Is Tamiya's 1/32 F4U Corsair really worth it ?

ScaleLady

Hello fellow modelers!

Despite the fact, i'm still building my F-14 i'm already planning my next builds.

I would like to create 2 models that i would hang on the ceiling to simulate fight..... A6M Zero and F4U Corsair (1/32).

While looking for Corsair kit i found two from different companies... first from Tamiya (150 EUR) and second from Trumpeter (40 EUR), and i was really surprised with price diference....
My question is: is it really worth it to buy kit from tamiya for 150 EUR ? Is there big detail diference between these two kits ? 

P.S. If you had to buy these two planes (Corsair and Zero) what kits would you buy (company, or you can write down specific kit) ?

Thanks ! :)

,The Tamiya Corsair blows Trumpeter away when it comes to detail, fit and accuracy.  Trumpeter has an inaccurate cockpit with a solid floor, has fiddly flaps but can be built up nice with work.  You might not even see the cockpit if its a ceiling hanger.  Personally, the Corsair is my favorite WWII fighter, so I would pick Tamiya over the competition.  Then again, I don't hang my models but display them where you can see the details up close.

I have not built any Zeros, but I have heard Tamiya's again is fantastic.   Hasegawa's zero is supposed to be really nice too, and it probably cheaper.  For a ceiling hanger, I'd probably opt with the cheaper of the two

Globally the question is similar to that one: I saw a Porsche that is costing four times the price of the John Doe's sedan car. Is it worth that price? And is it worth the expense if intend to leave it parked in a dark garage? Personally I would reply 'Yes' and 'No' to the different questions!

The Tamiya F-4U is without doubt the finest engineered and fitting model kit that I have ever built to date and that kit numbers amongst Tamiya's own 32 scale Spitfires, Zero, P-51 and F-16 when making that submission along with a number of WNW kits.

If you want the ultimate experience in the modern kit makers art, go Tamiya. If you want to hang it from the roof as you say then the old but still OK (ish) Revell 1/32 Corsair will fulfill your needs. Trumpeter's F-4's are expensive for what they are so unless you get one for a 'giveaway' price.

As mentioned, just to hang on fishing line from the roof, the Revell kit will be just fine.

Gary

Also have a look on Scalemates which usually has a copy of the assembly instructions for each kit.

From them I can usually distinguish which is the more detailed kit, however 99.9% of the time Tamiya blows everything else out of the water! 

Cheers,

Mark

To hang from the ceiling, for both I'd go with a 21st Century Toys kit. If you can find them. And the models, not the pre-finished ones.  Especially as gear up, you won't have to worry about the poor landing gear and other toy like features.  Fill in the holes for screws, and you've got a pretty good looking model for cheap. I made one back in 2006 for my son and it's still hanging in his room. He's in college and refuses to let me take it down.

F4U-1A/D Corsair, 21st Century Toys 22104 (2005) (scalemates.com) and review here: 21st Century Toys 22104 1/32 F4U-1A/D Corsair Kit First Look (cybermodeler.com)

Mitsubishi A6M3 Zero Type 22, 21st Century Toys 22114 (2006) (scalemates.com)

-Peter

Edited by easixpedro

Concur with everyone else here; Tamiya's Corsair is an absolutely gorgeous kit, but WAY over the top for something to hang from the ceiling - there would be no way to appreciate the jewel that the kit builds up into.

The old Revell Corsair has a good shape; it's main failings are cockpit and landing gear deficienies - both of which are offset by the fact that you want to hang it from the ceiling (presumably with the landing gear "up").  I wouldn't even bother with a new-tool Hasegawa Zero to go with it; again it's overkill for the intended use.  An old-tool Hasegawa, or even one of the old Revell Zeros, would fit the bill just fine - careful assembly and a nice finish will get you where you want to go.

Ive build the revell and recently 2 trumpeter corsair. 

I would build the Trumpeter over the revell any day, that being said the Trumpeter kit is not a shake and bake, i had extra pain because i built both with folded wings! 

The biggest pain point was the gun doors and the wing fold. 

I have no doubt the Tamiya kit is better in everyway! But for a ceiling hanger where you will not see, cockpit, landing gear engine, i would build the trumpeter kit. I got mine at luckymodel for 28$ while using the 2$ flat shipping, that just not beatable!

I built the Revell kit as a teenager, it is good as a ceiling hanger.  I don't keep my LSP builds, I sell them then I don't have to worry about space.  I have built two of the Tamiya Corsairs and they are amazing.  Not a kit to hang on the ceiling though.  

6 hours ago, ScaleLady said:

P.S. If you had to buy these two planes (Corsair and Zero) what kits would you buy (company, or you can write down specific kit) ?

Hi ScaleLady,

For aerial models, I’d go with Revell’s vintage Corsair and Hasegawa’s vintage Zero. A nice snapshot of scale modeling history, and they still look good.

Cheers,

Adam