scale and fit in the pocket.

dxenbgP.jpg

The map here is a Bomber Command plotting map from 1943. The dividers are made for fuse wire and a bit of PE sprue, filed to size. The pencils are 0.5mm rod painted red and filed to a point. The lid of the pencil storage will fit later.

I've added a couple of cables to the transmitter receiver assembly and it's just waiting to be fitted atop the table. Then I can add various other connections such as the one to the antenna. Shame hardly any of this can be seen:BANGHEAD2:

yfnkepAm.jpg

Bit of work on the bulkhead that will eventually hold the Gee receiver. Scratching on the pilot's parachute holder and leatherizing of the holder for the sextant. Fire extinguisher standard red

6FoNKY0.jpg

The seat is finished. I went with armour plate up. First was the paint job. I've seen some with a black frame but also with cockpit green so that's what I went for.

Green leather seat and arms, lightly weathered to show more dents than stains and finally Airscales (I'm not on commission honest) seatbelt. Again I've seen the yellow dot on the head armour on the front or rear. Sprayed on as decals are always a bit garish.

ed7A3j9m.jpgWeCbo3zm.jpgTNOyA2wm.jpg

Next is dryfitting the pilot's plinth. All the measurements have been accurately scale from Peter's marvellous post detailing their build of a 1:1 cockpit of a Lancaster

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235077341-lancaster-b1-special-pd130/

If you look back on this post you'll see the HK idea of the pilots plinth was pretty pathetic. Chopped and changed and painted and marked out, this was the result

NeCzBsCm.jpgfQQxBGDm.jpgCxvCqfem.jpg

I've got to neaten up and stain the gaiter around the control column. The kit part just slots into the base with no gaiter or surround so I've scratch built both. The column was also too short so a bit has been added to the bottom to bring it up to size. It sat too far back for the new, accurate measurements so, again, it's been adjusted. Lastly, there's no brake lever on the kit part so it was a simple task to add one.

The resin2U details to the left are the trim adjustment gear Etc. I've just painted and shaded it really. All the Lancaster's controls were chains and cables so a bit of wire to scale takes care of the ones for the trim controls. The map is the midlands one from earlier. I've replaced the rudimentary pipe on the resin2u part and added some accurate pipework from both sides that passes under the plinth to the sidewall. To the front there's no forward "stop" for the column so that's been scratch built. Also added is the manual release for the upkeep bomb. It's the silver lever to the front of the trim assembly. I've popped a tint decal on the top which I guess says "don't pull!!". The story of the WAAF who accidentally did while a live upkeep sat in the bay is legend and caused the fastest evacuation known to man (or Woman) as the bomb hit the ground.

To the rear, I've replicated the pipework to the sidewall where, as far as I can make out, it joins the pipework carrying the chains for the ailerons and elevators aft.

Fitting it was a nightmare. Dry fitting gave me some clues.

AO1Iz3Om.jpgWJ7ZO55m.jpg

As we speak, the IP is fitted and set (another nightmare) and the plinth is in and getting 2 days to go completely off when I'll get some photos on. Then its just a job of fitting the rest and finishing up by doing the bomb aimers section and closing it all up.

GXJtQ2J.jpg

While all that's going on, I've put together the long centre section. None of this can be seen except where the crew door is which I'll detail later. It's all been accurately painted but not weathered.

As I just mentioned, the only bit showing is the crew entrance door, which will be open on this model. Prominent is the flare launcher so that's got a bit of attention. Some scratching, shading and labeling. The label isn't skewed BTW, the whole part sits at an angle so it'll be straight when attached.

OyVnITH.jpg

Well, that's it as I wait for the cockpit to well and truly set. Thanks for looking and comments, as ever, are appreciated.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:01 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Just in case it's not too late, Robert Mrozowski Model Design has a number of Lancaster items, including a replacement pilot's station:

https://www.robertmrozowski.com/

The website does state that production is currently halted, however.

Kev

I just found this build and will be following, taking notes and listening intently! I went to the robertmrozowski website, found he has 2 in stock and promptly placed my order! Thank you all for the heads up on what is available for this kit!

3 hours ago, chrish said:

I just found this build and will be following, taking notes and listening intently! I went to the robertmrozowski website, found he has 2 in stock and promptly placed my order! Thank you all for the heads up on what is available for this kit!

No probs. Thanks for following. I'll always update where I can