Bandai 1/48 Snowspeeder

LSP_Kevin

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great show Kev!  I love these kits and looks like this one is going together well despite any difficulties you had.

Thanks, Brian. The difficulties were all of my own making - including seemingly having lost the ability to lay down a decent gloss coat! But my aim with this build is to practise some weathering and end up with a decent shelf-sitter.

Kev

22 minutes ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Really enjoying your work on this one Kev!  I can see in the photos what you mean about the decals, they almost look a like non-slip texture coating until you enlarge the image then they look more like the print in a comic book illustration. 

Thanks, Rockie. I'm hoping the decals will blend in better with some weathering and clear coats, but I think they'll look OK at normal viewing distances anyway. We'll find out soon enough, I guess!

Kev

1 minute ago, mustang1989 said:

Gloss coats can be tricky at times depending on temperature and humidity levels. This is coming along very nicely Kevin!! 

I'm just really out of practise, and seem to have reverted to spraying it on like a fire hose! So my panel lines are all a bit pillowy now. And of course, this just attracts every hair and speck of dust in the room. It doesn't help that my trusty Iwata HP-C Plus is playing up at the moment, so I've switched to my standby H&S Evolution airbrush, which has a larger needle/nozzle combination, and I have far less control with it. It's amazing what flat coats and weathering can hide, though! Let's hope I don't screw that up, too...

Kev

More out-of-practise modelling from me, as I continue to make mincemeat of the world's easiest build! The wee Snowspeeder has just received a panel line wash:

0hfrC4.jpg

ozYxOr.jpg

FYeIM4.jpg

ieUfRz.jpg

This is actually the second attempt at the panel line wash, as my first attempt with oils (my usual approach) all but wiped right off completely during clean up. I had to fall back to some AK Interactive Panel Liner, and even then, it's still pretty patchy, and I'm far from completely happy with it. Even so, I think it'll be fine as the basis for further weathering. I must remember to paint that panel in the nose, however!

Kev

I've come to suspect that my difficulties with the initial oil wash were partly down to thinning it with Tamiya X-20 enamel thinner - something I've never done before. The rest of the issue was caused by my poorly applied gloss coat.

Kev

You're gonna laugh or say "no way" when I tell you this....every one does....but this is what I use for my gloss coats whether it be one for decaling purposes or for a gloss finish on an auto build. Painlessly easy to use and clean and gets perfect results every time.

Badger Model 350 External Mix Airbrush | MisterArt.com

Edited by mustang1989

45 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

You're gonna laugh or say "no way" when I tell you this....every one does....but this is what I use for my gloss coats whether it be one for decaling purposes or for a gloss finish on an auto build. Painlessly easy to use and clean and gets perfect results every time.

Badger Model 350 External Mix Airbrush | MisterArt.com

Oddly enough, I actually have a no-name version of that stuffed in a drawer somewhere!

Kev

5 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I used a Badger 350 for years and years, never had a bad thing to say about it.

Nearing the finish line now, with the weathering and assembly mostly complete:

3ziqCC.jpg

Gt3FTz.jpg

5FSIhs.jpg

Ukjb1h.jpg

Not sure how I feel about the weathering to be honest, but I'll sleep on it and take a fresh look tomorrow.

My current to-do list:

• finishing painting the pilots and install;
  • paint and install rear gun;
  • add any final weathering;
  • final flat coat;
  • remove and paint inside of canopy;
  • demask and install canopy parts;
  • mount on stand;
  • buy another one!

Kev

NOIIIIIICE! The Bandai speeder is a work of art! You did it justice...and it is so fun to do as well. I thought the Finemolds was fabulous but Bandai blows it out of the water! Wish I had more to have fun with!.......and I wish there was a AT-AT in 1/48 too.