Competing with Yourself

MikeC

There are some interesting points in there. 

For me at the moment ive stopped posting in the WIP section based on the fact that for some reasons (yes most likely more than one) my last 5-10 barely got any comments, and it really demotivated me in my progression. 

Ive done some quick research to see if it was the kits/markings that just had low interest but found builds of the same topic to have 10-200x interactions/comments on. 

To the point of that article, ive decided to build for me, I do miss the support i use to get from the WIP's but less then the feeling nobody likes my work from low interaction count 

Thanks for sharing the article

2 hours ago, Neo said:

For me at the moment ive stopped posting in the WIP section based on the fact that for some reasons (yes most likely more than one) my last 5-10 barely got any comments, and it really demotivated me in my progression. 

Ive done some quick research to see if it was the kits/markings that just had low interest but found builds of the same topic to have 10-200x interactions/comments on. 

To the point of that article, ive decided to build for me, I do miss the support i use to get from the WIP's but less then the feeling nobody likes my work from low interaction count 

Try not to be too discouraged Neo.  It could be simply a matter of saturation. We have so many talented builders and so many threads that it must take quite a while to view, read and absorb it all.

I suspect the only psychologically healthy way to build (other than a job) is to build first and foremost for your own enjoyment. If others inspire a modification of your style, approach, techniques, even the scale or medium then that's what we hope the site does.

It is nice to get affirmative feedback but like kids, we tend not to find 'attaboy' feedback terribly inspirational.

LSP Kev might be a good contact for tips on building thread interaction.

HTH Matty

A very interesting article Mike, thanks for sharing it, and Yes, there are points raised that resonate with me too.  When I took up modelling again in 2005 (a born-again modeller after a break of 40 years or so) it was to try to re-create a scene with a Lancaster that has special significance to me.  I wasn't aware of modelling forums, modelling shows, competitions etc etc., even modelling magazines!!  So I modelled "in innocence" - did lots of historical research for sure, but the Lancaster was for me and no-one else.

My research had led me to Britmodeller (it was a 1/72 Hasegawa I think) model, so of course I soon started picking up on the forum scene and all that it involves.  Britmodeller was my home till I found LSP in 2014, and of course the "show me yours and I'll show you mine" scene accompanied by bouquets or brick-bats as deemed appropriate by the viewers.  

My modelling scope has evolved, as I hope have my skills, but in every model that I make it's still done for me.....it's a plane that has a reason for me to spend multiple hours on it.  So I do of course post my builds, but only because a) I hope they will be of interest to others and b) because I hope that something in the build will prove useful to somebody else; this is especially true on the Scale model masks forum.  If the build earns likes, thanks etc., great......if not, it's only a plastic model so who cares!

Edited by mozart

Probably like most I took a break from modelling when kids arrived. I picked it back up in 2001 and my natural interest is Boscombe Down, as I grew up right beside it. I’ve slowly made my way up the scales and have made non-BD subjects. I have tried newer releases in smaller scales but simply don’t enjoy them like I do a 1/32.

Like others now I’m older I build what I want and don’t do WIP or GBs’ although I like reading them. I recently did a WIP and it will be my last though. Whilst rewarding for the encouragement and correction I just don’t enjoy as much as sitting at my bench nerding away at my happiest. I might show the photos in a RFI but my photography skills are not a scratch on what some you see on the forum, which is almost a must nowadays, it’s part of modelling. So to remain grounded I just do my thing and it’s more rewarding. I entered a competition once with a 1/72 kit and got Silver, but the whole thing just put me off. I’ve even been asked to be a judge multiple times which I actually didn’t mind, strange:hmmm:.

I am a slow builder as I do a bit them wander off and come back to it. My wife knows 5 mins is probably an hour in the garage sniffing glue with the radio on = nothing else matters in those moments. I’m my biggest critic though which can be tiring when it’s not going right or want this to be a good one; which for me is more detail than usual.

I did the club thing for years then one day just thought nope and left. I’ve had requests to come back but I just don’t know, you know.

My life time goal is to make as many aircraft as I can that I remember from child hood whilst spotting at Boscombe Down in the 70/80’s. I’m nearly there and I could create a decent flight line which to me would be utopia. 

Sorry for the drift in my reply. My Hunter will be dry so going to glue something……..

Edited by Stevepd

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

You may recall we judged together at the Salisbury show one year in the early 00s iirc.

Sorry Mike I just don’t recall. However I’d remember a face years later, but names:doh:

With any luck, we all evolve as modelers, in one direction or another. Folks have various reasons for posting their work here; the adulation seekers, those that just wish to share, those that desire to learn, etc. My personal approach is to build so as to at least be competitive in contests, and this is where I get my greatest satisfaction.

I post here with the hope that I can interact with others and hopefully learn at the same time, and there's nothing too complicated about that.

10 hours ago, Neo said:

Hi Neo.  Like almost everyone, i returned to this hobby as an adult.   But as a kid, i was on some speed run, anxious to be finished with a model.  I taught myself rudimentary airbrush use, puttying seams, very basic. 

When i returned, i was in a high pressure career, and needed a distracting hobby.  I started with 1/35 armor, and forced myself to paint figures until i finally got a third place award at a local show.  That has immensely helped my detail painting.  I also adopted a mantra, i will not move on until i have achieved the best result i can achieve.  Its never perfect, but, often, the third or so attempt is far better than the first.  

i started a WIP of my first LSP, a Hase T bolt i won at a local raffle.  I started in Fed 2017.  Im not finished.  My thread is now 35 pages long.  To be honest, it DOES feel good when someone leaves a flattering comment.  But on my thread, i really value the criticism.  Not negative, but honest comments to help me make a better result.  An example is, i used HGW wet transfers for the prop markings.  They place the logos in the wrong spot.  Woody pointed out the issue, and even sent me new logos to fix it.  Right now i am wrestling with how and where to replicate the drop tank plumbing. Several guys are being super helpful with photos and engineering drawings to try to get it right.  Jay W and TAG have helped in this immensely. I could never do this by myself.   I am absolutely building this for me, to go on my shelf, which i dont even have yet, but i am getting a lot out of this community.  

hopefully in the next couple weeks, i can post an RFI thread.  I know for a fact that for me, this is the best i am capable of, and far better, than anything i could have done without this resource.  I know there are warts, my formerly immaculate reflector for the gunsight was mashed flat countless times before i wised up and put on the windscreen. Live and learn.    

i am always conscious of the fact that many of the posters here have amazing skills that i can only aspire to, but even that makes me a better builder. 

post up a thread, i will follow it with interest. 

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

With any luck, we all evolve as modelers, in one direction or another. Folks have various reasons for posting their work here; the adulation seekers, those that just wish to share, those that desire to learn, etc. My personal approach is to build so as to at least be competitive in contests, and this is where I get my greatest satisfaction.

I post here with the hope that I can interact with others and hopefully learn at the same time, and there's nothing too complicated about that.

It's discouraging though when you pour alot of time and effort into a model whether it be assembly, scratchbuilding, painting or what have you and all you get is likes and maybe a comment here or there, and yet others have bookoo comments on their build.

Been there, done that and got the Tshirt!

It's not the attention you crave, but you hope your work is good enough to be commented on as that pushes you to keep going. 

When all it gets is smiley face likes or loves, it very quickly becomes a disappointment to your hard work and a demotivator.

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

Very interesting observations from everyone.  No two modelers will have the same skill sets, desire for perfection and desire to be recognized (or not), so it’s no surprise that everyone has a bit different view on posting WIP threads or entering model contests.  For me, both of these activities make me a better modeler.

When I create a WIP thread, I know that my work is under a microscope for many to see, especially when I use close-up photography for most of it.  I can’t count the number of times I have completed a stage in the build, taken close-up pics of it and discovered flaws that I did not recognize earlier.  When this happens, I can usually re-do my work and the model is better for it.  When you stick your work out there for all to see, you force yourself to do a better job than you might ordinarily accomplish without external scrutiny.

As for recognition in these WIP threads, I really like the “Like” and other buttons, because it allows those who look at my work give me a “tip of the hat” without an actual “attaboy” response, assuming it is warranted.  Don’t get me wrong, because I love attaboy responses, but they aren’t always necessary and I recognize other modeler’s work the very same way.  Every once in a while, I too give attaboy’s when I see something that really stands out, but most of the time I stick with the Like button, which I click on often.

As for subject matter, my interests are extremely narrow to WWII+ military props and jets, so if the build is a WnW Biplane or an aircraft that I find unattractive, I don’t even look at it, since there are so many other builds going on at any given time and I’d rather spend my time modeling than looking at every build.  I’m not very proud of this stance because it sounds a bit snooty, but it’s true, at least for me.

As for modeling contests, once I have built a model here at LSP in a WIP thread, it has already been pre-judged here in a way, and I usually do really well at contests as a result.  Sure, I don’t always win and sure, I often find flaws in contest judging, but I really like to see what other modelers have created in person and discuss my models with those who enquire about them.  Model contests are not always positive experiences and I’ve attended a few contests where I was certain that I was robbed, but overall, I enjoy the contest experience and you have to take a few lumps with the trophies.

And the overall reason I like doing WIP threads and entering model contests, is that whether we like it or not, our nerdy hobby isn’t all that popular in the mainstream.  None of my friends or relatives really “get” why I bother to spend hundreds of hours on building one model, so unless I share my work here at LSP or at a few modeling contests with those who understand a good build from a poor one, it’s a pretty darn lonely hobby.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3