"cobi" 1/32nd scale Blackhawk.......

Jack

This is something different from what we build usually, a spin-off from Lego, Cobi stones from Poland, and it's a 1/32nd scale Blackhawk model, which is "fighting" me all the way........

Just imagine building the particularly small stone items on and in to eachother and then either missing some "stones" or the sub assembly is just "exploding " on you because you're putting too much pressure on it in order to get the total picture together.........i have a tile floor.......so if those parts are getting on the floor with some impact with "kenetic" energy you'd have to search for it everywhere.........

Anyhow, i'll get some pictures to go with it in a short while.........

What sets cobi apart from Lego is the engineering of the kit itself.

...and the instructions.

...and the quality control (i.e. missing parts)

Cobi is neat and they do subjects Lego would never do, but their kits are often frustrating and fragile.  My son and I have built their Titanic, Bismarck, and quite a few of their airplanes, and they have all had some kind of issue.  

Stefan, you might be right in your acceptance of cobi, but since the trademark LEGO wasn't "valid" anymore, it expired a couple of years ago,  i guess other enterprises like Cobi and some companies from China filled in "some" other space.

And aside the costs for these items being lower than a comparable LEGO item, like others said Cobi took up some " niche" in presenting other interesting subjects, which haven't been released by LEGO before.........

9 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Cobi is nothing more then a cheap rip-off copy of LEGO, and I wouldn´t touch it!

I´m a LEGO-fan and I do not like C! :fight:

Stefan :beer:

No Stefan. Cobi are designing their own kits. They do not copy LEGO models. They copied the assembly method as it is not protected anymore by a trademark as Jack explained it. Keep in mind both companies are located in Europe. So, this would be a very risky game to use the same strategy than some Chinese companies (that produce full copies of LEGO kits). I can compare with LEGO as I assembled tons of both with my son. LEGO quality control is close to perfect in ALL models. COBI is not in the same league. While some kits have a quality very close to the LEGO one, others are pigs to assemble to stay polite... Instructions do not have the same clarity and some assemblies are bad. For instance, the tracks of their M4/M10 are a total mess. So, this is a mixed bag but as already mentioned the price is clearly not comparable.

They may design their own kits, yes, and they do some things LEGO would never do (...and I wish LEGO would do...).

But the parts are copies from LEGO, and that makes them all-out copies for me.

I´m aware that the Lego owned patent have expired, but they are still copying LEGO, even if It´s legal today.

Airfix have done several LEGO-like kits (cars and Aircrafts) but in co-operation with LEGO and that is entirely fine with me.

You can´t beat the feel or quality you get from the LEGO parts and instructions and that have It´s price of course.

Well you can say it´s like comparing an Italeri kit with Today´s Tamiya, You get what you pay for.

This is MY OWN view on this matter, If you enjoy Cobi, go for it.

Regards!

Stefan :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

Well, to have some more pictures, besides the discussion, and i must say it REALLY fought me to build, especially the tail section, very fragile, and in general the whole kit was over engineerd IMHO, but eventually it represented a Blackhawk "stone-wise":

v4P4rjl.jpg

bcKtWLH.jpg

Edited by Jack